Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #241
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Arbitration / Free Agency

The Cardinals won their only arbitration case. Min-Zhong You received a one-year contract for $900K. You asked for $1.25 million. You have got to be kidding me.

Kolten Wong was offered arbitration and declined, becoming a compensation-eligible free agent. It is clear that the Cardinals intend to move on from their long-time star. Wong is asking for a seven year contract worth $140 million.

The top free agents based on 2021 WAR value:

C J.R. Murphy, age 30, PIT (.316/.403/.513)
C Buster Posey, 34, SF (.266/.355/.456)
SS Addison Russell, 27, OAK (.258/.327/.371)
2B Kolten Wong, 31, STL (.296/.348/.439)
LF Christian Yelich, 29, MIA (.266/.324/.416)
1B Eric Hosmer, 32, KC (.267/.340/.451)

SP Matt Barnes, age 31, BOS (12-7, 3.29)
SP Chad Billingsley, 37, COL (10-11, 4.11)
SP Archie Bradley, 29, LAA (11-13, 3.94)
SP Manny Banuelos, 30, CHN (12-10, 3.75)
SP Drew Pomeranz, 33, PHI (16-10, 4.01)
SP Andrew Cashner, 35, LAN (14-5, 3.67)

There’s no Jake Odorizzi in that group of pitchers. Fortunately, I am not looking for that level of player this year. There are a lot of attractive players in the mid-range (2-3 stars) group, and I am hoping that some of them will slip into February and be amenable to a one-year contract. I have ample money available for this year, but next year could be tight if I sign Crawford.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #242
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Cardinals Off-Season Planning, part 2

The major league roster is virtually set, but we can always get better. The farm system is still in bad shape, in part because most of our best prospects have been pulled up to the majors. I won’t trade young prospects for major league talent, and I won’t commit to a long-term free agent contract that will cripple my ability to sign J.P. Crawford.

The starting rotation is set with Odorizzi, Walker, Flores, Thompson, and Rosenthal. Ray Chambers projects to be the long man replacing Michael Wacha. Kohl Stewart is out of options and won’t make the team, so he is available for trade. Roberto Mercado is not on the 40-man roster and doesn’t need protection from Rule 5, so he gets another chance at AAA to prove he can stay healthy.

I would like to find a left-handed starter and a right-handed starter as depth guys. Both of these pitchers must have minor league options and no right to refuse demotion, so it is not a good spot for a “build value” free agent.

• Left-handed starting pitcher with options
• Right-handed starting pitcher with options

The bullpen is set too, with Brothers as the closer and Mark Montgomery as the setup man. Darryl Chambers, Dalton Friend (lefty), Ryan Rodebaugh, and Pedro Solis are the other four relievers slated to be on the active roster. Our #1 prospect, reliever Merlin Mackey (48 app at AAA, 2.56 ERA, 17 SV), has been added to the 40-man roster. Mackey was acquired from Oakland in the same trade with Ray Chambers and Ryan Rodebaugh, and he is a candidate to make the team next spring. I would like to add a left-handed reliever to the team, and there are several available in free agency.

• Left-handed reliever with setup stuff

I will be waiting until late in the winter to make free agent offers on pitchers, but a trade could happen sooner.

Jorge Alfaro and Steve Bean are the active roster catchers. Logan Ice (.255/.303/.371 at AAA) still has a minor league option left, and I have recently added Yoel Gonzalez (.226/.341/.333 at AA) to the 40-man roster. Obviously, a third catcher (bats right) with major league experience and minor league options would be a great addition.

• Third-string catcher (bats R) with options

The infield of 1B Kyle Cooper, 2B Franklin Barreto, 3B Trey Michalczewski, and SS J.P. Crawford is all-star quality. The reserves right now would be 2B/3B Hector Rios (bats L) and SS/1B Cristhian Adames (bats S). I have added two more top prospects, 1B/3B Josh Williams (.278/.374/.460 at AAA) and 2B/SS Andre Hicks (.270/.355/.463 at AAA), to the 40-man roster. Williams bats right while Hicks is a switch-hitter without a platoon differential. It is not clear to me that I am better off with the veteran reserves over the rookies. If I have a chance to move one or both of the veterans, I would consider it.

Tarou Sano is the DH. Oscar Taveras is the right fielder. Victor Sharp (.361/.429/.601 and AAA Player of the Year), backs up these two spots and he has a minor league option left. Slick-fielding Albert Almora will be in center field with Vance Knox as his backup. If the season opened today, Dutch Deol would be in left field with everyone’s favorite player, Min-Zhong You, as the backup. You are out of options (if you ever had any).

The ideal solution would to move Knox and You (not you, dear reader) for an outfielder that bats right and can play all three outfield spots. The best free agent fit is 36-year-old Yoenis Cespedes (.254/.313/.393 with ATL). I don’t see him as an upgrade over Dutch Deol, but he is better than you (and probably You). A player that fits my profile perfectly is CF Lonnie Finch of the Washington Nationals. Finch split last season between AAA, where he hit pretty well, and the majors, where he didn’t hit at all. Finch has three minor league options and isn’t close to arbitration at age 24. The Nationals are willing to talk.

• Outfielder that plays CF, LF and bats R (options a plus)

Just for the record, we have about $10 million of salary room and five secondary roster spots available. Players that could be on the block in the right deal:

• CF Vance Knox
• 2B Hector Rios
• SS Cristhian Adames
• SP Kohl Stewart
• MR Ryan Rodebaugh
Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #243
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

St. Louis Cardinals News – December 2021

Cardinals, Nationals Agree to Swap

Name:  trade_20211127.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  31.8 KB

Finch will compete for a spot on the roster next spring. He can play center field well enough to be the regular if he can hit. I gave up virtually nothing to get him because Stewart was not going to make the team and Rodebaugh was likely to be cut to make room for a left-handed reliever. Finch has great intangibles including leadership.

Wong Signs with Baltimore
The Baltimore Orioles signed former Cardinals 2B Kolten Wong to a 6-year contract worth $92M. St. Louis will receive a supplemental first round pick in next June’s draft as compensation. Fan reaction was generally negative, but the club can use this money to retain shortstop J.P. Crawford next year (which the fans will like).

Phillies Sign Catcher J.R. Murphy
The 30-year-old Murphy received $129M over 7 years. He is a helluva hitter but fairly ordinary behind the plate. This is newsworthy for me because I have previously had an interest in Phillies catcher Jonathan Denney. Maybe Philadelphia would move him now.

Dodgers Sign Posey
Buster Posey will be the Dodgers catcher for the next 2 years and receives $33 million.

Cardinals Add Bullpen Depth
St. Louis signed 27-year-old left-handed reliever Wayne Conley to a minor league contract with a $500K signing bonus. Conley was previously with Detroit. Last year, he was 5-4 with a 4.19 ERA in 59 appearances with Toledo (AAA International League).

Winter Meetings
Several big-name free agents signed on the first day of the session:
• SS Addison Russell, LAA, 3 years, $40M
• SP Chad Billingsley, CLE, 2 years, $21M
• SP Tim Lincecum, CLE, 2 years, $32M
• CL Al Alburquerque, CHN, 3 years, $22M

I shopped my excess position players in search of pitching with no success.

More Free Agents Sign
Houston lured 35-year-old SP Andrew Cashner away from the Dodgers on a 3-year, $56M deal. Texas inked former Royals 1B Eric Hosmer to a 3-year, $48M contract. Pittsburgh signed SS Brock Hebert for 3 years, $40M and will pair him with MVP 2B Gian-Andrea Massari.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #244
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

St. Louis Cardinals News – January 2022

The Phillies traded catcher Jonathan Denney to the Orioles for less than I offered, proving that teams don’t like to trade players to their competitors (or that the “hard” trade setting really works). I talked to the Orioles about their former backup (now third-string) catcher, but they were not interested since he has options remaining. I am not likely to add a third quality catcher at this point.

Free Agent Market – Pitchers
I continue to play a waiting game with free agents. I am confident that several pitchers will end up available on one-year deals before the season starts. Four notable starting pitchers signed deals in January:
• Archie Bradley, 29, BAL, 7 years, $67M
• Mat Latos, 34, TEX, 2 years, $12M
• Drew Pomerantz, 33, SEA, 3 years, $33M
• Luis Perdomo, 28, NYN, 3 years, $30M

So, there are fewer teams in the market for the remaining pitchers. The odds increase that one or more pitchers will be willing to accept a “build value” one-year deal.

There are five starting pitchers on the market that, in the opinion of my scout, would be an upgrade over Trevor Rosenthal as the fifth starter. Of course, my scout, like his predecessor, is too negative on Rosenthal based on his performance. Nonetheless, this is a serviceable group of pitchers if the price is right:
• Kevin Gausman, age 31, throws R, bad injury history
• Mark Appel, 30, R, fragile
• Manny Banuelos, 30, L, fragile
• Matt Barnes, 31, R
• Tanner Peters, 31, R

I am surprised that Barnes is still out there. I won’t chase Gausman but any of the other four could be here if they will accept a one-year deal.

There are still three good left-handed setup relievers available. I hope to land one of these on a one-year contract. If not, I may have to make a trade.
• Aaron Loup, 34, iron man
• Alexander Claudio, 30
• Joe Ortiz, 31, fragile

Outfield Upgrade
The Mets have been shopping outfielder Austin Meadows, presumably because their budget is tight. He is a 26-year-old left-handed batter with good power, speed, and defense. He also has great intangibles and leadership skills. He is an upgrade over Vance Knox, but he makes twice the money. It might be worth the investment to provide competition in the outfield. Meadows will make $6M next season with an arbitration estimate of $8M for 2023. That is ultimately affordable if he replaces Deol as a starter, but it is a lot to pay a backup and it would hamper my ability to negotiate an extension for Crawford. I also still have a preference for a right-handed hitter as the regular left-fielder.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #245
Vortex421
Minors (Single A)

Orcin,

Can you give us the lines on those five SPs you have your eye on for the 2021 season? I'd like to see how they stack up compared to Rosenthal. (I know you're not going after Gausman, but I'd still be interested to see anyways)
Vortex421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #246
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex421 View Post
Orcin,

Can you give us the lines on those five SPs you have your eye on for the 2021 season? I'd like to see how they stack up compared to Rosenthal. (I know you're not going after Gausman, but I'd still be interested to see anyways)

Sure!

2021 Stats:
Rosenthal... 30 G, 29 GS, 188 IP, 14-5, 3.48 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 157 K
Gausman.... 17 G, 17 GS, 115 IP, 6-8, 3.30 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 85 K
Appel.......... 34 G, 34 GS, 223 IP, 11-16, 4.04 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 199 K
Banuelos.... 31 G, 31 GS, 199 IP, 12-10, 3.75 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 158 K
Barnes........ 32 G, 32 GS, 203 IP, 12-7, 3.29 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 143 K
Peters......... 33 G, 33 GS, 198 IP, 11-10, 3.60 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 132 K
Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #247
Vortex421
Minors (Single A)

If they're calling Appel "fragile", I sure don't see it on this line. 34 games, 223 IP? You might want to do a fresh physical on him, because if he is healthy I'd actually probably go after him first after I see his FIP and GB%. He looked like a workhorse, and I think that his W/L and ERA may be more deceiving than they appear.

Honestly, him aside I think your best target is to go after Barnes. His numbers check in slightly better than Rosenthal, though I'd love to see FIP numbers on him as well. Rosenthal's FIP was worst on your staff at 4.40, which tells me that your defense probably saved his butt on more than one occasion.

Second behind Barnes would probably be Banuelos, though it would be close with Peters. The one distinguishing feature I see between the two is that Banuelos had about 25-30 more Ks than Peters despite a slightly higher ERA and the same number of innings.
Vortex421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #248
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

St. Louis Cardinals 2022 Pre-Season

The Cardinals had the #23 off-season with a net loss of 5.9 WAR value. The decline was primarily due to the loss of premium free agent 2B Kolten Wong (to Baltimore). However, the calculation does not account for the fact that Franklin Barreto was already on our team as the replacement for Wong.

Cardinals Pre-Season Transactions
• I passed on the trade for Austin Meadows because he is not much better than Vance Knox (based on ratings) for twice the money.
• I was unable to sign a starting pitcher upgrade on a one-year contract. I hope to be able to re-sign Michael Wacha for AAA insurance after the season starts.
• I lost out on all of the available free agent left-handed setup relievers because I was unwilling to pay more than $5M per year.
• Lefty AAA reliever Wayne Conley was added to the 40-man roster and brought to spring training to compete for the final bullpen spot.
• Signed veteran 1B/3B B.A. Vollmuth (age 32, bats R, 2021 BOS: .273/.314/.443) for 1 year, $1.2M. The former Cardinal will compete for a bench spot and has options.
• Signed 2B/SS Will Hurt (28, R, 2021 MIN: .232/.264.368) for 1 year at $1M to provide infield depth. Hurt has 2 options remaining.
• Signed SP Lowell Scott (28, throws R, 2021 AAA: 13-11, 4.28 ERA) to a minor league contract with a $550K signing bonus. Scott will fill out the AAA rotation.
• Traded 3B Gilbert Griffin to San Diego for LH pitcher Trey Ball (age 27, 2021: 3.97 ERA in 90 relief IP) and $2.5M in cash. Ball will audition as a starter at AAA.

Spring Position Battles
The fifth starter slot will be contested between Trevor Rosenthal and Ray Chambers. Newly-acquired lefty Trey Ball will start the season as a starter in AAA unless he is needed in the bullpen. The bullpen still needs another lefty unless it is Conley.

First base is Gold-Glove winner Kyle Cooper’s to lose. Veteran B.A. Vollmuth will be the backup at first and third as well as the primary pinch-hitter. Rookie Josh Williams will start the season at AAA unless he blows me away in the spring.

The backup middle infielder will be decided in the spring. The best shortstop of the bunch, Cristhian Adames, is the favorite. Hector Rios and Will Hurt are contenders. Rookie Andre Hicks will probably begin the season at AAA.

The fourth outfield spot is almost certain to belong to someone that can play center field. The real question is who will play left field? More on that next…
Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #249
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Left Field

Outfielders that bat from the right side with defensive skills and power are extremely rare. For this exercise, please keep in mind that my ratings scale is 20-80 (50 being average). I filtered the player database on my scout’s ratings as follows: Bats=R, CON=50, PWR=50, EYE=50, OF RNG=55 and OF ERR=55. Using 2021 stats, I required 375 PA (approx. 110 games) to eliminate part-time players and filtered for OPS > .715 (because this was the “OPS+ = 100” average value last year).

The resulting list was 5 players. By the way, if I increase all of the offensive ratings to 55, the list is reduced to one player: Miami RF Giancarlo Stanton. So it is a very small population of really good right-handed hitting outfielders.

Sorting the list by last year’s OPS, Dutch Deol is #3. Ahead of him are Stanton and Texas CF Chris Snider, a guy that was discussed often in trade talks last year. Snider is paid the same as Dutch Deol, and looks just like him on paper except that Snider can play center field. Deol only plays the corners, but he does that extremely well.

My roster is delicately balanced (did I mention that I am a Libra?). I want my left fielder to bat right-handed to balance my lineup. I want my center fielder to play exceptional defense (Almora). I want my fourth outfielder to make less than $5M/year (i.e. starter money). For all of these reasons, my roster could include Deol or Snider, but not both. That’s why Snider is not already here. My scout says Deol (nine months older) has a better eye and therefore more upside.

Obviously, I can’t afford Stanton even if he were available, so I can’t really improve on Dutch Deol in left field unless I go with a left-handed hitter. They are far more common, and I have a couple of candidates already in Vance Knox and PCL Player of the Year Victor Sharp. There’s no reason for me to trade for a LH-batting left fielder and tie up a bunch of money there. I can find those on the waiver wire, or acquire a good overpaid one via trade any day of the week.

Before I leave the subject, I expanded the list by using career stats instead of last year, increasing the PA to 1000, and using an arbitrary maximum age of 30. The list dropped to two players: Deol and Boston CF Clint Frazier (didn’t make last year’s list because he had an off-year at age 27). I checked with Boston but Frazier is not available.

This analysis convinced me that I need to give Deol another shot to prove himself worthy of a spot in the lineup and his lofty salary. He is on a short leash.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #250
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

J.P. Crawford Contract Extension

I need to find out if Crawford can be signed. He is only 27 and one of the few five-star players in the league. I run the risk that he turns in a MVP season that could make him completely unaffordable when he reaches free agency in two years.

His agent opened the negotiations with a shocking demand for five years and $132M (average of $26M/year). I drew a line in the sand a long time ago at Oscar Taveras (6 years, $117M). At this point, I had two choices. The first option was to wait until a more favorable time (such as during a mid-season slump) and ask again. Or, I could force the issue now by offering the contract that I want to sign, effectively calling his bluff. The worst case is a counter-offer that I ignore and we revert back to option 1.

I chose door #2 and offered the contract that I had scribbled onto a sheet of paper after studying comparable players over the winter: six years, $92M ($15.33M/year). (FYI… Crawford’s loyalty and greed are both rated normal, so this was a fairly safe play.)

Lo and behold, Crawford was indeed bluffing. He said that my offer met his needs and he would let me know his answer in a few days. The rumor got out quickly and the fans were excited over the possibility of keeping Crawford away from free agency.

This contract will keep Crawford in a Cardinals uniform through age 33. Now, I need to keep him healthy. I want to give him regular rest (at least one day per week) during the season in the hope that it will improve his durability. Thus, a good backup shortstop is a priority position on the final 25-man roster.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #251
toxicavenger74
All Star Reserve

Hi Orcin
I Enjoy reading this dynasty as well as the others. One question I do have is which type of league do you enjoy more? Fictional or real?

Thanks!!
toxicavenger74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #252
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger74 View Post
Hi Orcin
I Enjoy reading this dynasty as well as the others. One question I do have is which type of league do you enjoy more? Fictional or real?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reading!

I like fictional (or semi-fictional like this) more than historical. I feel trapped in a historical league by the things that I know. I can't trade for Phil Niekro as a rookie reliever because I know that he becomes a Hall of Fame starter and it feels like cheating. I can't trade for Joe Dimaggio as a Cardinals GM because Joe should be on the Yankees and not the Cardinals. I don't have any of these hangups in a fictional league, thus I am free to build the best team that I can. I also think it is more challenging without the real-life stats tab.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #253
DonBraswell
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hi Orcin, as you know I feel the same way about fictional leagues. You don't know what to expect from the teams or players. This way there are always surprises.
Don
DonBraswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #254
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training Summary

• Albert Almora strained his hamstring on March 20 and will miss 4 weeks. He was placed on the 15-day D/L. CF Lonnie Finch made the team on this news.
• LF Dutch Deol was HBP in one of the final spring games but his elbow bruise will be healed by opening day.
• Trevor Rosenthal held on to the fifth starter job with an excellent 1.13 ERA in 16 IP.
• A very mediocre spring by Cristhian Adames caused me to trade for the best backup shortstop that I could find, and he is a familiar name (see posts #55 and #81)…

Cardinals Swap Infielders with Rockies
Colorado receives 29-year-old second baseman Héctor Ríos from St. Louis in return for 27-year-old shortstop Cris Navarro and $1,000,000 in cash. Ríos has a .283 career batting average with 15 home runs. Navarro is batting .269 in his career with 17 home runs. Offensively, they are comparable players, except that Rios bats left and Navarro bats right. Navarro is the stronger defensive player, especially at shortstop (which is my most critical need).

Opening Day Active Roster Decisions
The pitching staff decisions were complicated by players with no minor league options.

Starters (7 on 40-man roster, 6 on active roster)
Locks: Odorizzi, Walker, Flores, Thompson, Rosenthal, R. Chambers
Option to AAA: Ball (only because I want to see him as a starter)

Bullpen (7 on 40-man roster, 6 on active roster)
Locks: Brothers (closer), Montgomery (setup), Friend, D. Chambers, Solis, Conley
Option to AAA: Mackey (only because I want to keep the situational left-hander Conley)

Catcher: (4 on 40-man roster, 2 on active roster)
Locks: Alfaro, Bean
Option to AAA: Ice, Gonzalez

Infield: (10 on 40-man roster, 6 on active roster)
Locks: Cooper, Barreto, Michalczewski, Crawford, Vollmuth, Navarro
Option to AAA: Williams, Hurt, Hicks, Adames

Outfield/DH: (9 on 40-man roster, 5 on active roster)
Locks: Sano, Deol, Finch, Taveras, Knox
15-Day D/L: Almora
Option to AAA: Sharp, J. Adams
Waive & DFA: You (cleared and assigned to AAA)

Opening Day lineup will be:
Barreto, 2b – Crawford, ss – Taveras, rf – Alfaro, c – Sano, dh – Cooper, 1b – T-Mick, 3b – Deol, lf – Finch, cf

The 40-man roster contains 36 players (no longer counting You or you) and the player payroll is $136M (#6 in MLB and $4M under my personal target) which leaves about $4M for another pitcher. The highest-paid player is RF Oscar Taveras at $17M (#23 in MLB).

Name:  position_rank_20220404.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  57.2 KB

The minor league system is #26 out 30 teams, with reliever Merlin Mackey (#46) as the only Top-100 prospect. The Cubs (yikes) have the #1 farm system, followed by the world champion Phillies (gulp) and N.L. runner-up Dodgers (eek). The draft quality and international scouting better improve fast, because it is hard to trade for top prospects.

Name:  predictions_2022.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  180.9 KB

BNN definitely likes our pitching. However, if it doesn’t get us past the first round of the playoffs, it wasn’t good enough. Our owner’s expectation is “reach the playoffs” but I think he really wants more. He is “ecstatic” at the moment, probably because of the 100 fan interest score and all of the profit that he is making.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #255
gwalk
Bat Boy

i see the dbacks have jenkings @ 1b

what happened to goldschmidt?

what about trout and cabrera (im guessing cabrera is pretty old by now)
gwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #256
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalk View Post
what happened to goldschmidt?

what about trout and cabrera (im guessing cabrera is pretty old by now)

Paul Goldschmidt was replaced at first base by prospect Matt Olsen in 2015. Goldschmidt played part-time for two years and then left as a free agent. No one signed him and he finally just retired.

Mike Trout suffered a career-ending torn labrum in 2015 and retired.

Miguel Cabrera (I assume you meant Miguel?) is 39 years old and currently playing first base for the Atlanta Braves. He has a .308 career average with 586 home runs (#10 all-time) and 1,982 RBI's (#7 all-time). He is a sure Hall of Famer.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #257
gwalk
Bat Boy

ugh that ending to goldschmidt makes me cringe... sad sad day.
oh ya i think i remember the trout injury now.

i normally dont do stuff like this, but i would most definitley unretire trout after a few seasons with a drop in ratings just to see him in the game, love that guy (not saying you should have)
gwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #258
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

St. Louis Cardinals @ Los Angeles Angels
We open with an interleague series against the 2021 A.L. West champs (84-79). It’s our misfortune to face two of MLB’s best pitchers (Strasburg and Wiener) right off the bat, but we were bound to see somebody’s ace. The Opening Day pairing of Odorizzi and Strasburg is a marquee matchup.

Name:  game2022-001.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  34.0 KB

04/04/2022 (G001): LAA 1, STL 0
WP: Strasburg (1-0), LP: Odorizzi (0-1)
HR: LAA – Ramsey (1)

Stephen Strasburg shut out the Cardinals on 7 hits, striking out 11 while walking none. Jake Odorizzi allowed a solo homer by James Ramsey in the 5th inning to account for all of the scoring in the game. Odorizzi also went all the way, allowing 6 hits and striking out 8 without a walk.

Name:  game2022-002.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  32.6 KB

04/05/2022 (G002): LAA 11, STL 1
WP: Wiener (1-0), LP: Walker (0-1)
HR: LAA – Espinosa (1), Cecchini (1), Lopez (1)

The Angels jumped on starter Taijuan Walker for six runs in the first four innings, and went on to a blowout 11-1 win in game 2 of the series. Danny Espinosa put the game out of reach with a grand slam in the 5th off reliever Wayne Conley, who was making his major league debut. Angels RF Armando Lopez was 2-3 with a HR. David Wiener went 8 innings for the win, allowing only 4 hits.

Name:  game2022-003.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  36.0 KB

04/06/2022 (G003): LAA 3, STL 1 (11)
WP: Gray (1-0), LP: Montgomery (0-1)
HR: LAA – McKinney (1)

Travis McKinney’s walk-off home run in the 11th gave the Angels a sweep over visiting St. Louis. A.J. Schugel held the Cardinals to 1 run over 8 innings, scattering 8 hits and 3 walks while striking out 7. St. Louis wasted a great performance by starting pitcher Jose Flores, who went 8 2/3 innings and allowed just 1 run.

An observation: Lack of timely hitting is a serious concern. We had the potential winning run on second with no outs in the 10th inning of game three, and stranded him with three strikeouts. We left 18 men on base over the three games, many of those in scoring position. It goes without saying that scoring less than one run per game is unacceptable.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #259
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

Ouch. Not the way you want to start a season. Very much looking forward to how you plan to close the gap to the Angels.
AstaSyneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #260
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
Ouch. Not the way you want to start a season. Very much looking forward to how you plan to close the gap to the Angels.

At least they are not in my division!