Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Weaseltail
Minors (Double A)

Need Advice - Silver SS

I have an all-silver team and am trying to pick a SS. Team is focused on defense, gap power, and contact.

Seems like there are lots of good options -- Pesky, Ozzie, Simmons, Vizquel, Crosby, Tulo, etc. Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

More broadly, anyone have any great, under-the-radar silver suggestions or roster construction thoughts.

Right now I've got: SP: Barker, Sad Sam, Martinez, Raschi, and Swan, RP: Bummer, Morrow, and several Future Legend guys, IF: Carter/Scioscia (C platoon), Murphy (1B), Urias (2B), Robinson (3B), Oquendo (UIF); OF: Devon White, Waner/Victorino (RF platoon), Anderson/Stephenson (LF platoon), Ashburn (UOF), DH: Webb/Andujar (platoon)

Thanks.

Last edited by Weaseltail; 12-08-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Weaseltail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I loved having Scioscia as one of my starter pack draws in the beta. Great defense and respectable offense as a lefty allows for a lot of options, like your platoon situation.

I have Tulo (the 75 OVR rookie card - is there another of him?). His offense is lackluster (.225/.287/.353), but his defense is beyond elite (+20.5 ZR).

I also have shortstops playing 1B, 2B, and 3B. My 2017 All Star Cory Seager (89 OVR, a lucky gold draw in my start pack, for certain) is up to a 95 positional rating at 1B (and still potentially rising) despite not having enough defense for other positions for how I want to build my team.

My 2B is Travis Jackson (63 OVR). His defense is solid - maybe even elite once he's trained up - though I know the 26 Infield Error rating will always hold him back in the minds of many. Despite having a similar offensive profile to Tulo, he is leading my team in HR and RBI, with a current SLG of .506.

Similarly, I have Joe Cronin (80 OVR) learning 3B for me. Unlike the other 3 infielders, he was a midseason acquisition, but thus far he has been surprisingly efficient defensively with minimal training and a 42 error rating. If his production isn't an aberration, elite defense and plenty of walks and doubles should keep him in my lineup for some time to come.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Tons of good silver SS. You could probably run a team full of them and they'd compete.

I've got the Tulo rookie card and it's a solid 75. Defense is amazing, I've been training him to be a super-utility sub and can't wait until he gets to be a 90+ at all the infield positions.

In the past, I had the 79 Reyes All-star card, which won me so many points that year as he had an almost 10 WAR season and won MVP in one of the beta leagues.

Turner/Correa/Simmons are all solid options from the live set, as high-70s players with varying skills.

I really did like that Reyes card, if you can live with the lower defense from it. Although, I did have him in another season during the beta run, and got so frustrated when his bat went cold, and ended up playing Simmons more than him. From what you want, Vizquel or Ozzie look like your best bets.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

There are actually a lot of quality options in the silver range at SS. Some are more rare than others, but most will cost less at auction than that Ozzie Smith card everyone seems to love so much. They all come with solid defense at a minimum, so I would focus on finding the specific offensive profile you desire.

Last edited by Dogberry99; 12-08-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Morug
Major Leagues

Andrelton Simmons is great SS, I had it in my starter pack and I dont think I will replace him soon.
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Smith’s 1987 card if you can afford him. Tulo or Simmons would be my next choice.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Clavette
Major Leagues

I used oquendo most of the season at ss until I was able to afford pesky. Oquendo ended up being moved back to 2b and merrifield to the outfield
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Morug
Major Leagues

Trea Turner at backup SS is great too, He can play everywhere in the field.
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
el_gringo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Tons of good silver SS. You could probably run a team full of them and they'd compete.
Can confirm, running any combo of Simmons/Ozzie/Vizquel/Tony Fernandez '87/Jimmy Rollins '05/etc. as your 4 IF + super-utility is great, especially paired with GB pitchers. Not much power of course, but otherwise great.

Ozzie Albies doesn't have quite the same elite stats overall, but runs well, hits decently from both sides of the plate, and is (relatively) rare amongst 'super-utility players with decent bats' because he can learn to play all OF positions competently in addition to the IF ones.

At the end of the day, the only card that makes me consider moving Ozzie off SS is Lindor's '16 All-Star card (trade a smidge of 'error' for a smidge of the other three; upgrade the power at the cost of the rest), but those two are going to be my 2B/SS combo one way or another for the foreseeable future.

I think Simmons is best at 3B with his arm, but you've got to be okay with his average/plus offense instead of a huge bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
In the past, I had the 79 Reyes All-star card, which won me so many points that year as he had an almost 10 WAR season and won MVP in one of the beta leagues.
I really did like that Reyes card, if you can live with the lower defense from it.
I was in that division... ಠ_ಠ

Many an evening did I spend cursing Reyes, Grissom, and a few others...
el_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Tony Fernandez 1987, Willy Adames Future Legend, and Johnny Logan 1955 may all interest you.
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #11
5rings
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I pulled Alvin Dark in my starter pack. 78 SS, in the Bronze league he (off the top of my head) hit .300, 15 HR, 58 doubles, 100rbi, 4.2 WAR, and decent defense. He started out hitting 3 for me, but as I built my team he was an awesome 7 spot player.
5rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #12
Weaseltail
Minors (Double A)

Decided to go with Simmons at SS and picked up Reyes to play 2B (assuming I can train his def high enough).

I never paid much attention to silvers until I started this all-silver team. There are some phenomenal silver players - as good as most golds and diamonds. Munson, Barker, Sad Sam, Rose, Pena, Boone, Ozzie, Dan T. Murphy, Mattingly, Brooks Robinson, Garret Anderson, etc. Really having a blast with this team.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Last edited by Weaseltail; 12-09-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Weaseltail is offline   Reply With Quote