Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #81
Shoeless' Socks
Minors (Double A)

I am the Marlins in an OOTP online league and we're 142 games in and I am 61-81.

Similarly to others, my pitching staff is decent/good but my hitters are comically bad.

I'm actually pretty proud that I've been able to go 61-81 against humans. I've tried to make trades in this league but I have no one that a human would actually want. I had a couple nibbles on Steckenrider but since he has a low salary, they were low ball offers. They knew I wasn't beholden to trading him.

Having said ALL of that, I feel like I crushed the 2019 draft even in this human online league. I got Glenallen Hill Jr. who is off to a great start as well as C Shea Langeliers who has been lights out his rookie season in the minors. Jose Devers is also going to be a good MLB player eventually. The biggest disappointment is Victor Victor Mesa who is absolutely terrible and like others, Lewis Brinson is comically bad.

If you think its hard solo, you should try it in an online league, LOL.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #82
jerheme
Minors (Single A)

I decided to try this out. It is an uphill climb.

Trade difficulty HARD. GM only mode. No editing players.

I took over the Marlins on May 16th 2019 (life start).

Here is what I did in year 1...
  • Claimed LHP Tyler Olson off waivers
  • Acquired RP Travis Lakins and CL Durbin Feltman from Red Sox for CL Nick Anderson
  • Drafted 3B Andrew Vaughn
  • Traded SS Castro and 2 minor leaguers to Giants for LF Austin Slater
  • Traded 3B/OF Brian Anderson and 1 minor leaguer to Blue Jays for C Danny Jansen and 3 mls (including Zach Jackson)
  • Traded 2B Neil Walker and minor leaguer to Astros for SP Francis Martes and (AAA) LF Seth Beer,
  • Claimed IF Greg Garcia off waivers
  • Traded Lakins, Jackson and 2 minor leaguers to Cardinals for OF Jose Martinez, OF Tyler O'Neill, SP Daniel Poncedeleon, and 2 minor leaguers (Schrock and Baker)

Finished 46-116 with unhappy team chemistry and team complaints against Peter O'Brien

In the off-season I addressed the goals the owner had for me to acquire a former MVP and increase attendance.
  • OF Curtis Granderson retired
  • Claimed RP Jonathan Holder off waivers
  • Traded OF O'Neill and 2 minor leaguers to Cardinals for SP Alex Reyes and 3 minor leaguers
  • Traded SP Wei-Yin Chen to Tigers for 1B Miguel Cabrera (10% salary paid by DET- former MVP, popular player in Miami)
  • Traded Miguel Rojas, C Jorge Alfaro, SS JT Riddle, and OF Auston Dean to Yankees for OF Giancarlo Stanton (25% salary paid by NY, former MVP, popular player in Miami)
  • Signed LF Marcell Ozuna to 3 year deal (popular player in Miami)
  • Traded RP Tyler Kinney and SP Trevor Richards to Phillies for 3B Maikel Franco (in walk year)
  • Signed SS Adeiny Hechavarria
  • Signed OF J.D. Martinez to 1 year 20M pillow contract (he reopened discussions.)
  • Traded JD Martinez to Astros for CF George Springer (in walk year)
  • Released 3B Prado

With these moves I sold out Marlins Park all year. Fans love Stanton, Cabrera, and Ozuna even though they are not great players. They love Springer because he is a great player.

During the season...
  • APRIL- Signed IF Jedd Gyroko
  • JUNE- Traded Gyorko and Ozuna to Dbacks for 1B Pavin Smith
  • JULY- Signed Springer to 5 year extension
  • Traded Franco, SP Pablo Lopez, and OF Lew Brinson to Mets for 2B Jeff McNeil and 2 minor leaguers.

Finished 86-76
Claimed the second Wild Card and won the game over Dodgers (pitched Caleb Smith)

Miraculously reached the NLCS with this team and fell short in 2020.

Last edited by jerheme; 05-28-2019 at 12:24 AM.
jerheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #83
Ghost Town
Minors (Single A)

Just finished the 2024 season.
96-66 regular season; 1st place in East. Knocked out in the NLCS by the Dodgers.

That's 3 straight seasons I've been knocked out of the playoffs by the Dodgers (NLCS in 2022; Div. Series in 2023; NLCS in 2024.)

2019: 73-89, no playoffs
2020: 88-74, Wildcard, lose wildcard game to Mets
2021: 83-79, no playoffs
2022: 91-71, Wildcard, lose NLCS to Dodgers
2023: 100-62, Wildcard, lose NLDS to Dodgers
2024: 96-66, East Pennant, lose NLCS Dodgers

The journey continues.... and day 1 of the offseason MLB announced 2 more new expansion teams, so I've got a rough offseason ahead....

(Just got a new $1.3M contract and my reputation is up to LEGENDARY, though.)

Last edited by Ghost Town; 05-31-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Ghost Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #84
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

I've decided to take up this challenge three times: Lots of failures, lots of lessons. Here are some tips, to avoid rage quitting or getting fired.

• Wei-Yin Chen (sp?) is dead weight. You're going to wind up paying his horrid contract anyway. If you trade him, you'll likely eat 90%+ in a deal that only nets you some minor league filler. Get rid of him, any way you see fit.
  • Fire all of your minor league pitching coaches, and hire coaches that work best with Power Pitchers. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it helps in development, particularly with Sixto Sanchez (Marlins top prospect). I also happened to sign some minor league pitching prospects, who developed amazingly.
  • I do not know how development works with Batting Coaches, yet.
  • Josh Naylor will likely be available in your first Rule 5 draft. I've found him to be hit or miss. He worked out in the first 2 sims (a bright spot of power, in a weak lineup). Oddly enough, the one where he didn't pan out was my most successful sim.
  • If you play GM only, John Farrell is the best available manager; Mike Maddux is the best Pitching Coach, and from what I can tell, Tim Raines, Jr. has made my team respectable for once.
  • Hope league evolution kicks in: Sim 1 - Mound lowered for more offense, Sim 2 - No league evolution, and I got fired, and Sim 3 - Marlins move to Jacksonville, complete with new stadium, and active roster increased to 26.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #85
Andrisk123
Bat Boy

Took me five years to get to the playoffs.
2019: 64-98
2020: 65-97
2021: 77-85
2022: 72-90
2023: 87-75, won division one game ahead of the Braves

I don´t think I´ve ever had a team hit this bad, yet still make the playoffs. Look at this:

Runs Scored: 554 (15th in NL)
Batting AVG: .221 (14th)
OBP: .297 (14th)
Home Runs: 129 (15th)
Batting WAR: 8.3 (15th)

I am first or second in most pitching categories though, with a Starters ERA of 3.01 and a FIP of 3.27, only allowing 511 runs.
Andrisk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #86
Andrisk123
Bat Boy

Won the NLDS 3-1 vs the Cards. My bullpen cost me the sweep in Game 3, allowing three runs in the last two innings and four in the 10th. My starters did their job well though:

G1: Sixto Sanchez 6.1 IP, 4H 1R 1ER 1BB 9K
G2: Min-Jin Yoo, 5.2 IP, 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 7K
G3: Roansy Contreras, 6.1IP, 7H 1R 1ER 0BB 8K
G4: Pablo Lopez, 5IP, 4H 3R 3ER 0BB 5K

Two walks and 29 strikeouts in 23.1 innings is sweet. Min-Jin Yoo was a game-generated free agent, Sixto Sanchez has matured into a real ace, Roansy Contreras a prospect acquired through a trade in 2019 that has had two good seasons in a row, and Pablo Lopez is like the only bright star in the original Marlines lineup. Have these four tied up on long-term contracts and Lopez is the oldest of them (aged 27) so the rotation will be great for years to come if they stay healthy.
Andrisk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #87
Ghost Town
Minors (Single A)

Season 2025:

Coming off an East division pennant and an NLCS loss to LAD, my owner gave me the "Win Championship!" directive.

Sadly, my squad crumbled under the pressure. With the pitching staff suffering injury after injury, and absolutely DREADFUL underachievements by the batters (multiple players hitting under .200), the supposed-WS contenders reached the June draft 10 games under .500.

With signs of things getting worse, not better, I pulled the trigger and fired my manager and hitting coach.

Despite an extremely hot month of July, the Marlins couldn't claw out of the 2-month hole they dug, finishing 84-78, missing the playoffs, and finishing dead last in the NL in every major batting category.

The team owner was none too pleased at missing the playoffs when demanding a championship and at the significant drop in attendance.

The team budget was cut by more than $10M in the offseason.

To make the situation worse, 2 fan-favorite star players had to be let go in the offseason as we couldn't afford them.

I spent an immense amount of time this offseason on finding ways to remold the squad and rekindle a little bit of the massive drop in fan interest.

I'm very worried, as another missed playoffs in 2026 could result in my firing. I'm very happy with the work I've done, however, and it looks like some prospects I've been grooming in the minors should be ready to fill some huge holes. They will have to. I need a good start to get attendance and revenue back up.We'll see. Starting spring training right now.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #88
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Season 2025:

Coming off an East division pennant and an NLCS loss to LAD, my owner gave me the "Win Championship!" directive.

Sadly, my squad crumbled under the pressure. With the pitching staff suffering injury after injury, and absolutely DREADFUL underachievements by the batters (multiple players hitting under .200), the supposed-WS contenders reached the June draft 10 games under .500.

With signs of things getting worse, not better, I pulled the trigger and fired my manager and hitting coach.

Despite an extremely hot month of July, the Marlins couldn't claw out of the 2-month hole they dug, finishing 84-78, missing the playoffs, and finishing dead last in the NL in every major batting category.

The team owner was none too pleased at missing the playoffs when demanding a championship and at the significant drop in attendance.

The team budget was cut by more than $10M in the offseason.

To make the situation worse, 2 fan-favorite star players had to be let go in the offseason as we couldn't afford them.

I spent an immense amount of time this offseason on finding ways to remold the squad and rekindle a little bit of the massive drop in fan interest.

I'm very worried, as another missed playoffs in 2026 could result in my firing. I'm very happy with the work I've done, however, and it looks like some prospects I've been grooming in the minors should be ready to fill some huge holes. They will have to. I need a good start to get attendance and revenue back up.We'll see. Starting spring training right now.
This is what's brutal about a Marlins save. You have such little room for error. I haven't picked up my save in a while, but I'm in a holding pattern in the 2030 season. Don't think we're good enough to win, but not in rebuild mode.

starfox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:27 AM   #89
Ghost Town
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox64 View Post
This is what's brutal about a Marlins save. You have such little room for error. I haven't picked up my save in a while, but I'm in a holding pattern in the 2030 season. Don't think we're good enough to win, but not in rebuild mode.
Got off to an extremely pleasing 35-21 start in my 2026 season -- and my #1 pitcher, he of the 2 Cy Youngs and 1 MVP (and one missed playoffs in his best season) just tore his rotator cuff and is out for the season. Was leading the league with a 1.32 ERA. So much for "durable." And so much for him, since this is his last contract season at 33. It seems the game is conspiring against me.

Last edited by Ghost Town; 06-09-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:58 AM   #90
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
I haven't tried the Marlins... But the Orioles are fun. Coming up on Sept in season 2 and having a. 500 season... Not bad for a 120 loss team the year before. Rutchman has already forced his way onto the roster ahead of my plans... He never hit below. 360 at any minor league stop and had a Rbi a game in the minors. Not even 15 months as a pro and 3 stars current. I was surprised he developed so fast. I began by trading or releasing everyone over 25. Used veteran indy leaguers to fill in holes for season 1. Akin and Mountcastle have been playing well. Already have a solid workable pen for the next few years...
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 AM   #91
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
HA...if you come up with any ideas, email them to Derek Jeter....LOL
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 AM   #92
Ghost Town
Minors (Single A)

Welp, ended up 104-58 in 2026.

Best record in the major leagues, despite my best player tearing his rotator cuff and being out for the season 56 games in.

Then we got swept by the wild-card winning Brewers in the first round. 3 straight extra inning losses.

