Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
markprior22
All Star Starter

League Modifiers

I probably should know how this works but I don't. I noticed when setting up a league, some settings were very low (i.e. fielding-line drive double plays was at .150).

I'm setting this league up with 2019 for the historical year setting. This will be a major league setup with full minors and a few foreign leagues but will use all fictional players.. Should I just roll with those settings? What would the effect on my league be if I changed everything to 1? I don't want to change one area and have it screw up another.

Are these settings based on the import year I chose? Guess I'm confused as to why some settings are extremely low. Are line drive double plays that rare these days? Outfield assists (set at .300 I believe)?

Just looking for some general advice before I kick off this league.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 PM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I probably should know how this works but I don't. I noticed when setting up a league, some settings were very low (i.e. fielding-line drive double plays was at .150).

I'm setting this league up with 2019 for the historical year setting. This will be a major league setup with full minors and a few foreign leagues but will use all fictional players.. Should I just roll with those settings? What would the effect on my league be if I changed everything to 1? I don't want to change one area and have it screw up another.

Are these settings based on the import year I chose? Guess I'm confused as to why some settings are extremely low. Are line drive double plays that rare these days? Outfield assists (set at .300 I believe)?

Just looking for some general advice before I kick off this league.
Not sure how to get what you want. If you want something that resembles the ridiculous offensive era we're currently in, you could import the 2018 stats output. I do this with 1984 for every season, as I'm neither a fan of deadball nor superball. I prefer a happy medium thanks. The way I do it, is to select "1984" in the "Totals from year" box under the League Totals heading on the Stats & AI page. I do this selection the day before opening day, and it works a treat. You could also use 2000 if you want extreme offense.

2000 MLB Averages: .270/.345/.437/.782, 5.14 R/G, 1.17 HR/G, 3.75 BB/G, 6.45 K/G

2019 MLB Averages: .252/.323/.435/.758, 4.83 R/G, 1.39 HR/G, 3.27 BB/G, 8.81 K/G

So, higher BA/OBP/SLG/OPS, more R/G, fewer HR, more BB, and waaay fewer K. Importing the year means you get good results without having to fiddle around with LTMs. It's up to you though. Let me know if you want to try this, and I can explain it a little better.

You could also go to this page, and figure out a season that makes sense for you, or you can fiddle around with LTMs. I've never bothered with LTMs because I'd have no idea what I'm doing, and would probably mess up my stats output, which would really piss me off.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
markprior22
All Star Starter

Appreciate the response. I think you're probably right as far as messing with LTMs. I'm going to leave them be.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
thehatfield
All Star Starter

Speaking of league modifiers, I've been attempting to run a random-debut historical sim starting in 1901 with Japan and Holland as other major leagues. No matter what I seem to do, when major leaguers go to Japan or Holland they are supermen. Is it just too early to add in other majors?
Attached Images

SBC - Western Suburbs Magpies

no pressure no problem

thehatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you can easily adjust using the modifiers after any import of preferred year.

changing 1 at a time is easy and predictable. since they are all part of the same whole, as you change 1, others shift about to maintain balance (in reference to some infinite sample average). so, if you change a current value of an LTM by +10%, that will result in roughly a 10% increase. Some small # stats may not be as resoved. e.g. you can't change balks by ~1 balk at a time... more like 30-50 chunks at a time and all the .001s in between those chunks don't do a thing.

e.g. you increase HR, that reduces balls in play of what's a 'hit', which would likely reduce babip too, since a hr is the same category as a generic 'hit' of any sort before broken down into 1b,2b, etc in proper proportions relative to modiferis and totals. therefore you increase hr, you also reduce 1b, 2b, 3b a fraction, since hr are a small # out of 165k+. now, if you change singles by a couple thousand, you may need to consider ramification to maintain status quo on other offensive stats.

changing multiple LTM gets hairy to predict. if you are trying to be precise in any way, take it slowly.

you may want to autocalculate your modifiers every 5-10 years? or, just let it go all over the place relative to who is randomly introduced. if not 'cnetered' well to start, that may not work out well.. whatever center is in that type of random debut leauge, i have no experience.

if you do make adjustments over time, and you do autocalculate again, re-apply those same adjustments as before... e.g. if you reduce hr by 5% and increase 2b by 10% after importing the first time, do that again after any autocaclulate. The results will almost be guaranteed to be similar in effect.

purp c:

could be more than one cause of that outcome, so more info needed.

either they are playing against inferior talent, the league's "Stats and AI" modifiers are not callibrated well, or a combination of both.

