Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB Mods

Old 12-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #1721
Cap
Hall Of Famer

I'm using TB 2.5 on a four-year old laptop with Windows 7. I sure hope the new game will work on this machine too. I hear bad things about Windows 10. Looks like it was meant for a smartphone or tablet not a PC.

Cap
Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #1722
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
I'm using TB 2.5 on a four-year old laptop with Windows 7. I sure hope the new game will work on this machine too. I hear bad things about Windows 10. Looks like it was meant for a smartphone or tablet not a PC.

Cap
I was worried too & 10 worked just fine when I made the switch - back in the summer of 2016 I think. Wasn't until spring of this year that it froze up & never let me actually sim fights any more.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #1723
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamed2 View Post
I was worried too & 10 worked just fine when I made the switch - back in the summer of 2016 I think. Wasn't until spring of this year that it froze up & never let me actually sim fights any more.
Which is why I don't want to switch. Once I got the game going again I didn't want to jinx it.

Cap
Old 12-21-2017, 10:54 PM   #1724
bear
Global Moderator

Hadn't any problems with Windows 10 and 2.5 till today. Game started freezing up on me. I've got 2.5 on a much older laptop and will see if that works out.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #1725
Cap
Hall Of Famer

That's what I mean. Both versions seem to work for a while, even with Win 10, then without warning, they crap out. I've been running 2.5 on an older laptop with Win 7 for almost a year, but expect it to bomb one of these days.

If there is a new version, it will have to function with Win 10 and earlier OS on different machines. This has always been the problem with PC games. I'm hoping the new version is stable with Windows despite apparently being developed with Linux.

Cap
Old 12-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #1726
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
That's what I mean. Both versions seem to work for a while, even with Win 10, then without warning, they crap out. I've been running 2.5 on an older laptop with Win 7 for almost a year, but expect it to bomb one of these days.

If there is a new version, it will have to function with Win 10 and earlier OS on different machines. This has always been the problem with PC games. I'm hoping the new version is stable with Windows despite apparently being developed with Linux.

Cap
I know that there is a way to run a Windows operating system in the mode of an earlier operating system. I don't remember what this process is called and have never used it but if some one can enlighten me on this I'd like to see if it makes 2.5 run OK

Old 12-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #1727
bear
Global Moderator

It is called the compatibility mode. Has any used it?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:56 PM   #1728
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I know that there is a way to run a Windows operating system in the mode of an earlier operating system. I don't remember what this process is called and have never used it but if some one can enlighten me on this I'd like to see if it makes 2.5 run OK
Win7 I believe has this option to run windows in a mode as an earlier version, XP, I think. Don't believe there is that option with Windows 10 as I've looked into that.

I've given up trying to do anything with 2.5 on my Win10 computer. Got it running good for now on this old laptop running XP. A little bit slow processing some things, but fortunately seems to simulate schedules fairly quick for the purpose of play testing fighters. Hopefully this computer holds up for a while. I know one thing, I'll keep my DB backed up pretty regular.

Been working on some fighters to continue my Ring project I had going.
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:53 AM   #1729
professordp
Hall Of Famer

You're correct, Rocco. Win 7 Professional does have an option for XP.
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #1730
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

Happy New Years 2018 Everyone!!
Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year. I and my wife had a GREAT New Year. I'd gotten started back to our forum here after finally have to getting TB2.5 set up and working on an old XP run laptop. But then the holidays came the UGA Bulldogs decide to win the SEC Championship! Well my oldest son Antonio is a senior Drum Major in the UGA's Redcoat Marching Band and after finding out that Georgia was going to the Rose Bowl my wife and I decided we were going to really break the bank and started making plans to go to probably a once in a lifetime event! So we did. Man what a GREAT time! Well, had to come home which we did late Wednesday night. So with a little bit more time off yet from work.

Getting things started again with my crawl through my old Ring Magazines to get some new MW/HW/LWH guys introduced into TB2.5! Abbreviating this a bit from what I was posting, going to just do a review of the fighters and any info I can share from Ring. Going to dispense with the TB Replay part. Reminder I started with the January 1958 Ring so coverage actually started out with fights in Sept/Oct of 1957.........

