Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

As others have said, I don't think any injured player should be allowed to be demoted (traded, yes, that's fine). I'd really like to see the 10 day in minors rule added as well but I realize that might have a negative effect on the AI.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
As others have said, I don't think any injured player should be allowed to be demoted (traded, yes, that's fine). I'd really like to see the 10 day in minors rule added as well but I realize that might have a negative effect on the AI.
This could be hard to implement because teams are allowed to call a player back up in less than 10 days if that player is replacing a guy who went on the DL. I know absolutely nothing about coding a computer game, but I'd imagine it would be hard to put that rule in correctly.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #23
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

"The player is injured, put him on the DL instead!"

Aren't day to day injuries official reported injuries?
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #24
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd really like to see the 10 day in minors rule added as well but I realize that might have a negative effect on the AI.
MLB hasn't allowed 24-hour recalls of options players since the 1950s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
This could be hard to implement because teams are allowed to call a player back up in less than 10 days if that player is replacing a guy who went on the DL. I know absolutely nothing about coding a computer game, but I'd imagine it would be hard to put that rule in correctly.
I don't see why it would. It's simply one (of a few) exceptions to the 10-day requirement. The others include if the player's minor league club's season is over and if the player is traded to another organization.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

As others have mentioned, the CBA is strict about this sort of thing: a player cannot be sent to the minors in lieu of being placed on the major league disabled list. There are only a couple of very limited exceptions.

[One of these allows an injured player unable to play to be sent to the minors (outright or optionally) during spring training only if (a) the player has less than 3 years of major league service; (b) it wouldn't be his second career outright if the assignment is an outright one; (c) the player had NO major league service the prior season; and (d) the player was not selected in the Rule 5 draft. An eligible player can be sent to the minors up to roughly half-way through spring training; after that, he cannot be sent down if injured. There's also a window following the end of the regular season, but I don't have the particulars of that exception handy.]
Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #26
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm more concerned about it making it even tougher for the AI to construct a 25 man roster when injuries happen. There would need to be some pretty significant changes to demotion/promotion logic I'd think. Teams would have to be a lot more hesitant to make roster moves if they have to wait for 10 days.

I agree, if all that got ironed out, it would be a huge plus to the sim. I do think it's a lot to ask for in a patch though. Markus has surprised me before though!
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see the 10 day rule in OOTP, but there's one problem.

Namely, is the AI smart enough to promote and demote players with that rule in mind? Or will Curtis Borkholder just be promoted and demoted every 11 days...
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #28
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm more concerned about it making it even tougher for the AI to construct a 25 man roster when injuries happen. There would need to be some pretty significant changes to demotion/promotion logic I'd think. Teams would have to be a lot more hesitant to make roster moves if they have to wait for 10 days.
From about 1953 to 1964 in MLB there was a rule which prevented a player from being optioned or recalled after July 31st though the end of the minor league season (injury replacement excepted). That's about a month and a half where a major league club couldn't send down or bring up players from the minors. Imagine the kind of constraints on roster moves that engendered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
I'd like to see the 10 day rule in OOTP, but there's one problem.

Namely, is the AI smart enough to promote and demote players with that rule in mind? Or will Curtis Borkholder just be promoted and demoted every 11 days...
As opposed to now where it options and recalls him every other day?

Personally, I tend to think a ten-day restriction would help lessen roster moves since it enforces a sort of 'quiet period' on that player.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #29
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, the negative impact is the burden on Markus to code the logic, but the idea is great. It'd slow the movement, rather than tossing players about like badminton birdies and force the minor leagues (or the faux GMs) to use other players to fill the slots continually created. The REAL negative, IMHO, is it'll be just another area where players play a ton of positions because the number of permutations prohibits looking at who can really play or should play at the position. At least in the minor leagues, it's a bit more expected that they should shift their talents around a bit, looking for a fit.