Our slugging first baseman, of course, missed the playoffs with a concussion suffered in the 2nd to last game of the season.

Very aggravated.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #93
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Welp, ended up 104-58 in 2026.

Best record in the major leagues, despite my best player tearing his rotator cuff and being out for the season 56 games in.

Then we got swept by the wild-card winning Brewers in the first round. 3 straight extra inning losses.

Our slugging first baseman, of course, missed the playoffs with a concussion suffered in the 2nd to last game of the season.

Very aggravated.
I believe in you ghost! Still neither of us have even gotten to the WS, much less won it haha

Old 06-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #94
witherscraig
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I absolutely love this thread. I've played as the Marlins in past versions but not yet in 20. Think I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks guys!
witherscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #95
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Wanted to give a few overarching updates. The first screenshot is my record since taking over as GM. Not as good as I'd like it to be, but we are pretty much a perennial playoff contender, so there's that.

Secondly, Luke Leto is on pace to probably go down as one of, if not the greatest, Marlins ever. Take a look at his career stats! He's on a team friendly 16.5 million until 2035 (with two team options at the backend if things go south).

Finally, I recently retired the number of Jorge Rocha, the team's all-time saves leader and a seven-time All-Star. He was realllly good in his prime!

Share your screenshots if you have them! Gearing up for my 2030 push as we speak...
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by starfox64; 06-10-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #96
Ghost Town
Minors (Single A)

Awesome stuff, guys and Starfox. I'm actually feeling insanely good going into 2027 with the Marlins. Even though I lost my best player, I think I have my best team yet. This could change when the season starts, but I am feeling great.

And I just set my Spring Training roster for 2027 -- and it's scary good. This is the best depth I've ever had. I've got no idea how I'm going to cut down my 60 man roster.

Last edited by Ghost Town; 06-11-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #97
witherscraig
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I gave this a try over the last week or so.

I went with a drastic, total rebuild. Got rid of anyone making any more than the minimum (had to eat Chen’s contract). I stockpiled prospects but intentionally avoided bringing them up until I had a whole slew of them ready for the majors.

This approach led to a dumpster fire season in 2020 with a 45-117 record. Barely beat out the 2003 Tigers because of a strong final week. After that year I called up about 15 prospects (some very good, some marginal) and we immediately improved to 71 wins. I expected the improvement to go quickly after that, but it kind of stalled. Win totals the next two years were 76 and 77. Then, finally, I won the division in 2024 and 2025. Lost in the LCS both times I think.

In 2026 the team was good but had horrible luck and a ton of injuries. We dropped to 75 wins. I got sick of the owner giving me one year extensions despite my successful rebuild so I bailed for the Rockies. Wouldn’t you know it, in my first year in Colorado I lost the NLCS to.......the Marlins. Who then went on to win the WS lol. That was painful, but at least I knew that the team I had built up was capable of winning it all.

My most successful draft picks were both in 2020: Andrew Vaughn (1st) and Garrett Frechette (supp 1st).

All in all, it’s a very challenging team to take over. But if you like to rebuild, it’s a lot of fun.

Name:  Marlins.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  133.6 KB

Last edited by witherscraig; 06-15-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #98
witherscraig
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Also, scoring runs with Miami is REALLY hard!

Last edited by witherscraig; 06-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #99
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witherscraig View Post
Also, scoring runs with Miami is REALLY hard!
I 100% agree with this^

It seems as though whatever type of offense I put together (with good to great rated players at each position) doesn’t ever seem to result in a top-5 offense (usually lands in the 10-15 range with a top-5 pitching staff). Does it possibly have to do with the park dimensions in the NL east?

Just curious - for those who have had successful offenses rebuilding the Marlins, what has been the strategy/theme for your offense?
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #100
jerheme
Minors (Single A)

With trades to set to hard I still was able (by 2022) to get an offense featuring Corey Seager, Cody Bellinger, Alex Bregman, and Kyle Tucker and still have a hard time scoring runs in Miami. It must be the stadium, weather, division, something!
jerheme is offline   Reply With Quote