JANUARY 1958 RING:
Monday 23, September 1957
Sydney Stadium, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Sandy Assogna 179 11 10 1 W PTS 12/12 Ernie Hughes 170½ 8 4 1
Karl Machain 179 8 9 1 W PTS 6/6 Irwin Stromminger 187 debut

A short piece in the Ring mentioned LHW Sandy Assogna as being too smart for Ernie "Bull" Hughes. Writer Ray Mitchell felt Sandy was "much improved fighter." The Assogna file includes an original rating I had done by Bear. I added a new one I messed with including some new Bio info.
The Machain / Stromminger fight I did not find any account in the Ring. As I noted in the Bio for the included Machain file, at this time while fighting in Australia, he went by the fight name Carl Machain.

Last edited by Rocco Del Sesto; 01-05-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:38 PM   #1731
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING:
Monday 30, September 1957
Sydney Stadium, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Ernie Hughes 172 8 5 1 W DQ 8/12 Karl Machain 180 9 9 1
Bill Woolsey 170½ 2 0 0 W PTS 4/4 Heli Ecker 175 0 6 0

A week after Bull Hughes lost to Assogna, Hughes took on Carl Marchin as Karl was calling himself down under. Karl/Carl controlled the fight up into the 8th round on points in a "scrambling fight". But then, Machain, known for his less than clean fighting style which got him banned from his home Austria, was disqualified for butting by referee Ronnie James.

The Bill Woosley vs Heli Ecker I found no reference to in the Ring issue. Files for them included for what they are worth with this post.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Ecker_Heli_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Woolsey_Bill_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #1732
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING:
Saturday 28, September 1957
West Melbourne Stadium, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Camillo Bosso 161½ 2 0 0 W PTS 6/6 Tony Raubino 162 1 0 0
Drago Barisic 193 debut D PTS 4/4 Ray Borge 188½ 1 1 0

Neither of these fights were noted in this Ring issue, but I just scanned through the BoxRec schedules of fights for that same week period and saw these two LHW and HW fights in Melbourne and I had Drago Barisic rated while working on one of the fighters posted yesterday. I actually had an old file of Barisic from way back in 2006 I think it was. Had his name as Barific? Misspell at the time on my part or BoxREc's not sure. So i redid and updated the file. Did the other three. Didn't put a lot of time in testing with them as they're your run of the mill TC's will very little record.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Barisic_Drago_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Bosso_Camillo_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Borge_Ray_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Raubino_Tony_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #1733
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING:
Friday 11, October 1957
Olympia Stadium, Detroit, Michigan, USA

Ossie Groom 5 0 0 W KO 1/6 John Vinegar 3 8 1

Today started checking in with Jack Waina and some "Michigan Fistic Facts" moving our heavy divisions coverage on up to the US. Main action covered was from the lighter divisions but we do get a look at a little of the heavies with some new introductions. The first here being heavyweights Ossie Groom W8(KO6)/L4(KO2)/D1 career vs John Vinegar W3(KO0)/L9(KO5)/D1. Groom's career started out fast enough with 6 straight wins, 5 by KO including this 1st inning downing of Vinegar. After that his career went quickly south. Vinegar's career never amounted to anything winning 3 of first 5 but then loosing the last 7 with the draw mixed in.The KO against Groom is his last listed fight in BoxRec.
Mr. Waina's article writes Groom's first name as Osee. Waina mentions that Groom probably never had an easier fight with this one against Vinegar, accounting the 1st round KO as Groom's 6th straight win starting out as a pro.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Vinegar_John_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Groom_Ossie_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #1734
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING
Tuesday 22, October 1957
Auditorium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Orville Pitts 176 2 0 0 W KO 1/8 Chuck Church 186 8 7 0
Pedro Bradley 169 10 3 0 W SD 4/4 Eddie O'Hara 172¼ 8 8 1

Continuing on with Jack Waina's Michigan Fistic Facts, he takes up to some heavy action up in Milwaukee. The first match up had Saginaw's Chuck Church against a soon to be rising talent in the LHW ranks, Orville Pitts. Church was totally over matched by Pitts with Orville "butchering" Chuck and stopping him in the first round. Waina commented on Orville, who was a great amateur fighter of the time, considered him a great prospect. Read up some bio info I've included with this file. Found a great obituary on line which I put in the web link. Hope it works. Great reading. Pitts looked to have a very promising career going when he just decided to quit and go to school. For Chuck Church by the way it was his last career fight.

Pedro Bradley and Eddie O'Hara squared up in a middleweight bout as Waina classified the fight. BoxRec has Bradley listed as a LHW, but his record shows him to be a MW as the 1958 and 1959 Ring rate him as a MW. O'Hara is rated in the 1959 Ring as a Class D LHW so, I've rated him as such and why I've included this fight coverage. Article only mentions Bradley who came from New Orleans(as listed by BoxRec) in 1957 operated out of Detroit.

There are actually a couple other fights this night in Milwaukee that Waina's article does not make mention of.One is a couple guys making their professional debut's that I'll shape up a couple quick ratings. The other has someone that is rated already in TB, Lou Bailey. We'll cover these two fights next.
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Bradley_Pedro_MW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Church_Chuck_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: tbdx3 O'Hara_Eddie_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Pitts_Orville_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #1735
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING
Tuesday 22, October 1957
Auditorium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Lou Bailey 178 0 4 0 D PTS 8/8 George Jarosch 174¼ 13 1 0
Chuck Whittley 172½ debut W TKO 2/4 Frank Bocek 169½ debut

These two fights were part of the same fight card in the previous post, but no mention of them were reported by Jack Waina in his "Michigan Fistic Facts", but they are reported on by Pinky Mitchell in his "It happened in Wisconsin" column. Pinky reports that Chuck Whittley tko'd Bocek, in 2:23 of the 2nd round.

The Lou Bailey / George Jarosch fight only mentions it ended in a draw. The attached file I've included of Bailey, I've added a LHW rating for 1957 through 1960. There were already two different TBCB3 DB Team ratings which I'm guessing are intended to be for his whole career rated as a HW. In fact though Bailey fought as a LHW in his early years moving up as high as class C LHW in Ring's 1959 thru 1961 annual ratings. Professordp included a rating as HW for the time period 1961 through 1967. Professordp if I remember his posting on this rates this as being his true prime fight period at least as a HW. Bailey then took off 3 years, then fought again 1970-74 in the HW ranks. Is the TBCB3 DB Team rating with the lower control ratings for this time period?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #1736
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING

Wanted to mention here after looking more through the magazine and finding Pinky Mitchell's "It Happened in Wisconsin" column, he wrote some on the Orville Pitts / Chuck Church fight mentioned previously.

Pinky mentions Orville Pitts was a National Collegiate Athletic Association Light Heavyweight champion coming out of the University of Wisconsin. Orville was making his 3rd professional fight up against Chuck Church.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #1737
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. Sometimes when I'm perusing Boxrec fighters I come across some yegg you never heard of who boxed six or seven times without a loss only to suddenly quit. Leaves you wondering if the guy just gave up or died outside the ring or went to prison.

Cap
Old 01-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #1738
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING
Wednesday 30, October 1957
Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois, USA

Ernie Terrell 185 4 0 0 W TKO 1/6 Ted Poole 179 8 6 0

"In and Around Chicago" by Lenny Myers covered the feature fight at Chicago Stadium on this night in 1957, a 10 round UD victory for No 1 Lightweight contender Kenny Lane over Orlando Zubueta. The nights card though included this interesting match up of a young Ernie Terrell in his 5th professional bout against Ted Poole, LHW out of Wichita, Kansas. Poole was in the middle of an undistinguished 10-14 career. His only other claim of any fame would be his last career bout, a defeat administered by Kent Green.

Myers only mentions briefly that that bout took place. Obviously at the time it involving two pretty much unknowns. I've included a file for Terrell. I only added his date of death which I realized my copy of the file from the TBCB3 DB Team did not have. I've added a few notes to his Bio also.

Out next trip through the January 1958 Ring will take us across the Atlantic to visit the "European Gossip" as reported by Charlie Parish. Two pages worth of coverage so hoping to see a little by of heavy divisions coverage included!
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Terrell_Ernie_HW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (2.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: tbdx3 Poole_Ted_LHW_Retired_Prime.tbdx3 (1.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #1739
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

January 1958

JANUARY 1958 RING
Saturday 12, October 1957
Festhalle, Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany

Hans Friedrich 28 14 6 L PTS 10/10 Heinz Neuhaus 40 7 6
Erich Schoppner 173¾ 16 0 1 W PTS 10/10 Artenio Calzavara 174 31 6 4
Rocco Mazzola 13 1 1 W PTS 8/8 Uwe Janssen 17 4 3
Manfred Schneider 8 2 2 W PTS 6/6 Albert Duscha 6 5 3
Ulli Ritter 2 0 0 L PTS 6/6 Ossi Buettner 3 3 3

These fighters I actually visited way back in March during the beginnings of this project. This card was also covered by J.A. Tree in his "German Boxing Diary" which I covered. Charlie Parish in his "European Gossip" column give a fairly good review of the Schoppner/Calzavra fight. He notes as Tree did a good 10,000+ crow was on hand to see this card matching up all LHW's and HW excepting for the Walter/Brusa MW matchup. Wanted to share some of Parish's account.

Also, I've resent new files. No rating changes from the March posting. But I added some Bio info on all of them. Shared some info on rankings these various fighters attained based on accounts that I have available. Interesting to look at them and give a little perspective on how these "fringe" fighters ranked among the more well know masses. That will be my intent as I go through this project, and I find out something I think you might find interesting or I think would be nice to include in a Bio I'll share a new file. Up to you if you do anything with it.

The Ossi Buettner file though i've renamed it to Buettner. Had it as Buttner which apparently was his birth name but all accounts I've come across on line, and in my Ring and Boxing News copies I have his accounted as by Buettner.

Parish accounts how Schoppner had been fighting against public disdain for a contested decision he won against Albert Furch back in February of this year with the "experts" giving Schoppner a "thorough lambasting" for hit. Since then though Schoppner had put up 4 more wins to run his record to 16-0-1 and jumped at the chance to take on European LHW champion Calzavara in a non-title match. The fight was close for several rounds and by the 8th it looked like Schoppner was loosing steam but he rallied in the last two rounds hooking and jabbing Calzavara back on the defense and had him badly shaken at the end. This time, Schoppner was proclaimed winner to a loud audience approval.

Hans Friedrich and Heinz Neuhaus contested for the right to challenge Hans Kalbfell for the heavyweight European championship. Friedrich was guilty of several fouls during the fight.

The other fights were just brief rundowns by Parish of what happened, noting Rocco Mazzola was making his first appearance outside of Italy.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #1740
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Del Sesto View Post
JANUARY 1958 RING
Saturday 12, October 1957
Festhalle, Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany

Hans Friedrich 28 14 6 L PTS 10/10 Heinz Neuhaus 40 7 6
Erich Schoppner 173¾ 16 0 1 W PTS 10/10 Artenio Calzavara 174 31 6 4
Rocco Mazzola 13 1 1 W PTS 8/8 Uwe Janssen 17 4 3
Manfred Schneider 8 2 2 W PTS 6/6 Albert Duscha 6 5 3
Ulli Ritter 2 0 0 L PTS 6/6 Ossi Buettner 3 3 3

These fighters I actually visited way back in March during the beginnings of this project. This card was also covered by J.A. Tree in his "German Boxing Diary" which I covered. Charlie Parish in his "European Gossip" column give a fairly good review of the Schoppner/Calzavra fight. He notes as Tree did a good 10,000+ crow was on hand to see this card matching up all LHW's and HW excepting for the Walter/Brusa MW matchup. Wanted to share some of Parish's account.

Also, I've resent new files. No rating changes from the March posting. But I added some Bio info on all of them. Shared some info on rankings these various fighters attained based on accounts that I have available. Interesting to look at them and give a little perspective on how these "fringe" fighters ranked among the more well know masses. That will be my intent as I go through this project, and I find out something I think you might find interesting or I think would be nice to include in a Bio I'll share a new file. Up to you if you do anything with it.

The Ossi Buettner file though i've renamed it to Buettner. Had it as Buttner which apparently was his birth name but all accounts I've come across on line, and in my Ring and Boxing News copies I have his accounted as by Buettner.

Parish accounts how Schoppner had been fighting against public disdain for a contested decision he won against Albert Furch back in February of this year with the "experts" giving Schoppner a "thorough lambasting" for hit. Since then though Schoppner had put up 4 more wins to run his record to 16-0-1 and jumped at the chance to take on European LHW champion Calzavara in a non-title match. The fight was close for several rounds and by the 8th it looked like Schoppner was loosing steam but he rallied in the last two rounds hooking and jabbing Calzavara back on the defense and had him badly shaken at the end. This time, Schoppner was proclaimed winner to a loud audience approval.

Hans Friedrich and Heinz Neuhaus contested for the right to challenge Hans Kalbfell for the heavyweight European championship. Friedrich was guilty of several fouls during the fight.

The other fights were just brief rundowns by Parish of what happened, noting Rocco Mazzola was making his first appearance outside of Italy.
Here's the rest of the files...............