Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
zappa1
All Star Starter

Encouraged by 20.5.46

I just played my first game with the latest update and first things first. I didn't have any freeze up. Second, I saw some new plays in the animations and noticed player movements much better as the outfielder run toward the ball to make a catch. I know this was already improved, but to me it looks like it's improved even more. I didn't see any weird plays. I saw a couple of throws from the outfield to the plate that looked much better. I'm sure I will see more new plays as I go along. After all, I only played the one game. Just very glad I had no freeze up. Wanted to put in my early report on the games new update. Looks real good so far. Thanks to the great development team. Nice going.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

My 2 thoughts are that Historical League guys don't have History yet like if were Drafted and can't sort yet by Drafted by so like for Cardinals it would go from A to Z and then guys not Drafted because plan on doing Drafted by Teams Past and Present.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
smiller
Major Leagues

I skipped the previous two patches, but have just downloaded the new one. Although I'm looking forward to seeing how the 3D is improved, what I'm really happy with is the improved skin which is similar to the one I really liked in 19.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
smiller
Major Leagues

Okay, just played my first game with the new patch and here are some impressions (these could change over time) about the 3D:
1. Pitcher's toss to first base on a ground ball seems much softer, not the hard throw I usually see.
2. Double plays seem smoother, not as jerky.
3. Outfielders are throwing balls more on a line, not so high as before; there also seems less diving after flies.
4. The intentional walk looks much more realistic.

One thing, not concerning 3D, but that has always bothered me is the number of times runs are scored after a pitcher gets the first two batters out in an inning. This hasn't changed, and is becoming too often predictable.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
One thing, not concerning 3D, but that has always bothered me is the number of times runs are scored after a pitcher gets the first two batters out in an inning. This hasn't changed, and is becoming too often predictable.
Small sample size. In OOTP this matches real life 100%
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Small sample size. In OOTP this matches real life 100%
I suspect a bit of confirmation bias also.
For me anyway, it is certainly true that I notice it more when the opponent scores 2-out runs. It always seems like they do this to us but we seldom do it to them. But of course, when I stop to think about it I realize this isn't true (or if it is that is more due to my team just not being generally as good offensively).

And all of those cases where nothing happens with 2 outs (third out made, inning over- single or walk, next guy taken care of, inning over- etc.) just pass by without a lot of thought. But the opposition rallies with 2 outs, well, you can bet I'm going to take notice of that and curse my bad luck/crappy team/whatever.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:09 AM   #7
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

I’ve had some almost spooky replay seasons in OOTP, where the simulated league results were exceedingly close to the historical ones. Which is a backhanded way of saying yes, OOTP does match the MLB in two-out runs and such, because it would pretty much have to.
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:11 AM   #8
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

Confirmation bias: the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

I’m not so sure that would apply here.
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #9
zappa1
All Star Starter

After many games now, I've seen some very good improvements in the 3D animations. The DP is looking much better, too. I saw a third baseman dive toward the line behind the third base bag a la Brooks Robinson, pop up and fire the guy out at first. Nice. Some throws are strong. Some not so strong. That's good as all throws made are not the same. And lastly, I have no more random freeze ups. I think it's due to my new SSD as my old HDD was wearing out. Thanks, guys for all your hard work. Now off to play the Mets.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-4-3 View Post
Confirmation bias: the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

I’m not so sure that would apply here.
Well, I thought about this a bit before I typed that, as I wasn't sure it was the appropriate term either.
But then I thought- once one starts to get the feeling that this might be happening then you also begin to over-emphasize any evidence that supports this while not really noticing as much those events that don't.

So, I can totally see where you might think this term doesn't apply, but I stand by it.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote