Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Hispanic players

I'm doing a fictional league and it seems like there are way too many hispanic players. Is this normal? I saw in another thrade that the MLB quickstart gave all hispanic names and that was a bug. So in this case do you think it's a bug, bad luck, or normal for an American league to have mostly hispanic names.
Dr. dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

Also if I randomize player names will this help, or just give them a different hispanic name.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

There were two other threads dealing with this as early as yesterday. Check the next page or so. I can't remember what the fix was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

It looks like it may have been random luck that I got a lot of players from hispanic countries or maybe I have the foreign player percent too high (set at the standard 30%).

At any rate it's only confusing because I have four players named Jesus on my team. One of them is the best pitcher in the league. I think I'll give him the nickname "The Savior"
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. dru View Post
It looks like it may have been random luck that I got a lot of players from hispanic countries or maybe I have the foreign player percent too high (set at the standard 30%).

At any rate it's only confusing because I have four players named Jesus on my team. One of them is the best pitcher in the league. I think I'll give him the nickname "The Savior"
In the standard setup, you DO get a lot of Hispanic players, but that is because in real life there are a lot of Hispanic players these days. Most of the foreign players are Hispanic AND a decent percentage of American players are Hispanic as well. Either of these can be edited to your heart's desire.

The only thing that CANNOT be edited is the distribution of foreigners for a league based in the USA. The reason for this is that it is hard-coded in the game to get the distribution the same as real life. And the reason it is hard-coded is because you can't get the percentages just right by only setting baseball levels. If you want to change the baseball levels of countries and have that change the amount of players from that country, then you should base your league outside of the USA (which, by the way, will not prevent all of your teams from being IN the USA, if you want).
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
paulthegamer
Bat Boy

I've had the same problem with my 2011 league. The amateur draft was all Hispanic names not one American or Asian name. Even the guys from Canada had Hispanic names.
paulthegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthegamer View Post
I've had the same problem with my 2011 league. The amateur draft was all Hispanic names not one American or Asian name. Even the guys from Canada had Hispanic names.
That was a bug in the original roster set, make sure you have the corrected one.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthegamer View Post
"This is a bug in the MLB 2011 Quickstart. You can fix it, by going into Commissioner mode and 'Exploring the World' in the drop down manager menu. Select the USA and click on the tab for Nation Editor. Change the default language from Hispanic to Modern USA."

Also you have failed to update your game. This bug is fixed in the update.

This is like the 6th thread about this same problem. I like to help, but this is getting ridiculous. People, please look around a bit before posting a new bug thread next time, okay? Thanks.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 06-25-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Wolves can't spell
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Bishop
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
The only thing that CANNOT be edited is the distribution of foreigners for a league based in the USA. The reason for this is that it is hard-coded in the game to get the distribution the same as real life. And the reason it is hard-coded is because you can't get the percentages just right by only setting baseball levels. If you want to change the baseball levels of countries and have that change the amount of players from that country, then you should base your league outside of the USA (which, by the way, will not prevent all of your teams from being IN the USA, if you want).
I'm not following this exactly. You are referring to the percentages of players being listed as from the Dominican, Mexico, Canada, Japan etc., not simply just the ethnic names, yes?

What would be the difference between basing a league in Canada with all American teams vs. a league in the US with all American teams? Just trying to make sure I follow..
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I'm not following this exactly. You are referring to the percentages of players being listed as from the Dominican, Mexico, Canada, Japan etc., not simply just the ethnic names, yes?

What would be the difference between basing a league in Canada with all American teams vs. a league in the US with all American teams? Just trying to make sure I follow..
If you base a league in the USA, the distribution of foreigners is hard-coded into the game, so as to reflect real life; i.e. more players from the Dominican Republic than Japan even though both countries have a baseball level of 5. You can change the percentage of total foreigners, but not where they come from.

The reason for this is that there is no other way to get the percentages just right.

However, if your league is based outside the USA, the distribution of foreigners is based on the baseball level of the countries; i.e. Japan and the Dominican Republic would get about the same number of players.

You can move your league headquarters (League Home Country) anywhere you want and still have teams anywhere you want. So, if you want to customize the distribution of foreigners by setting the baseball levels in countries, just move your league HQ to Canada (or anywhere but the USA).

However, if you just want to alter the percentage of foreigners in your league, but still want them to be distributed the same as they are in present day major league baseball, all you need to do is change the Foreigner Percentage number to what you want.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
Slade58
Bat Boy

I understand what you are saying Questdog, but why when I set up a new fictional league based in the USA, and edit the world_default XML file to have 100% caucasian, and check 0% foreigners in the setup of the league, I still get players from Sweden, Australia and a large number from Mexico, Canada, Dominican and Venezuela? This was easy to setup in ootp11, but I can't for the life of me figure it out in 12.
Slade58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade58 View Post
I understand what you are saying Questdog, but why when I set up a new fictional league based in the USA, and edit the world_default XML file to have 100% caucasian, and check 0% foreigners in the setup of the league, I still get players from Sweden, Australia and a large number from Mexico, Canada, Dominican and Venezuela? This was easy to setup in ootp11, but I can't for the life of me figure it out in 12.
Well, I have done it for my 1800s league, so it is doable. No idea what you've missed.

Last edited by Questdog; 06-25-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:35 PM   #13
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

If you are wanting to set up a league based on what baseball was like in the past, I can send you my XML file.

There are two Americas in it, the one called "USA" is the one you want to use for your league (else you'll see Koreans and such...).

There are no countries in the file, except ones that have ACTUALLY sent players to the majors and the baseball levels are set to reflect 1876. (You can edit these, if you want.) By the way, to use it for 1876, I recommend setting the foreigner percentage to 8%.

I'll be coming out with a new historical nameset sometime before the turn of the century and this is the file I've made for it.

P.S. Also, if a country has sent players to the US, but the players were really Americans who just happened to be born there (i.e. Afghanistan, Spain, etc.), the ethnicity of names from those countries has been changed to reflect that.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #14
mm7607
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade58 View Post
After you do the initial setup and everything is ready, go to the "Game Setup" page for the league and click on the rules tab. Make sure the "Foreign Players Limit" is set to
"No Foreigners Allowed".
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm7607 View Post
After you do the initial setup and everything is ready, go to the "Game Setup" page for the league and click on the rules tab. Make sure the "Foreign Players Limit" is set to
"No Foreigners Allowed".
This won't keep foreign players from being created; it will only ban teams from signing them.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Holy Toledo!
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
"This is a bug in the MLB 2011 Quickstart. You can fix it, by going into Commissioner mode and 'Exploring the World' in the drop down manager menu. Select the USA and click on the tab for Nation Editor. Change the default language from Hispanic to Modern USA."

This is like the 6th thread about this same problem. I like to help, but this is getting ridiculous. People, please look around a bit before posting a new bug thread next time, okay? Thanks.
¡Gracias! Le debo una cerveza.
Holy Toledo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Toledo! View Post
¡Gracias! Le debo una cerveza.
De nada.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #18
mjlewis
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

I dunno... I'm using 12.1.10 and the ABA quickstart, and my league (with 15% foreign players) is 100% foreign names. And I did search which is how I found this thread!

(later)

But your hint was right. Even though I'm using an updated version, the included quickstarts are still based on the original and have the incorrect language there.

- Mike
mjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlewis View Post
I dunno... I'm using 12.1.10 and the ABA quickstart, and my league (with 15% foreign players) is 100% foreign names. And I did search which is how I found this thread!

(later)

But your hint was right. Even though I'm using an updated version, the included quickstarts are still based on the original and have the incorrect language there.

- Mike
Markus hasn't fixed that yet? !Son chingaderas!

At least that hint helped you. And good on you for using the search tab. Questdog started a little pointed commentary about that and I maybe helped it a little.