Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

What specific rules have you added to your game for more difficulty?

I'm interested in hearing the way you play your game.

One game that I have playing, I have set rules so that the only way I can acquire players is through the draft. Trading is no, free agents I can't sign and Overall/Potential is set to 1-5 and stars are hidden. It's pretty difficult

I've also heard of taking the worst team in the league and when your team wins the World Series, then you have to take the worst team in the league when you won and start with them. Rinse and repeat, I played that once it was pretty fun.

What ways do you play?
KingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Only the draft!

I cannot imagine how a last-place iOOTP team could ever be brought to the World Series if it can only obtain players through the draft. Is that actually possible? And if it is possible, is it fun going through all those bad seasons looking forward to one day a year?
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
I cannot imagine how a last-place iOOTP team could ever be brought to the World Series if it can only obtain players through the draft. Is that actually possible? And if it is possible, is it fun going through all those bad seasons looking forward to one day a year?
It's pretty crazy... I am working on it

I'd say it's pretty fun, the team is only a 16 team league so the simulation is fast, and I turned off trading

Also with the 16 team league, every team can get a good player in the first and second rounds of the draft

Last edited by KingxX; 07-30-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I'll let you know how it goes
Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
derekjeter92
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Its possible. If you get lucky with your draft class your first pick will be either an ace with low 2 ERA or a monster batter that hits .300 40+ HRs a year for 10+ years. Next year should also have a decent pick too. I also like to sign 1 year deals to older guys and hope they become Type A/B FAs to acquire more picks. You an also possibly get a stud CL in late 1st round sometimes. But obviously with this guy's rules theres no chance at getting more FA draft picks.

Also what I do is I "fire myself" if I dnt succeed over a certian period of time with a team. I started with the Mariners and had 3 stright 100 win seasons (no WS wins) then a mid 80 win season and fired myself. I went to KC (worst team in MLB) and had 4 years of mid 70 wins; fired myself. Went to SF for 10 years without every finishing in 1st despite making playooffs nearly every year (1 WS win) then left to go to the Astros and have been here for around 16 years.

I also dont make trade for players unless they are over 30 and the other team is out of the playoff run. I occasionally trade for young studs if I give up my own or if i give up a good veteran. No 5 for 1 trades or anything tho. I could abuse the system and win WS 4 years in a row like I have, but thats no fun.

Last edited by derekjeter92; 07-30-2013 at 05:17 AM.
derekjeter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Heavy trading

For me, it is still fun building and solidifying a dynasty -- but I know that my teams' success is not due to my baseball genius (I have none of that), it is due to the way the game allows big improvement by way of assiduous trading.

My current team just had a win streak ended at 38. However much my team is better than all the others, once I started paying attention to the streak some of those games were intensely interesting.

It was like playing a string of seventh games in a world series. If such a long win streak happened in real life, fans all over the country would be following every game to see when the streak ended, and by whom, and how.

For me, trying to extend that streak provided far more tense at-bats and pressing in-game decisions than I would have enjoyed were I playing a mediocre team clearly out of the pennant race, just waiting for the amateur draft.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

I've been trying to grow a team's market size to astronomical or at least one step down from there. For some reason, winning 50 world series in 70 years has only made my market size go to 'rather big' with the Chicago Cubs. WTF? How do you think they Yankees got to astronomical?
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
relrel1809
Minors (Rookie Ball)

What specific rules have you added to your game for more difficulty?

I suck lol so no house rules for me lol
relrel1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Relrel, how to not suck

The game will reward you with World Series victories if you spend time trading, and developing a few smart, if modest, trading habits (hardly worth calling strategies). This game is very human-friendly -- although I sometimes think that the AI cheats when it comes to stealing bases (easy for them, harder for carbon-based life forms).
Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Panchobamba
Minors (Double A)

After managing a team that finished first just about every year, I switched to the build-up-a-bad team style of play. I picked a small market, lowest budget team in a fictional league. I couldn't find a penny-pincher owner, but the economizer sounded like what I needed.
After eight years, the team has never won more than 99 games in a season, but has become the premier team in the league, winning three out of the last four WS.
Surprisingly, the budget has gone from 55 million to 120 and the market has grown to average.
I have to say though I loved my 'All-Star' team that would win 105-120 a year, I prefer the realism of a team that fits in with most of the other teams in the league where the top teams will win between 90-100 games. I think the most any team ever won in this league is 112.
Those tight pennant races can be joyous or heartbreaking, just as in real life.
Panchobamba is offline   Reply With Quote