Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #41
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

I've found hard works decently well, although some moderately unrealistic trades still get through.
starfox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #42
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

sign a bunch of FA and trade them, immediately or as early as you can...

speed up the process a bit each year and avoid actually paying the FA you sign, LoL.

they can't wreck that strategy no matter what they do without breaking the game.

based on other threads, they've made trading for high-end prospects more difficult than past years, so i'd test out 'normal' and adjust based on results that you want to see.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #43
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox64 View Post
Any updates from fellow GMs? I’ve made the first playoffs with the team in 2023, but haven’t gotten the chance to play in a while.
Have had 3 seasons of 100+ victories but have not yet advanced to the World Series, twice being eliminated in the NLDS once in the NLCS. My bullpen, best in every category in all three years, decided to melt down in the final two innings of winner take all games (Two Game 5's and one Game 7) each time. Once we had a 4 run lead in the bottom of the ninth of game 7 in the NLCS and my relievers blow the game. Those relievers were then banished from the team for the next season, only to have it happen again the next year with different relievers! I was so pissed.

This season, the team is weaker but still good, will have over 90 wins and should have the division again but there has been a lot of turnover with some big players moving on to free agency and the replacements haven't always been as good or better unfortunately. Feel like my window may be closing a bit and I'll look back on those bullpen miscues with even more regret if we don't get a championship soon.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #44
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

can't control small sample outcomes... be happy you made a strong team. the rest is just luck. should be more forgiving of your RL hometown team too, becuase of this experience

the best team doesn't always win. in fact, the way the real mlb is set up, i bet the best team wins it all way less than 50% of the time. yet, that's what people weigh more heavily than rational logical though
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:40 AM   #45
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I mainly play historical but was thinking of starting a modern day sim. Undecided on a team until I stumbled on this thread so decided to give the Marlins a go.

I am acting as GM only and decided to watch the opening day game. Don Mattingly and the boys built an 8-1 lead in the fifth inning over Colorado thanks to 4 homers and I thought "this is easy. We will breeze through the season."

Our bullpen sucks, especially since I traded Kickham and Steckenrider in a pair of deals, and we blew the game losing 9-8. It's going to be a long year.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-13-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #46
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
can't control small sample outcomes... be happy you made a strong team. the rest is just luck. should be more forgiving of your RL hometown team too, becuase of this experience

the best team doesn't always win. in fact, the way the real mlb is set up, i bet the best team wins it all way less than 50% of the time. yet, that's what people weigh more heavily than rational logical though
i get it, it's part of the game. i kind of like that im not winning the world series each year. it will make the thrill of finally getting it more exciting, when i won the world series with the pirates in ootp 19 i felt so good. just to have the series won only to have the same exact thing happen three years in a row is crazy
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #47
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Still finding this save so, so tough. Have to make moves almost every offseason to stay within budget as players make more through arbitration. Very tough to sustain any success I see, which is part of the challenge I love!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #48
Steeeey92
Bat Boy

I'm doing a play by play of the Marlins at the moment.

Not off to a bad start (16-24), Starters ERA ranked 3rd, Urena has been unbelievable at 5-2 1.63 ERA.

Lineup has been decent but it feels like everything is starting to come back down to earth now 2nd month in. Traded for 2 pitchers who I believe can compete in the rotation with Sanchez in 2 years or so. Gotta smash that draft otherwise this will be a long way back..

Might start simming soon but so far I'm enjoying myself and I can properly micromanage the whole game.
Steeeey92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #49
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Update from thread creator. 2026, about to hit the draft. We’ve made playoffs in 2 of the last 3 seasons, but still haven’t made it past the division series. Budget slowly improving, 28th in the league with two expansion teams (Montreal, Las Vegas). The roster is vastly improved from 2019, but always running into trouble retaining our top talent. Still chasing the dream of WS glory!
Old 05-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #50
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Hell yes! After getting swept in the 2028 NLDS by the Giants, I was pissed. But we had a good chunk of money to spend so I swung for the fences and snagged 35-year-old Francisco Lindor, who is still 80/80 (!!!) and I'm hoping for a huge turnaround in Miami. Keep making the playoffs but yet to make some noise!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #51
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

So we've clinched a winning season...in July! This might be the best pitching team of all time, not to mention our lights out fielding. Marlins fans, have hope!
Attached Images
Old 05-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #52
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

Question for you OP...in your team stats panel of your home screen (bottom row 2nd from left) you have a bunch more stats to look at than mine lists. How does one change the stats there?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #53
Bub13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxSnts9 View Post
Question for you OP...in your team stats panel of your home screen (bottom row 2nd from left) you have a bunch more stats to look at than mine lists. How does one change the stats there?
I think that's new to OOTP 20....er I mean OOTP XX.
Bub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #54
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxSnts9 View Post
Yep, OOTP XX has a bunch of new ones!
Old 05-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #55
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

I play OOTP XX and my team stats panel doesn't show WOBA, Batting WAR, etc. Though my panels for individual team leaders above it show a lot more categories lol. There must be a setting somewhere we don't know about.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #56
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
So we've clinched a winning season...in July! This might be the best pitching team of all time, not to mention our lights out fielding. Marlins fans, have hope!
How much has expansion played into this? looking at Montreal.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #57
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
How much has expansion played into this? looking at Montreal.
Don't think expansion factors that much in, this is the seventh year of Montreal's existence, and just seems to be the worst the team has ever been now, coincidentally.
Attached Images
Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #58
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Just finished the 2029 regular season two wins short of tying the record for the most wins of all time, going 114-48. It came at the cost of an injury setback for Lindor, who won't be back for 4-5 weeks and will likely miss the entirety of the playoffs...
Old 05-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #59
starfox64
Minors (Single A)

Went up 2-0 in the NLDS and then choked away our lead to the Cubs. Wow.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:27 PM   #60
mandersen
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Don't think expansion factors that much in, this is the seventh year of Montreal's existence, and just seems to be the worst the team has ever been now, coincidentally.
Did the game expand automatically or did you manually do it?
mandersen is offline   Reply With Quote