Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
Kushiel
All Star Starter

P 407 Season 15

The Yakety Yaks would like to welcome you all to Season 15. I see some familiar faces that I have struggled with before. Good luck everybody. Have fun!

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Due to an inadvertent and potentially embarrassing promotion, the Votice Bohemians will be joining you, though relatively safely tucked away in the AC.
justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I am glad you made it. I have a weaker team that got promoted to perfect too.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
I am glad you made it. I have a weaker team that got promoted to perfect too.
1-0 so far, just 161 more to go!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Californian Angels checking in.

I've crossed paths with Kushiel before in the forums and in league play, although if I recall correctly only with my other Perfect Level team with the rotating Game of Thrones theme.

And glad to see justpatrick and the Votice Bohemians here as well.

I spent a good amount of time in 1989-1990 in the Czech Republic and have been longing to return ever since. If it was practical I'd move there in a heartbeat. (While trying to avoid my first wife, who is from there )

Good luck, gentlemen!
2002halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

By the way, my Game of Thrones team (named Lannister Lions last week) was up against Seoul Scumbags last week.

It was a weird 22-team league and he and I were in the same division of a league with two divisions of 6 teams. He beat me 12 of 15 regular season games, and I finished in 3rd in the division, 6 games behind him.

But I was the 2nd Wild Card with a better record than the second best team in the other division. And in this setup both Wild Cards go straight to the DS with the 2nd one facing the best overall record.

So of course that meant I faced Seoul in the DS.

I swept him 12-8, 10-4, 12-8!

But the second place team from our division (Hillsboro Hops) easily beat the other division winner and then easily handled me, sweeping the CS in four.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Baseball is, indeed, a funny game.

How is a 22 team league arranged, 10 and 12?

I was in a Diamond league last year with 20 teams, which I think is one reason I managed to get promoted. Having only ten teams in your conference leads to some strange things, like my backup catcher making the all-star team while my starting catcher did not. I also had five or so all-stars, so not a bad haul from the PP.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Kushiel
All Star Starter

The Hops are a nice team. I was surprised when I seen your name and it was not GOT abbreviation.

Last edited by Kushiel; 03-11-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Checked my records...

Yakety Yaks knocked my GoT team out 3-2 in a Division Series in 2026, when they were called Lhazar Shepherds.

Another team I recognize (and fear) is Everett Aqua Sox. They've been a monster whale right from the start beating my GoT team 4-1 in a CS way back in 2021.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpatrick View Post
Baseball is, indeed, a funny game.

How is a 22 team league arranged, 10 and 12?

I was in a Diamond league last year with 20 teams, which I think is one reason I managed to get promoted. Having only ten teams in your conference leads to some strange things, like my backup catcher making the all-star team while my starting catcher did not. I also had five or so all-stars, so not a bad haul from the PP.
Yes that's how it's arranged. Balanced schedule with no inter-league. It was my second time in two weeks being in a league like that. The week before, both my Perfect Level teams were in a league like that in one of the 5-team divisions, and captured both wild card spots.

I haven't experienced a 20-team league, but this season my GoT team is in a 16-team league. Four divisions of four teams and looks like we play all the other 15 teams about equally, though I haven't taken the time to confirm that. I assume it will have the same two wild cards with no WC game setup.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
The Hops are a nice team. I was surprised when I seen your name and it was not GOT abbreviation.
There were two teams with name Hillsboro Hops in my league last year, but the second one not as formidable. I'm guessing same account and family member or second team.

The GoT team is my first team with the most $ invested, but this Angels team is closer to my heart.

Despite spending less money, it has done better. Two early lucky pulls were 98 Lajoie and Future Legend Guerrero.

It has always had the self-imposed restriction of a roster with a majority of at least 13 Angel-connected players (played for Angels or a relative did or drafted by Angels, etc.)

At first they were called the American Angels and the remaining 12 players had to be American born. That turned out to make them more competitive than I originally expected, because I hadn't realized the dominance of historic cards that are nearly all US-born, unlike MLB today.

So after the American Angels won a Perfect Series championship in 2029, I decided to make the challenge harder. I decided that now the remaining 12 on the roster have to have been born in or played baseball on a California based team, whether HS, college, minors or majors.

Nap Lajoie was the last player to go, and that was tough!

But under my new restrictions my team is nearly as good as it can be. The only obvious improvements are improving some of my starters to their better cards (can I pull a Perfect Pedro?) or getting the 96 Kershaw off the AH. A few other California-connected improvements might be possible.

The last Angel-connected improvement that I'm aware of and looking to acquire is the 95 Lee Smith. But only time I saw it, it was out of my price range.

This team will always have defensive and pitching issues and minus Lajoie needs a bit of placement luck to win a division, but still hoping for a lucky run to win a Perfect League as the Californian Angels, not the American Angels.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
Kushiel
All Star Starter

You play well from my experience. It would not surprise me for you to win.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks.

Same right back at you.

And our Czech friend was off to a blistering 10-1 start!

Then at 11-2 he ran into the aforementioned Everett Aqua Sox.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:10 PM   #14
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

By the way guys, I've been craving being in a league with more forum activity, or even just a couple other owners, like this one! So thanks for starting this thread Kushiel. I think when PT20 begins, if I will look for forum friends to build friends list leagues with. I enjoy reading the threads I've seen, but I wasn't really interested in being in a cap league and the theme league was below the level of my theme franchise.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to be here much at all this week, as I have a very good friend visiting from out of town beginning tomorrow. Sadly, he's not a baseball fan. But it's been a few years since our last brief visit on his home turf, so it will be a good week of catching up on each other's lives.

However, he will be doing a few things on his own while here, so I'll try to touch base once or twice.

Again, good luck!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:11 AM   #15
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002halos View Post
Thanks.

Same right back at you.

And our Czech friend was off to a blistering 10-1 start!

Then at 11-2 he ran into the aforementioned Everett Aqua Sox.
I went to bed 11-2 and wake up 15-12. Still, it´s more wins than I was expecting for the season.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #16
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Have a good visit with your friend. That is important time. My oldest friend and I have known each other since 1957 when we were classic 50's school boys with cuffed blue jeans and black Keds high tops.

I enjoy having these snippets of conversation on the forums with the people I am in leagues with as well discussing the season. I also cannot play with a cap. I like the people in that league but I want to compete against the best teams week end and week out. The cap league has some excellent managers that I respect but so do the random draws. The cap league is not the best teams, card wise, nor can they be, It would be fun to win there with them. But to me, the achievement of earning a WS crown against some 100+ point teams is more satisfying. it also allows me to think I belong in the best of the best.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #17
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Well I see we are all muddling along. Angels, too bad you aren´t in my division, you´d be in first!

I just shook up my lineup, so watch out!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #18
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I don't know what it is lately but the past 3 seasons before this one I have hung around .500 to 3-4 games over for the first two months and then exploded. The slow starts are OK I guess... as long as we have those hot finishes.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #19
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
I don't know what it is lately but the past 3 seasons before this one I have hung around .500 to 3-4 games over for the first two months and then exploded. The slow starts are OK I guess... as long as we have those hot finishes.
Lately I´ve been around .500 most of the season except for one random month when I go crazy and can´t lose. Then follows a losing streak, of course.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #20
Kushiel
All Star Starter

My Yaks seemed to snap out of their doldrums and ended May with a 13 game winning streak. So instead of looking like a Chihuahua nipping at the heels of an elephant, we are more like a great white shark looking for meat. LOL

At least we are winning now though!