Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

What happened to my Walkers?

June 4, 2024.
My St. Louis River Walkers, of the Midwest Baseball League, came out of spring training forecasted by the experts at OOTP to go 94-68, not only putting them atop of the South Division of the National League but owners of the best record in all the MBL
Things started great, going 7-3 out of the gate.
But since April 10, the season has been nothing but a nightmare as the Walkers have gone 16-30 and tumbled into last place in the NL South some seven games in back of first-place Des Moines.
The bulk of it is on the offense, as the Walkers rank last in most team categories and only above 10th in walks received and base running.
Although the offense has stunk across the board, here are the three main accomplices:

Andrew Benintendi, the 29-year-old outfielder won the MBL MVP in 2018 and has put up a WAR of at least 4.66 every season since.
This season, through 55 games, he is batting .209 with seven homers, 26 RBIs and a OPS of .660.
He has a career OPS of .892.
Against left-handed pitchers this season, he is batting .085 with a .189 OBP. Making him a benchwarmer when a southpaw is on the mound.
Rhys Hoskins, Currently on a medical rehab in AAA, his play warrants him being there anyway.
The 31-year-old first baseman has batted .204 with three homers and 11 RBIs with a OPS of .626.
In 2023, he batted .255 with 38 homers and 92 RBIs with an .839 OPS.
For his career, he has averaged a .268 BA, with 36 HRs and 112 RBIs, with an .880 OPS over his career.
Michael Toglia, A second-year outfielder coming off a season where he won a Silver Slugger in right field and finished second in the Rookie of the Year voting, the 25-year-old is batting .194 with two homers and nine RBIs, along with a .515 OPS, in 31 games.
He also missed the start of the season with a broken finger and has spent time in the minors.
In his rookie season, Toglia hit .289 with 35 homers and 89 RBIs, along with a .947 OPS.
I made a change in the bench coach and the hitting coach around Memorial Day.

Going from a neutral to contact guy as batting coach, as we lead the league in strikeouts..
Although, there are no issues in team chemistry department, no bad apples in the clubhouse and a rating of "Happy", the bench coach (Alex Cora) already is listed as having a bad relationship with Benintendi, although the rest of his bad relationships are all pitchers.

The pitching, for the most part, has held its own at least enough where they should not take the fall for the team struggles.
This is more of an opportunity to vent. But any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

When this happens I start tinkering with the lineup and focusing on who can get on base at all.

I usually do one major trade for a good locker room veteran and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

This things happen, don't get too frustrated, they will wake up if they are a good team eventually.

Check out this player and his struggles this year. He went from All-Star + Rookie of the year to -0.3 WAR in the first part of the season.

That's why I call it OOTP Random now.

http://www.simgamingnetwork.com/blb/...yer_11216.html

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
pgjocki
All Star Starter

If you want to compare real life to OOTP look at Matt Carpenter the last 2 years: he went from top 5 MVP to being benched for a rookie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if their ratings haven't dropped, hav faith... (it's funny when i get to use the word faith..puts a smile on my face.)

the eye dropping isn't a big deal for the most part. it won't cost too many runs on its own. i see ratings of players that can still be volatile, albeit upper half or better of players. bad years are normal and should happen.

i'd look at the historical rating line graph, make sure potential didn't drop with current ability. those line bard in main profile aren't always telling the whole story about current ability vs potential. just focus on current ability line graph for that.. unmet potential isn't relevant.

even a player rated like mike trout or better can have bad year... albeit more rare. their 'normal' bad years are still good years if you don't compare to their baselines, but they can have a dumpster fire of a year at any time, too, where they look like riff-raff relative to any baseline.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
rink23
Hall Of Famer

I have seen WAAAAY too much of Matt Carpenter over the past two years.
Thankfully, Mo gave him an extension so he can hang around for two more seasons.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote