Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
RamMan12
Major Leagues

Learning New Positions In Historical League

Can anyone tell me how to set up my historical league so that players can learn new positions like in fictional leagues? In last year's version I was able to teach Honus Wagner 3B and keep it learned in one of my leagues but can't figure out how to do it now for some reason.
RamMan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Hank O
Minors (Rookie Ball)

My only suggestion is to play them there. But be careful. HAL seems to know where players belong, and can make things difficult for you if you try to buck history. I'm currently playing the 1902 season, and have Nap Lajoie as my 2b.
I also have John S. Farrell on my team, drafted as a CF. But in 1902, he turned in one of the greatest defensive performances of the era at 2b. He can still play cf, so I fought HAL to keep him there. So what does HAL do to get me to play Farrell at 2b? On 19 Aug. I lose Nap for 7 months with a torn ACL, with my Senators 1 1/2 out of first. Farrell will get his 2b gold glove in spite of my best efforts.
Hank O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan12 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to set up my historical league so that players can learn new positions like in fictional leagues? In last year's version I was able to teach Honus Wagner 3B and keep it learned in one of my leagues but can't figure out how to do it now for some reason.
Originally I believe Honus came in as a CF/RF. I had 2 HOF OF's in Hugh Duffy and Wee Willie Keeler so I moved Honus to SS. Obviously he became a SS IRL so he learned the position quickly.
In one league I turned Ozzie Guillen into a 2B since i had Ozzie Smith at SS.

Put them there during Spring Training or in the minor leagues and they should have a 1-3 rating there in about 25-35 games. Just make sure they have an IF or OF or C rating above 1( OF 4+ IF 5+ C 3+) otherwise they will suck defensively.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't use recalc.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
RamMan12
Major Leagues

I actually have recalc off. I'm playing a revisionist history of the 2000s Cubs where Kerry Wood and Mark Prior stay awesome starters instead of breaking down.

What I did in 12 was move Honus to 3B because I had the Tinker-Evers-Chance DP combo and once I turned off recalc, he learned 3B easily and then kept the rating over the offseason.

I've had recalc off the entire time and somehow I had a player at 3B all season and his rating never increased past 1/100.

The thing is, it seems like recalc is on even though it's not checked.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually have recalc off. I'm playing a revisionist history of the 2000s Cubs where Kerry Wood and Mark Prior stay awesome starters instead of breaking down.

What I did in 12 was move Honus to 3B because I had the Tinker-Evers-Chance DP combo and once I turned off recalc, he learned 3B easily and then kept the rating over the offseason.

I've had recalc off the entire time and somehow I had a player at 3B all season and his rating never increased past 1/100.

The thing is, it seems like recalc is on even though it's not checked.
I just played the 1902 regular season. Honus knows how to play almost every position. He plays SS for me since I have John McGraw at 2B and Bill Egan? at 3B (forgot who my starting 3B is now)
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
RamMan12
Major Leagues

I'm still unable to get fielding experience to update in my historical leagues. I have two leagues going right now with different options enabled/disabled and there is still no change. I've also noticed that there is some sort of recalc on but I do not have it checked. For instance, Billy Traber went from having a stamina of 51/100 to 1/100 over an offseason.

Is anyone else having a similar problem? The last few versions this problem only arose if recalc was on but I do not have it checked at all.