Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
jkdhoo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Notice: Player Defensive Experience Reset

Hey guys, I just wanted to make sure everyone is aware that the player experience earned was wiped out when promoted to the new league. I had trained Roger Maris to be an above average CF but I'll have to stick him back in RF after the league promotion. I don't know if this will happen every time but I would guess so. Just an FYI if you had been working on multiple positions in the feeder league!
jkdhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I think they keep their learned experience in defense once they are out of the Pool and start regular leagues. It seems that I remember Markus saying Pool abilities learned would not carry over.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

I hope so. I was retraining players at 3 positions last year so that hurts.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Maddox
All Star Reserve

How does retraining work? Lets say I find a RF only who I want to play in LF? Will they become a passable left fielder if I play them every day?
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yes, defensive experience gets reset coming out of the entry pool, but it should carry over between league seasons going forward.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Galeg
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
How does retraining work? Lets say I find a RF only who I want to play in LF? Will they become a passable left fielder if I play them every day?
A formula using OF range, arm, and error will give someone max position ratings they can eventually learn in the OF. Any competent CF or RF should be able to learn to play LF well, as I believe that has the lowest requirements.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

does it take their current arm/error/etc ratings and extrapolate numbers for their new position, or will that be completely random?

wondering if I took an IF or OF and tried to train them as a catcher, how would their catcher's ability look.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
does it take their current arm/error/etc ratings and extrapolate numbers for their new position, or will that be completely random?

wondering if I took an IF or OF and tried to train them as a catcher, how would their catcher's ability look.
The component ratings won't change in PT. So if a guy doesn't have a catcher ability rating right now, no matter how much you play him as a Catcher, he won't learn it in PT.

Some guys do have some component ratings. So, for example, Trevor Story has some OF range/error/arm ratings, so you could eventually (~1 season?) train him to play an OF position. He probably won't be good, but could play it with time. Some won't - my 2004 Ichiro card would probably never be able to get an IF rating no matter how much I played him there.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the warning. Very irritating that they did this.
ike121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, defensive experience gets reset coming out of the entry pool, but it should carry over between league seasons going forward.
Should? I hope that I'm not killing my team by playing Jordon Adell at LF, Jose Altuve at SS, and Bobby Crosby at 2B for nothing this year... I've started out 1-2 so far despite having a massive talent advantage over the teams I've played mostly because poor Jose Altuve has committed 4 errors at SS and has a -2.0 ZR already.

Last edited by ASURay; 12-03-2018 at 01:11 PM.
ASURay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike121212 View Post
Thanks for the warning. Very irritating that they did this.
I knew it was going to happen as they had mentioned it a week or so ago but I played guys out of position in the entry pool anyways just to see how good they'd get. I had Jordon Adell all that way up to a 70 rating in LF (he's a good CF and a great RF). Sad to see it back at zero.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #12
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASURay View Post
I knew it was going to happen as they had mentioned it a week or so ago but I played guys out of position in the entry pool anyways just to see how good they'd get. I had Jordon Adell all that way up to a 70 rating in LF (he's a good CF and a great RF). Sad to see it back at zero.
I hadn't heard it and it messes with my team significantly too.

It's an illogical thing to do. Entry pool is exactly where you should learn new positions. Anyone who doesn't check in here is now wondering if they reset every season, with good reason.
ike121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #13
zrog2000
All Star Starter

It really has never made sense to me that a good CF would have a 0 rating in LF or RF if he has never played there. There should be a higher minimum rating for positions that should be easy for a player to switch to even with no experience. (CF to RF/LF or SS to 2B, etc.) It's not like learning a brand new sport.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #14
el_gringo
Minors (Triple A)

Oof, was wondering if my team started off 1-3 due to bad luck or something... Turns out having 4 players on the field with zero defensive ratings where they're currently playing means a lot of errors
el_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
It really has never made sense to me that a good CF would have a 0 rating in LF or RF if he has never played there. There should be a higher minimum rating for positions that should be easy for a player to switch to even with no experience. (CF to RF/LF or SS to 2B, etc.) It's not like learning a brand new sport.
I'm pretty sure the core defensive ratings (range/arm/errors) still have a pretty big effect. A CF with great ratings but 0 experience in left would probably play better than a 40 rated left fielder who is one of those 1B/LF types.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #16
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
I'm pretty sure the core defensive ratings (range/arm/errors) still have a pretty big effect. A CF with great ratings but 0 experience in left would probably play better than a 40 rated left fielder who is one of those 1B/LF types.
Well that makes sense! It's just a little worrisome when you see the LF rating: 3 after playing 1 game there.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #17
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

Can pitchers learn new pitches?
Motorhead667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #18
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
You and me both. It would make way more sense, IMO if guys started off with some baseline ability at every position based on their fielding ratings (range/arm/error/DP) and then could add to that with experience. No one can craft a reasonable argument for Andrelton Simmons, for example being one of the worst defensive 2B in the league for 100 games while he "learns" to play 2B despite being arguably the best defensive SS. Heck, many major leaguers learn a new position in a week or two during spring training while working with a positional coach. The positional rating should be like 85% ability and 15% experience.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #19
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike121212 View Post
I hadn't heard it and it messes with my team significantly too.

It's an illogical thing to do. Entry pool is exactly where you should learn new positions. Anyone who doesn't check in here is now wondering if they reset every season, with good reason.
The entry pool is just a place to park teams until they can get in a league, I think. None of the info is saved. You can't go back and view entry pool stats, for example.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #20
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
I don't think this is the case. From my experience as well as things I've seen devs mention on here over the years, positional rating is the determining factor for defensive performance. I remember running Seattle in an old version of the game (v13, maybe?) and playing Brendan Ryan at 2B. He was a ~99 defender at SS but had no 2B experience. Over the first half of the season he had like 20 errors and a massive, negative ZR at 2B.