Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Hertston
Major Leagues

A few questions on pitchers..

Hi folks. Could anyone possibly help me on these?

1. What is the difference in-game between setting a pitcher's position as a closer, or as a reliever? Am I right in assuming it's just a convenient label to use once you have assigned a role based on their stats, with no effect on them itself?

2. What's the difference between primary roles of 'stopper' and 'setup'? I've looked this up, but it seems the former is just a largely historical synonym of the latter(?) Is there any difference in-game?

3. As a result of my whole team being pre-1950, I have no closers or relievers to worry about, the one or two I've spotted being low value cards, and all my pitchers are 'officially' starters. Is my observation correct that while the stamina remains unchanged with change of role, the boost in stuff is compensated for by pitchers tiring more quickly?

4. Not of direct relevance to me, but why is the stamina of most/all identified relievers so nerfed compared to starters? If my assumption in '3' is correct, why is this necessary? Surely this just prohibits movement of even established bullpen pitchers to starters, when in RL this would happen on occasion? Forgive any cross-Pond ignorance, here.

5. I appreciate this is a difficult one... what factors does the AI 'manager' consider and what algorithms (in simple terms) does it use in choosing and pulling pitchers?

Many thanks.

Last edited by Hertston; 10-17-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Hertston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

Stoppers (also called firemen) usually come in when multiple runners are already on base and the score is close, both leading and trailing.

David Robertson in his 2nd stint with the Yankees would be the perfect stopper example.

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

1. Correct, no difference. Convenient for you to look at if you like, but doesn't matter.
2. Stopper as mentioned is more like the fireman. They're more like a multi-inning closer than a setup man. Generally speaking, if you bring in a stopper (or a closer), they're there until their arm falls off or they blow it.
3. Correct. A Starter can go 100-120 or more pitches, but with lower stuff, whereas anyone coming in relief will tire much sooner. Of note, it's the role they enter as, not what they are set as.
4. Mostly it's to prevent relievers from being able to start. In perfect team, since we only tend to take a one-year snapshot of a player, their stamina is just based on how they were used that year
5. Obviously too many to list But simply, pitchers will be pulled when they get tired, or if they are very ineffective, or if it's time to bring in a "better" pitcher (ie.maybe you bring in a LOOGY to get a lefty out, or it's time for your setup/stopper/closer). Long relievers tend to come in either early in the game (if your starter left for some reason), or if the game is out of reach.

And between everything, there's a ton of logic and decision making. For example, starters working on a shutout will tend to "push" themselves a little more to finish off the game. And obviously your strategy settings will come into play - if you are set to "favor L/R" matchups, then you're going to be more likely to swap out pitchers to get a platoon edge.

Best of luck!
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
bailey
Hall Of Famer

You can do quite well with a 4-man starting rotation, limiting them to 50 pitches and playing with a red-lined bullpen like this:
Attached Images
Image Image 
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote