Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 08-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
hicklstix
Bat Boy

Team Style of play

I want to know how other people different styles of teams and what players they would choose over other players. Like if you are manager that is strong about pitching and builds his team around pitching. Or you like to build your team around offences and score a lot of runs.

My Style of play is that I like to get players that have lots of speed and a few good hitter. I also like to have a good starting rotation. I also like to have lots of young players and prospects, so I can wheel and deal.

So tell me what you do and I might giver a try!
hicklstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
relrel1809
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Team Style of play

For me I look for 2 strong SPs, a lot of good relievers, and all my hitters should be high contact high speed guys lol
relrel1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Ike348
All Star Starter

DOMINANT BULLPEN. Everybody must be at least 4.5 stars overall and under 30 (except for my closer, I stick with him until he gets really old).

STRONG ROTATION. 3 starters must be at least 4.5 stars, and have control higher than 70. The other two still have to be fairly decent.

HIGH CONTACT, LOW POWER. I must have 5 guys on my team that have contact at 60+ and power below 10. I'd rather have guys hitting .290 with 2 HRs than guys hitting .210 with 25 HRs. Eye is also important to me. Only my 3-4 guys have good power and only my 4 hitter is allowed to have lowish contact.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
hicklstix
Bat Boy

I don't really like guys that strikeout a lot and their average is low. The guys that get on base a lot and can steal and hit for average are my kinda of guys. They can cause a lot problems for the other team. In my starting rotation I to have 3 guys 4 to 5 stars. And the the other two can 3 stars. Full star closer and the rest I sign cheap at the end of preseason usually 4 stars.
hicklstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
derekjeter92
Minors (Double A)

I build around whatever I get from my draft for the most part. I don't care too much for speed but I generally have a lead off hitter get around ~30+ steals and hope they hit for a high average. I always try to have at least 1 powerhouse hitter who will get me 40+ HR, preferably I try to have 2.

I try not to spend too much on FA unless they are an elite hitter/pitcher, where I will try to salary dump to make room for them and lock them up long term. They only come along every 5/6 years it seems though. I always try to have 1 stud ace and preferably 3 good SP as I go to a 3 man rotation in the playoffs. Try to get stud closer/set up and cycle out middle relievers once they start making $5/6 mil a year. If my closer wants $10 mil I generally get rid of them too unless they are guaranteed under 2 ERA.
derekjeter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Scottiedog
All Star Reserve

In a nutshell...I'm a Moneyball guy. I look for solid defense, OBP and loading up with as many quality arms as possible.

"Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem. "

Giovani della Casa

"I cannot divine how it happens that the man who knows the least is the most argumentative”
Scottiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Dominant rotation. Have all 5 4.5 star guys in your rotation and then get at least 4 4.5 potential SP as your middle relievers. Then as they middle relievers develop, trade your established guys before their arbitration runs out for another potential guy and a hitter. Eventually you will have a dynasty.

As for line up, I go for speed/contact at the top of the order, power in the middle and contact at the end.
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
MooseMichaels
Minors (Rookie Ball)

My own personal style is as follows. In my experience, to have a shot at winning your leagues championship, you absolutely must have 3 top flight pitchers. By top flight I don't mean a particular overall value of stars. It's highly unlikely you'll be able to sign or trade for that many great pitchers all at once without sinking your team else where. In my current fictional league I currently carry 3 such pitchers. One I developed myself, one I traded for, and one I signed as a free agent. The pitcher I developed is easily the best. He is a 4.5 star pitcher with 3 pitches rated 18 or higher on a 0-20 scale and two other pitches that are 11 and 14 respectively. The other two are comparable to him. It took a few season to collect those arms. In my bullpen I carry only young, cheap arms with the exception of my closer. Their overall value means little to me as I pay more attention to control and stuff as well as pitch ratings. I'll sometimes get some from my system who are highly rated.

As for my line-ups I really value my farm system and will go within my organization to fill needs unless there is a free agent or tradable assets that I just cannot pass up. I'm fairly traditional but out side my 3 and 4 hole hitters who I prefer to have beastly power, I tend to go for as high contact as I can up and down the line up.

Now how can one keep this up? Well I built my farm system and then as those guys graduate I watch them at the big league level for a season or two. If they perform and continue to get better, in season 3 I offer an 8 year deal with an AAV of around 16 mil. That way I always have a core. I've won my leagues championship 5 out of the last 8 seasons without a single player making over 17 mil. Keep your young talent. That's my secret. I only let them walk once they've turned 32-33 unless there is no obvious replacement.
MooseMichaels is offline   Reply With Quote