'autocalculate' the modifiers for that league before its season starts... take a peek at 'list all players' in that league.

if you are looking for equal leagues, make sure the PCMs for all equal leagues are 1.000 (the same as mlb), otherwise, they won't be any good. if they have a mil system, may need to mimic mlb too, again, if oyu want an equal level league. you could make it a bit lesser and also make the mlb players a bit less god-like too. lots of choices.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-08-2019 at 11:02 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
thehatfield
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
purp c:

could be more than one cause of that outcome, so more info needed.

either they are playing against inferior talent, the league's "Stats and AI" modifiers are not callibrated well, or a combination of both.

'autocalculate' the modifiers for that league before its season starts... take a peek at 'list all players' in that league.

if you are looking for equal leagues, make sure the PCMs for all equal leagues are 1.000 (the same as mlb), otherwise, they won't be any good. if they have a mil system, may need to mimic mlb too, again, if oyu want an equal level league. you could make it a bit lesser and also make the mlb players a bit less god-like too. lots of choices.
Thanks for this. Will poke around some more tonight and see if I can get what I was hoping for. Basically I was trying to achieve a couple of "retirement" major leagues for old stars.

SBC - Western Suburbs Magpies

no pressure no problem

Last edited by thehatfield; 10-09-2019 at 11:11 AM.
thehatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #7
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
The way I do it, is to select "1984" in the "Totals from year" box under the League Totals heading on the Stats & AI page. I do this selection the day before opening day, and it works a treat.
I've been doing this for years ever since you first discussed it. It works perfect and I can't thank you enough!
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
I've been doing this for years ever since you first discussed it. It works perfect and I can't thank you enough!
It's awesome ain't it? No deadball...No steroid ball...No .300 league average 1930s ball...No deadball v2.0...No launch angle era...Just baseball as (I think) it was meant to be. 40 HR is actually an achievement instead of an above average season. Just my preference of course.

Just out of curiousity, what year do you use? I had to move to 1992 last year because I found 1984 a bit hot in OOTP19. Then I discovered the other day that the 1984 settings import with a .289 BABIP, rather than the actual .286 that happened. Doesn't sound like much, but it could explain the difference that I was seeing. Just got the game, so I'm looking forward to finding out.

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Old 10-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
Love, love, love the Raines avatar by the way. Now let's get Larry Walker in, even if he goes in as a Rockie.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
It's awesome ain't it? No deadball...No steroid ball...No .300 league average 1930s ball...No deadball v2.0...No launch angle era...Just baseball as (I think) it was meant to be. 40 HR is actually an achievement instead of an above average season. Just my preference of course.

Just out of curiousity, what year do you use? I had to move to 1992 last year because I found 1984 a bit hot in OOTP19. Then I discovered the other day that the 1984 settings import with a .289 BABIP, rather than the actual .286 that happened. Doesn't sound like much, but it could explain the difference that I was seeing. Just got the game, so I'm looking forward to finding out.
I use 1970, found it to have a good balance. I play a 24-team fictional league so I restricted myself to stats from a 24-team MLB (1969-76). I like having the ability to easily compare my league stats to real-world.

Last edited by MBarrett; 10-10-2019 at 12:22 PM.
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
Anyone
Major Leagues

I like the balance in the early/mid '90's. Anything before that seems outdated, with so few HR's and K's compared to what I'm used to seeing in real life; but we hadn't reached the real extremes that hurt current baseball so much yet.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

devil's advocate --

are these preferred time periods when you most watch baseball or learned to enjoy watching baseball? etc etc...

i'm still stuck on the older, more patient approach to AB. i hate 40k SO/year to get a handful more home runs and a heck of a lot fewer balls in play. it's all because of what i learned to be "normal" when i began caring more and paying attention more to the intricacies of the game.

4-year old me couldn't figure out why they didn't swing more often... now, i can't stand that these unsophisticated 4-year-old like players swing at everything under the sun. it's so volatile and more about random luck now than strategy or sophisticated approaches.

the ones that still do this are typicalyl the best players if they have a modicum of talent. the best players that don't do this typically flare out, once the league finds their weakness and their sophistication doesn't go beyond a 2-step approach.

speaking of demographics, so these arent' absolute or even permeating problems, but they are significant and noticeably worse than in the past.

on the other side, player are much stronger, now. they've improved in other areas too. they simply are less evolved when it comes to how they approach a PA. i think the data mining going on now will help. scouting reports on opposing pitchers are improving and more reliable.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #13
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
devil's advocate --

are these preferred time periods when you most watch baseball or learned to enjoy watching baseball? etc etc...

i'm still stuck on the older, more patient approach to AB. i hate 40k SO/year to get a handful more home runs and a heck of a lot fewer balls in play. it's all because of what i learned to be "normal" when i began caring more and paying attention more to the intricacies of the game.

4-year old me couldn't figure out why they didn't swing more often... now, i can't stand that these unsophisticated 4-year-old like players swing at everything under the sun. it's so volatile and more about random luck now than strategy or sophisticated approaches.

the ones that still do this are typicalyl the best players if they have a modicum of talent. the best players that don't do this typically flare out, once the league finds their weakness and their sophistication doesn't go beyond a 2-step approach.

speaking of demographics, so these arent' absolute or even permeating problems, but they are significant and noticeably worse than in the past.

on the other side, player are much stronger, now. they've improved in other areas too. they simply are less evolved when it comes to how they approach a PA. i think the data mining going on now will help. scouting reports on opposing pitchers are improving and more reliable.
If you're asking how I chose the year I chose, I definitely looked back on childhood, and then honed in on what season the league wide stats fell into what I considered an acceptable range. I mean, look at the differences between 1984 and this year:

1984: 4.26 R/G, 239.0 2B/team, 37.9 3B/team, 125.3 HR/team, 116.6 SB/team, 58.1 CS/team, 66.7 SB%, 3.81 ERA, 3.81 FIP, 1.34 WHIP, 8.9 H/9, 0.8 HR/9, 3.2 BB/9, 8.3 BB%, 5.4 K/9, 14.0 K%, .125 ISO, .286 BABIP, .260/.323/.385/.708

2019: 4.83 R/G, 284.4 2B/team, 26.2 3B/team, 225.9 HR/team, 76.0 SB/team, 27.7 CS/team, 73.3 SB%, 4.49 ERA, 4.50 FIP, 1.33 WHIP, 8.7 H/9, 1.4 HR/9, 3.3 BB/9, 8.5 BB%, 8.9 K/9, 23.0 K%, .183 ISO, .298 BABIP, .252/.323/.435/.758

But, there's not a problem with the ball is there Mr. Manfred? It's not all the ball of course. It's a different approach to hitting altogether. The power difference between the two is ridiculous, as is the strikeout rate. HR rates and SB rates are extremely close together in 1984. Not so much in 2019. I don't like the SB% difference, but if that's all I've gotta sacrifice in order to get league wide numbers that I find more "baseballish", then so be it. If this wasn't the question you were asking, could you rephrase it for me?

Old 10-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

You could get those SB-SB% where you wanted with a few adjustments. that stuff doesn't muck up many other things, if any. it might step up, then back down in some situations as you raise sb-attempts and fiddle with sb-success. it's not 100% continuous and upward slant on curve (as you change those 2 specific ltm, especially at the same time) year to year ootp SB-att are really volatile too, more so than other stats, in my experience.

1987 and 1988 were similar to steroid years.. . hmmm..

either ball changes or steroids.. i default ot steroids, lol.

i think i was wrong about the recent jump.. i figured it was a new designer roid that can beat the current tests (rinse, repeat every 5-10 years, lately).. but, maybe it is the ball?

i think both are plausible. an effort to combat the loss of sophistication of the average batter's approach. i.e. fewer see the benefits of a 2-strike swing, therefore they do it less often, if at all.

fwiw, i think the great players (talent + consistent results) do this stuff naturally, regardless of time period. Even the super-talented get extra volatile with a dum-dum approach, but if they do it consistently, they likely have a good approach on top of super-human hand-eye coordination.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-15-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You could get those SB-SB% where you wanted with a few adjustments. that stuff doesn't muck up many other things, if any. it might step up, then back down in some situations as you raise sb-attempts and fiddle with sb-success. it's not 100% continuous and upward slant on curve (as you change those 2 specific ltm, especially at the same time) year to year ootp SB-att are really volatile too, more so than other stats, in my experience.

1987 and 1988 were similar to steroid years.. . hmmm..

either ball changes or steroids.. i default ot steroids, lol.

i think i was wrong about the recent jump.. i figured it was a new designer roid that can beat the current tests (rinse, repeat every 5-10 years, lately).. but, maybe it is the ball?

i think both are plausible. an effort to combat the loss of sophistication of the average batter's approach. i.e. fewer see the benefits of a 2-strike swing, therefore they do it less often, if at all.

fwiw, i think the great players (talent + consistent results) do this stuff naturally, regardless of time period. Even the super-talented get extra volatile with a dum-dum approach, but if they do it consistently, they likely have a good approach on top of super-human hand-eye coordination.
With LTMs, K.I.S.S. is probably the best policy for me. LOL

Old 10-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #16
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

Just throwing in my 2 cents - I've been using the stock *** settings with a few small tweaks (5-Man Rotation instead of 6, Sac Bunts were way too high as was bunting frequency, ) and have been happy with the results...

example output:

2075: 4.6 R/G, .264/.332/.395/.727. 0.85 HR/G, 3.19 BB/G, 7.5 K/G

I quite like it - plenty of doubles, fun base running, solid fielding - fun style of baseball with good stats output.

52 HRs is the highest single-season total, 20 win seasons were a little too common but I haven't had one in a few seasons...

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:50 AM   #17
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauwoo View Post
Just throwing in my 2 cents - I've been using the stock *** settings with a few small tweaks (5-Man Rotation instead of 6, Sac Bunts were way too high as was bunting frequency, ) and have been happy with the results...

example output:

2075: 4.6 R/G, .264/.332/.395/.727. 0.85 HR/G, 3.19 BB/G, 7.5 K/G

I quite like it - plenty of doubles, fun base running, solid fielding - fun style of baseball with good stats output.

52 HRs is the highest single-season total, 20 win seasons were a little too common but I haven't had one in a few seasons...
Had two .400 hitters in my 63-season Historical RD in OOTP16 using my stats output tweaks. Shoeless Joe did it in back-to-back years (.434 and .403). Never had a .500 OBP guy. Mantle (.496), Shoeless (.491), Mantle again (.490), and Teddy Ballgame (.488) got close. Mantle was the only player to eclipse .700 SLG (.758). Two 1.150 OPS and up...Mantle (1.248), and Shoeless (1.155).

Mantle also got the closest to 150 R, with 149, while Tris Speaker and Mike Schmidt had 147 and 146 respectively. Shoeless was the only player with a 250+ H season at 263. There were nine 50+ HR hitters: Mantle (63), Reggie Smith (53), Mark McGwire (53), Mike Schmidt (52), Dave Kingman (51), Mark McGwire (51), Rocky Colavito (51), Mickey Mantle (51), and Frank Howard (50). Six 150+ RBI seasons: Mantle (161), Mantle (153), Buck J Freeman (151), Frank Howard (151), Jackie Warner (151), and Chuck Klein (151). Five 100+ SB seasons: Bob Bescher and Harry Pattee (108), Fritz Maisel (107), Josh Devore (103), and Bob Bescher (102). One hitter struck out 200+ times: Jackie Warner (201).

Mickey Mantle had a ridiculous 1933 season at age 24. 149 R, 229 H, 63 HR, 161 RBI, 122 BB, 95 K, .387/.490/.758/1.248, 244 OPS+, 236 wRC+, 16.1 WAR, 10.6 WPA. Only hit into 17 ground ball double plays, and even went 8 for 10 in steals. Obviously, this was an extreme, extreme, extreme outlier though.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #18
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

How's your stats output going markprior22?