Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Virginia, USA under a bridge in a van down by the river
I won't do this again...

So I bought OOTP on sale yesterday (3rd version of the series for me). I am playing some to re-familiarize myself with the game. Playing the Yankees, I decide mid April to sim a couple of weeks, one week at a time.

Tragedy struck when I gave AI GM Brian Cashman control of the roster while I simed the two weeks. I look at my mail and find he put CF Hicks on waivers - picked up by Detroit. Feeling confident, he then traded Rf Aaron Judge for the 31 year old 1B of the Cleveland Indians.

Now I have never forgave Cashman after reading Joe Torre's book about how he was ousted. This tears it.

Seriously, I just want to manage. How do I do that without the AI GM tearing the team apart?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

You can play as GM and Manager.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
DaBears
Major Leagues

For some reason, it is like the game was coded in OOTP 19 to have NYY put Hicks on waivers, because I started a ton of games and saw this happen (I believe) every single time. Like you, I prefer to play as manager-only for a variety of reasons, but it can be very difficult to do. You do have the ability to sort of reset your GM to what you want, if you choose. Some would call this cheating, and I am 50/50 on it, but the reality is to say flat-out it is cheating implies that the game accurately reflects current day preferences. Thus, if you want, go into the editor for your GM and set him up as you believe he would act in real life. If you look into those settings, it will quickly make you see why a few of the odd moves that do not in any way resemble real life play out.

I have played around a few times with increasing the ratings of my GM by various amounts, and have kind of come to the conclusion that increasing the four ratings that matter for a GM by 20 points each and tweaking the roster preferences to match what I believe they do in real life, I get a close enough to reality game out of it. Again, some will say this is cheating, and I do get that. However, I am not trying to prove something playing a video game. I just want to enjoy it and have it be as close to real life as I can get. Note, I do let the game go from there and do not make any adjustments. To me, that gets me past the initial “what were they thinking” and I can deal with the changes that come about as seasons play out.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Tweaking GM ratings doesn't strike me as the least bit like cheating. There's no "prescience" rating that would enable an AI GM to foresee whether players will improve, stay the same or decline.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I really didn't want to have to worry about line-ups of Minors, injuries etc. I guess I am going to have to find a way of being the GM that is a pain to me.

I restarted my season, and once again the Indians offered me the same 31 year old 1B for Judge. The Red Sox also offered me Chris Sale for Gary Sanchez.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

unfortunately when you manage you're at the mercy of the GM to change your rosters at any given time. This one is strange, but i've heard others mention Cashman trading Judge when they merely manage. i'd GM & manage, and let the asst. Gm handle all the minor league stuff if that's not in your interests and let minor league managers handle those line-up issues.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
DaBears
Major Leagues

Yes, Cash does also trade Judge in most modern-day sims. Maybe the AI Cash does not like strikeouts.

My guess is the AI GM does not have a way to see Judge and Stanton as non-duplicative. Stanton’s contract is probably not tradeable, so off Judge goes. Just a guess.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
cmaug
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcatcher View Post
I really didn't want to have to worry about line-ups of Minors, injuries etc. I guess I am going to have to find a way of being the GM that is a pain to me.
Try empowering your Assistant GM to handle the tasks that you don't want to be bothered with
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Well, given that Aaron Judge is grossly overvalued currently, Mr. Cashman made the smart move in flipping him for something of lasting value, in this case Yonder Alonso.

Or something like that.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I appreciate all your input. I am a simple old fart baseball fan/gamer who likes to play OOTP when not telling people to get off my lawn.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcatcher View Post

I restarted my season, and once again the Indians offered me the same 31 year old 1B for Judge. The Red Sox also offered me Chris Sale for Gary Sanchez.
I do not worry about those things. I only have to check my minors twice a season unless a player is a top prospect then I look more often.

1) Minor roster sizes are 35 and unlimited at Rookie level. This means my minors can withstand a high number of injuries without my involvement.
2) Ghost players enabled, if my MiLB team has a huge number of injuries then the game can install ghost players until the injuries are over.
3) In GM option I select AI to manage lineups and rotations.
4) After the draft and after ST my minors need attention. I cut players I do not want, I fill out my rosters so each level has the players it needs to field a team and I sign FAs to fill the blanks.
It is a manageable amount of time and the important prospects get the playing time I want.
Good luck,
Tom (LP)