Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Database Tools
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Mods - Database Tools Do you need to take a dump? SQL gurus welcome

Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #21
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
MLyouhavetoomanyfreakinglettersinyourscreename

I have not tried Spritz' Random DB yet, so I am not sure what your dilemma is.
Do you not get it to work?

If not try this and I only suggest this since I use BristolDuke's Random DB from 11 now on 12. When you go to create your historical league go to Show Advanced Options and make sure you select the random DB master.cvs file. Then do the rest. I would suggest not importing history.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #22
MLHFFYP
Minors (Double A)

Regarding Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
MLyouhavetoomanyfreakinglettersinyourscreename

I have not tried Spritz' Random DB yet, so I am not sure what your dilemma is.
Do you not get it to work?

If not try this and I only suggest this since I use BristolDuke's Random DB from 11 now on 12. When you go to create your historical league go to Show Advanced Options and make sure you select the random DB master.cvs file. Then do the rest. I would suggest not importing history.
I do have the path set correctly but I will explain why I want the setup to be done in the best way possible.

Spritze has said that you can start anywhere between 1871-2010. But if you start in 1910, like I want to, then you could run into the problem that I did.

The players did come in with several different eras represented. But in the setup I did not change the league values for doubles, triples, and the other categories so the ones for 1910 were used. I ran the first year without playing any games individually and the home run leader for one league was Mel Ott who had 11. Tony Solaita led the other with 9. Some of the other stats were skewered as well for pitchers and batters.

Now reading the thread started by Vesuvius for the random database for OOTP 10, he puts in specific values and directions for the league totals modifiers. He does that so that the stats resulting from play won't be "majorly whack".

This makes sense because with cross-era play I think you would have a baseline so that everything is on a level footing for all players.

I am hoping that Spritze will be able to give some insight on this and other setup options. He knows what he is doing and can, hopefully, give some good tips.
MLHFFYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #23
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Good Tipping

As long as this tipping does not involve cows or outhouses you can simply play the game the way you like.

In 1910 league hr leaders of 8 and 10 are totally reasonable. But if you want the steroid era simply import 2002 or some such. If you want the deadball era leave it at the default 1910 settings.

It's your game play it the way you want to.

Personally I leave all the league settings alone and simply see how it all plays out in the different eras. Example...... David Ortiz lead the major leagues in HR's in 1874 with 3. Dick (Richie) Allen finished second with 2. I think stuff like that is cool. Mark Prior had 43 wins and an 0.95 ERA in 1881.

I'm a new convert to random play but I don't expect to play any other way anymore. It is awesomely awesome in an awesome sorta way.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #24
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

My apologies for being away for so long. Personal issues and issues with 12 led to my being away from the game. It looks like I might have some time again, so I can at least contribute on my own thread.

Thanks to Spritze for defining some basic steps. As he has indicated, all one needs is expertise with excel.

MLHFFYP:
My belief is that you got expected results (maybe not what you expected). The steps you followed were essentially correct. I think the question you need to ask yourself is what are the realistic results you are expecting. Random is a great experience because there are so many ways to approach it. The game thinks it is 1910, so it will use modifiers which will produce those type of results, regardless of the players. If you put deadball batters and pitchers in the 1950s their performance would be altered as well. My "simple" solution is to start random seasonsin 1920, you still get a wide variety but you don't have the oppressive deadball.

That said, I have started in many years, you could start in 2010 have all the players play in modern statistics (another popular choice). Spritze's files can't do this (my apologies Spritze if I'm incorrect here but based upon your answers I am assuming how you put your DBs together). It appears Spritze just randomized the players between 1871 and 2010. So when you start in 1910 what everever players played before that you won't see. So if you start in 2010, there are only 1 years worth of players. Another approach is to modify the DB to your start year. Now all the players are available because your start year is the first year in the DB.

That was the service I was providing for 11, sort of a custom DB. As you can see from the first post I only needed to know a little info and then I was esentially doing what what Spritze described. The old program, Versus's?, simply won't work except for version 9, due to the changes in the files. My, and I believe Spritze's as well, essentially work for any version of OOTP. They also can be upgraded thru versions as well with very little effort.

I have upgraded my process a bit, so that I can exclude players (a lot of people don't want Federal league or single season scrubs.), and now I have generated franchise databases (the team/team franchise relationship in the files, they are Lahman files, are inaccurate.).

With respect to the league stats, you can also change the era-*.txt files in the database folder. Understand this changes it for all your leagues but again depending upon what you want to accomplish. This way you could create the steriod ear in 1910. (NOTE TO SPRITZE : the total_modifiers_neutralized file doesn't have headers. Can you provide me with the list of fields?) Changing these files eliminates the need to manually do it, if you want.

It is recommeded that you use neutralized data for random, but you can have some fun with real stats as well. For example one of my franchise DBs have the players all arrive in sequence. I start in 1901, so they are populated with 1800s players in that first season. In this case, since it is close to historical, I just use the real life stats. Also you can vary your random DB results depending upon how you set up re-calc.

That is the short course of random.
Commish of the On-Line Dynasty League
SIMBL2 - Westbury Cannons
Great Lakes Baseball - Toledo Neptunes
World Baseball - Guantanamo Marines
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Bristolduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #25
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolduke View Post
(NOTE TO SPRITZE : the total_modifiers_neutralized file doesn't have headers. Can you provide me with the list of fields?)
I am headers knowledgeless as well.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #26
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Spritze's files can't do this (my apologies Spritze if I'm incorrect here but based upon your answers I am assuming how you put your DBs together). It appears Spritze just randomized the players between 1871 and 2010. So when you start in 1910 what everever players played before that you won't see. So if you start in 2010, there are only 1 years worth of players. Another approach is to modify the DB to your start year. Now all the players are available because your start year is the first year in the DB.
This is a slight Incorrectancy, If one starts in 2010 in the currently available DB there are 10-15 years to be played before the db runs out of historical players. It is meant to be played 1871-2025. To get ANY set of years the player can simply change the randbetween function to (as an example [2010,2110] or [1901,2025]) or any other set of dates they wish to use.

I have 20 more random DB's that use a variety of RandBetween functions. Once feedback arrives I'll release more. One change I plan on making is having a few more players available in any DB's first year. It can be kind of tight at times although since this is random it can be also loose at times.

That's what I like about random, anything can happen.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
Bristolduke
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
One change I plan on making is having a few more players available in any DB's first year. It can be kind of tight at times although since this is random it can be also loose at times.

That's what I like about random, anything can happen.
That is certainly an issue with the random set up. I don't use the Year as a variable to RAND function. I it set up as a minimum starting pool. That is why I recommend AT LEAST 40 players in the initial pool, 50 would be better. It also allows me to set up a consistent annual pool.

I do almost only random leagues any more.
Commish of the On-Line Dynasty League
SIMBL2 - Westbury Cannons
Great Lakes Baseball - Toledo Neptunes
World Baseball - Guantanamo Marines
OMLB - Cincinnati Reds
Bristolduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #28
MLHFFYP
Minors (Double A)

Input

Spritze,

In the initial draft George Wright is brought in as a SS but has pitching ratings of 100 across the board with a stamina of 11 and his age is 27. In his real career he pitched a total of 5 innings with an era of 6.75. At this age I can see him getting a pitching rating but shouldn't it be very low as he was not in any way a good pitcher. As it is, his ratings should be much, much, lower.

I would recommend in setup to make sure that age parameters are set. I did not in one of my games and I had some players come in at the age of 50 and above.

Spritze, is there any difference or advantage to using the master.csv as opposed to using the historical_database.odb?

Is the database included the one you developed with the great Negro League players like John Henry Lloyd and Smokey Joe Williams? If not, do you plan on using that database for a future random database?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Randomizationalismness

Quote:
It also allows me to set up a consistent annual pool.
Consistent is not random.

Art thou a secret consistenter? In the consistent closet so to speak? The truth always comes out in the end..............
Old 11-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #30
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Make sure you have the latest version. I did not include the master.csv in the original. It was left behind on my desktop on accident. That is the cause of the age thing.

Yes I plan on a random Spritze HS database. I'd do it this weekend but it's my birthday tomorrow and festivities are ensuing.

The odb just allows one to start halfway through the db efficiently.

Do what you like, there are no rules.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #31
MLHFFYP
Minors (Double A)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
Make sure you have the latest version. I did not include the master.csv in the original. It was left behind on my desktop on accident. That is the cause of the age thing.

Yes I plan on a random Spritze HS database. I'd do it this weekend but it's my birthday tomorrow and festivities are ensuing.

The odb just allows one to start halfway through the db efficiently.

Do what you like, there are no rules.
Thanks, Spritze for the information.

It would be fantastic to get a random version of your database. Pete Hill playing along side Joe Cronin would be something. Here's hoping you can make it available for us.

Happy birthday and thanks for your efforts!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #32
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHFFYP View Post
Happy birthday and thanks for your efforts!
There will be cake ! ! !

Breakfast Cake !

Lunch Cake !

Cake before dinner, Cake with dinner and after dinner Cake !
Old 12-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #33
Lee
Global Moderator

Just have to say how much I am enjoying this database, great effort Spritze.

I love going to the draft pool each season and seeing who will be joining the league.

I started with an 10 team NL, set up 32 team triple A and Single A leagues and have added an 8 team AL (6 new teams, 2 from NL moving) in 1876.

Currently in 1881 and have enough players to add an 8 team Federal League. These are all actually divisions under a single major league setup and I will finish by adding an 8 team Pacific Coast league in 1890, then take over a team in 1900 and "start" my game.

Really working well so far.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #34
dcundy
Minors (Single A)

random database yes!!

Spritze,

I am interested in a special type of random database one that would condense all of baseball into 30 or so years not 113? what i mean is that i would like to start in 1871 with the players of that year but in the years to follow i would like to add players that debuted in 1901 or after to maybe debut earlier. what i am trying to accomplish is having babe ruth and joe dimaggio on the same roster where babe is 30 and joe d is like 20 something. hope this is making sense.
I am also interested in having access to the random dbs you created.

dj
dcundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:25 AM   #35
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

PM me to get the database link.

BTW I have a Spritze HS db that I am using where all players in MLB history debut betwen 1951 and 1960, right now I am in 1973. I plan on putting this out at some point in the near future. It has a 48 team Major League so lots of players get to play. I tried it with fewer teams but Hall-Of-Famers often got stuck and never saw the light of day.