Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
revmcgator
All Star Starter

A little more I in the AI, please

The scene: Bottom of the 5th, 2 outs, nobody on.

Pitching for the Hatchets, Historical Legend, PERFECT Walter "Big Train" Johnson.

Johnson's Hatchets are up 12-2, he's struck out 8, walked none, and only thrown 81 pitches.

At which point the AI PULLS JOHNSON FOR A RELIEVER!!!

Johnson is therefore ineligible for the eventual 17-2 win. (In his next start, Johnson will throw 102 pitches in a complete-game 8-1 win.)

This doesn't just seem like artificial intelligence, it seems maliciously intentional.
revmcgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

alternatively, why bother continuing to pitch and risk injury in a game that is sewn up?
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
revmcgator
All Star Starter

I'll risk going one more out for an easy win to add to the stats and win streak.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
alternatively, why bother continuing to pitch and risk injury in a game that is sewn up?
No injuries in Perfect Team.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Triple A)

Oh man. Wally's agent must be pissed at this manipulation so the team can save a dime on arbitration settlement.
CurlyKarkovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyKarkovice View Post
Oh man. Wally's agent must be pissed at this manipulation so the team can save a dime on arbitration settlement.
Meanwhile, Wally is likely overjoyed he has things like "agents" and "arbitration."
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
neugey
All Star Reserve

Any issues you encounter while up 12-2 are certainly first world problems!

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
No injuries in Perfect Team.
yea you're right, my bad lol
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #9
atabakin
All Star Reserve

I know in 19 there were ejections for bench-clearing brawls, arguing third strike calls, etc... could this be what happened here? Could Johnson have hit someone that led to his ejection?
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
Edster007
All Star Starter

I've had more than couple of occasions where a pitcher was between 90-101 pitches in the 8th inning giving up one or fewer runs and gets pulled with the lead by the AI to start an inning and my bullpen blew the games more than a few times. Then there are other games where the same pitcher has allowed more base runners and runs and stays in the game longer and throws 118-125 pitches

I have the hook pitcher set at neutral and no pitch counts in place and I fear what would happen if I slowed the hook down and just let it be.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #11
Mormo
Minors (Single A)

If I was in that same situation and the ai left my pitcher in I'd be mad.
Mormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
Any issues you encounter while up 12-2 are certainly first world problems!
Even the worst of teams never go winless.

People risked bans to test this

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #13
revmcgator
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
I know in 19 there were ejections for bench-clearing brawls, arguing third strike calls, etc... could this be what happened here? Could Johnson have hit someone that led to his ejection?
No. Just straight-up got taken out. 7th or 8th inning and I would understand. FIFTH inning??? Nope.

And, yes, I momentarily forgot that there are no injuries in PT, which makes this even worse.

And, yes, a first-world problem for sure.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Only reason I could think of him being pulled in that situation is if he was on short rest, he might have had a low pitch limit for the game. Otherwise it would be very rare to pull a starter with 2 outs and nobody on in an inning - we'll intentionally even keep a guy past an actual pitch limit on him in those cases, figuring that if he can get the next guy out you can pull him and have a new guy start fresh in the next inning.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #15
revmcgator
All Star Starter

I think that's it, though I still disagree with the AI in this case.

WJ was pitching on 3 days rest (instead of his usual 4), but had only thrown 99 pitches in his previous start (he averages over 107 and his stamina is 100). He has no pitch limit set. A normal starter is one thing, but not a guy of this caliber.

Also, a few weeks later, he was pulled after 85 pitches in another blowout win. This time it was with one out, nobody on in the 5th. Again, he gets no decision. And again it was on "short rest", after throwing 83 pitches in the previous start.

The AI doesn't seem to distinguish in amount of pitches to determine fatigue. So maybe that's the problem.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #16
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

On the other end of the spectrum, sometimes the starter will go deeper into the game than you ever thought they could. Had a game where the entire bullpen was depleted from the game before, so the AI let Randy Johnson throw 154 pitches in 8 2/3 innings for the win, even with him giving up 5 runs on 6 hits & 6 walks.

Last edited by pappyzan; 06-26-2019 at 11:05 AM.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #17
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmcgator View Post
I think that's it, though I still disagree with the AI in this case.

WJ was pitching on 3 days rest (instead of his usual 4), but had only thrown 99 pitches in his previous start (he averages over 107 and his stamina is 100). He has no pitch limit set. A normal starter is one thing, but not a guy of this caliber.

Also, a few weeks later, he was pulled after 85 pitches in another blowout win. This time it was with one out, nobody on in the 5th. Again, he gets no decision. And again it was on "short rest", after throwing 83 pitches in the previous start.

The AI doesn't seem to distinguish in amount of pitches to determine fatigue. So maybe that's the problem.
Seems like a classic feature not bug situation meant to prevent people from abusing 4 man rotations like in 19.

The number of pitches does matter, but the days are most important. A 10 run lead seems like a reasonable time to pull a guy going on short rest instead of managing for stats.

Last edited by dkgo; 04-11-2019 at 09:11 AM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #18
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yeah, guys on 3 days rest probably can only handle about 80 pitches before getting tired, even guys with 100 stamina. Remember the league stats level is set to around 2010 values, so guys don't go on short rest very often.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #19
Edster007
All Star Starter

The game that just completed. Ron Guidry on 5 days rest is pitching a 3 hit shut out and we are up 9-0 going to the 9th. He retires the first two batters and is pulled one out away from a complete game shutout (he had thrown 118 pitches). Seems like something that would never happen. If you send him out to pitch the 9th and doesnt surrender a couple of hits/runs he may have well finished it off.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote