Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2018 > MLBM 2018 - General Discussions

MLBM 2018 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2018, the baseball management game for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
Edster007
All Star Starter

How do you play?

Just curious how others play. We post questions, comments etc but really what do you get yourself into?

I try to do something different with each new release. Last year was the first I played entirely fictional. For this season I am taking control of the 1984 Chicago Cubs. For the 84 season I am going to follow actual team transactions (not lineups, I like to mange each game myself) to see if I can get them to the World Series. After 84 I am going to be GM and Manager up through this season. My hope is to win in 84, but at the very least 4 or 5 times before 2016 so Marty McFly has to jump in his Delorean and change the line in the movie.

I chose this for two reasons. The first- I became a Cub fan as kid in 82 ( I live in NY) because they were on in the afternoon cable just added WGN and it was baseball and I loved it. 1984 was a great year to be a Cub fan (until Leon Durham's error in game 5 of the NLCS). I went to baseball camp that summer and got home around 3pm, usually sometime during the 2nd inning of Cub home games and watched them all. The second, and it sticks with me more than the actual Cubs losing is I did this replay years ago on APBA's computer baseball and as crazy as it sounds it still eats at me. I made it to the World Series, took on the Tigers and at the time was posting game recaps on APBA's forum from opening day on. I had the Cubs up 3-1 in the WS but the Tigers got it to game 7. I had Rick Sutcliffe on the mound in game 7 and was cruising with a 3-0 heading to the 9th. A walk, a 2 run homer, a pitching change, a double, a run scoring single followed by a triple all with two outs and the Series was gone. I posted a 171 game recaps with several people following and commenting throughout. I never posted a game 7 recap, nobody on the board ever asked-they knew, it was the Cubs.

I need to try and get the taste out of my mouth. My journey starts tomorrow with Scott Sanderson on the mound as the Cubs open with a 2 game set in San Fran.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Panchobamba
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for this post, Edster.
Despite the yearly ruckus after each new release, we keep playing and I was wondering how others play, the same as you were.
This year I'm going to play out each inning of the Phillies season without making any roster changes until the draft, then reappraise. I may continue to play out 3 or4 seasons.

Last edited by Panchobamba; 03-31-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Clarification
Panchobamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
curtneedsaride
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'll be playing through a season as the Tigers, another as the Rangers, and possibly as the 80's/90's Tigers (from my childhood). Personally, I'd like to take one of them to the World Series, so I was hoping the save system would have been improved. I was hoping again that we might get a save system much like the Football Manager Mobile handheld series. With FMM you can begin a career, it will auto save to two different save slots at moments after matches. THEN on top of that, and separate from those, there are FOUR save slots where you can make manual saves at any point outside of matches on any career. So, that same career could have four different saves (one from early in the season, another more recent, one before a pivotal match, etc.). And FMM also has four iCloud saves which can be easily uploaded and downloaded between multiple iOS devices. With a save system like that, I could use my short gaming time and make sure I make it to the WS with one of those careers I want to play. Unfortunately, with the current system, manual and auto saves seem to work the same. I don't understand the difference between closing the app and having it auto save after my last game, and manually saving after the last game since it happens on the same file. It would nice if we had even one save slot that could be fully manual and allow us to reload it no matter how much further we've played on the auto save slot. Right now both save to the same "slot" it seems. So, to play like I want to play, the save system needs a bit of updating.

Last edited by curtneedsaride; 04-06-2017 at 09:03 AM.
curtneedsaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
wodi
All Star Reserve

I start with the orioles, usually, after about 15 seasons I change teams because I can't win the World Series, and eventually win it with another team, probably within 5 seasons.

Unfortunately, because this game is the same as last years which is the same as the year before, I envision me running into the same problem, I'm already in year 3 and it feels like I'm playing th same thing.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Russ1409
Bat Boy

I just bought the game, so I have nothing to complain about. I GM'd a quick season to get the hang of it, and now I've started with the 2012 Reds to see how I do with the ability to trade, release, and sign my own players. Plan on doing 10 years. I usually play all the games manually for a while, then when I get bored I play one game per series, at least that's what I did with Strat-o-matic. Still getting a handle on the settings and especially the face gen and pictures in OOTP.

So far, loving the game.
Russ1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ1409 View Post
I just bought the game, so I have nothing to complain about. I GM'd a quick season to get the hang of it, and now I've started with the 2012 Reds to see how I do with the ability to trade, release, and sign my own players. Plan on doing 10 years. I usually play all the games manually for a while, then when I get bored I play one game per series, at least that's what I did with Strat-o-matic. Still getting a handle on the settings and especially the face gen and pictures in OOTP.

So far, loving the game.

If this is your first experience you will love the game.

Don't let my or others negative comments cast doubt on the game.

It's absoulty amazing and fun, some of us are just ready for it to go to the next level.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi View Post
I start with the orioles, usually, after about 15 seasons I change teams because I can't win the World Series, and eventually win it with another team, probably within 5 seasons.

Unfortunately, because this game is the same as last years which is the same as the year before, I envision me running into the same problem, I'm already in year 3 and it feels like I'm playing th same thing.

That's why I am doing something different. After my original post I think I am going to replay a team that fell short or just a good race- just a single season and follow their trades to see if I can come up with a better result.

The hardest part is not making a deal. The Cubs in 84 had only one left handed pitcher the entire season-starter Steve Trout. I have plenty of righty arms to make a deal with but can't. I am currently 2.5 games behind the Cubs actual record after an awful start.

I'm looking at teams in the NL East in 1973 the Mets won the division with 82 wins. May see what I can do with the Pirates who were 80-82 or the Expos that had 79 wins.

Eventually I will just pick one of these and play them into the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
Edster007
All Star Starter

Well I did take the 84 Cubs to the World Series. I held a 3 games to 2 lead against the Tigers and had Dennis Eckersley who had pitched great for me since I acquired from the Red Sox in May. He didn't make it out of the first inning and I lost game 6 9-0. In game 7 Lance Parrish broke a 1-1 tie with a two run HR in the bottom of the 7th and I lost game 7 3-1. So that's two times I've tried this and 2 times I lost game 7 to the Tigers.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
markvacc1
Minors (Single A)

I am playing as Rangers starting in 1980 as Manager only. I'm playing with possibility of being fired to see if I can manage another team. My GM and owner have been pretty lenient as I have suffered with two last place finishes. I'm in 1985 and fighting for 1st place with Angels and Royals. Tied with Angels and 2 games ahead of Royals. I play to at least the trade deadline.
markvacc1 is offline   Reply With Quote