Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Centerfield suggestions that aren't Mike Trout

I know it seems silly, but I like the idea of having a unique set of fellas on my team. Trout is the easy way out. And I'm not a huge fan of LIVE cards, since there is all this history I can play with.

I've got a Gary Maddox/Shane Victorino thing going in CF right now, and it's one of two weak points I have. Since reaching Diamond, Maddox's production has dropped like a rock.

I have about 25K to spend (less if possible - I need one good reliever, too) and would prefer someone who isn't a horrible fielder (now I'm getting picky).

Looking at 96 Mantle ('61), a Griffey Jr. card (if one ever shows up), but wondering about what's out there that I don't know about. César Cedeño keeps popping up. I'm an Astros fan and remember him playing, but I'm not sure if he can hang.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."

Last edited by enuttage; 03-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.
enuttage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I've had good luck with 96 Duke Snider. You could use him in Perfect leagues too if you keep Maddox for a platoon and late-inning defensive replacement. The 92 Griffey Jr. is good too with more speed and better defense, but lacks the power of Snider.

I had the 96 Mays for a long time and it is a good balanced card that will give you 2-3 WAR every year. I sold him and bought Snider only because my lineup needed more lefties.

The cheap alternative is the 75 Ashburn in a platoon with your Maddox. Great defense and speed between the two but not much pop.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
pgjocki
All Star Starter

I don't remember if Matty Alou has CF rating but he's a high average and obs guy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, y'all.

Orcin, I looked at that Mays card, but actually you were the one that convinced me to hold off due to his underperformance for your team not long ago. Hehe.

I am chock full o' lefties. I might be TOO lefty-heavy, honestly.

Minus Victorino (platoon with Maddox) and Kennedy (platoon with Javy Lopez, which may win the job over him soon), those guys are FT for both lineups.

I plan to replace Klein with Hank Aaron (87) sometime soon when I have the funds, but he is producing just fine now despite fairly dismal defense.

I will check out Alou and Snider, but leaning toward Junior, as he was always a personal fav of mine as a kid/teen.

Still open to other suggestions. I love this community.
Attached Images

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."

Last edited by enuttage; 03-16-2019 at 10:31 AM.
enuttage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
atabakin
All Star Reserve

97 Lynn has been solid for me. But he's another lefty and really needs to be platooned.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #6
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
I think Cesar Cedeno's diamond card looks pretty solid.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

I run Trout on one of my Perfect League teams and find he is very hit or miss. He usually finishes with a decent WAR somehow, but more because of a plethora of walks than it is actual run creation. He is a balanced player who doesn't wow you with his BA that's for sure.

My other two teams I am running Jacoby Ellsbury 90 and for a reasonably priced alternative you could do worse. He actually competes with my Trout for WAR - again a balanced guy who may not win triple crowns but doesn't do anything poorly either.

Keep in mind this is a TOUGH Perfect league too (Orcin's cap league)... so pitching and competition are tight. Trout is better, but not infinitely. In most years their actual offensive numbers are fairly comparable.

Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

I have just started running the 95 Cesar Cedeno on one of my teams full time in LF and off to a rocky start at the plate - hitting .183 with 1 dinger in 90 plate appearances. Small sample so don't judge much by that. But despite the great wheels his defense is sub par in center (58 max). Better in left or right if you train him up.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuttage View Post
Orcin, I looked at that Mays card, but actually you were the one that convinced me to hold off due to his underperformance for your team not long ago. Hehe.
I now regret having sold Mays. I wish there were a feature to turn off the AH so I can't rage-sell cards that are off to a slow start. I guess the feature is called self-control but there must be a bug in my brain that prevents this feature from working properly.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
mess
Minors (Triple A)

Devon White has won me 5 or so Great Gloves in a row.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #11
absurddoctor
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzie View Post
I run Trout on one of my Perfect League teams and find he is very hit or miss. He usually finishes with a decent WAR somehow, but more because of a plethora of walks than it is actual run creation.
I knew his walk rate was good, but I don't think I realized just how good until I was looking at league leaders in walks for the first time ever in PT this season. In my perfect league, he was leading with 96 walks at the time, while second place had 47.
absurddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Why would you want anything less than the best?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #13
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzie View Post
I run Trout on one of my Perfect League teams and find he is very hit or miss. He usually finishes with a decent WAR somehow, but more because of a plethora of walks than it is actual run creation. He is a balanced player who doesn't wow you with his BA that's for sure.
Walks have a big effect in run creation. That's why OBP is about 10 times more important than BA.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
chazzycat
All Star Starter

It comes down to park factors IMO. Trout is a beast with high HR/low AVG modifiers which play to his offensive strengths (power & walks). He just won MVP for me in diamond with that park setup. But his contact rating is not really elite for the higher levels, so he is not quite as dominant if you reverse the factors. I think only if your park is set to extremely favor AVG/GAP over HR would you want to consider other CF. Otherwise he is indisputably the best.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #15
MistaD72
Bat Boy

I've heard good things about Ty Cobb
MistaD72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Cobb's bat & legs are ridiculously good, like best in the game. But he is a poor defender (and his cards are super expensive). I think if I somehow managed to afford that card he would play a corner OF spot or maybe even DH.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
I don't remember if Matty Alou has CF rating but he's a high average and obs guy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
another plug here for Alou (only a 64 rated card but plays well above that)... had him as my CF on my pack-only team for 10 seasons until I pulled, ironically enough for the thread, Mike Trout

see this post for Alou's career batting for my squad:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...&postcount=116
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
humboldt1498
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
Cobb's bat & legs are ridiculously good, like best in the game. But he is a poor defender (and his cards are super expensive). I think if I somehow managed to afford that card he would play a corner OF spot or maybe even DH.
The 96 Ty Cobb card completely transformed my offense. He was putting up 6+ WAR a season in CF and now 7+ WAR a season in LF. Guy hits .300 with .400 OBP and 100+ steals every year in perfect. Great card if you dont mind the defensive shortcomings. Even better if you can stick him in a corner OF spot.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 PM   #19
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
Walks have a big effect in run creation. That's why OBP is about 10 times more important than BA.

No I don't disagree and think I may have worded that wrong... what I mean is his actual numbers outside of walks (BA, HR, RBI, Runs, Steals) are not usually all that stellar.