Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #81
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudster View Post
As a player who has put more money into buying the game itself than I've put into PT, I don't understand the dislike that the whales are getting. They keep the ball rolling for OOTP Developments. We FTP guys do very little for them in comparison. That being said, we all have our roles to keep the in game economy rolling. For the FTP people, don't say we have no chance against these guys....in PT19, I just won my first Perfect League championship with a FAR inferior lineup to the last two teams I played. It probably falls under the "blind squirrel finds a nut" saying, but that was sweeter than any other championship I had yet to win. This team was a constant losing team and I made one change to them...I added the 64 Aparacio to my roster and starting lineup. A little defense went a long ways.
I believe many uber whales will drop off next version since the peak cards make it too easy for them to win. .

Last edited by daves; 08-15-2019 at 05:05 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #82
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

I don't use the POTM cards, but are they considered OP (overpowered)?

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #83
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I believe many uber whales will drop off next version since the peak cards make it too easy for them to win. .
I have 21 of these cards and if they were so good why am I in 2nd place 9 games behind? My team batting average is less than what it was when it was a F2P team. Even so, I expect to make it all good next Sunday.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #84
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I have 21 of these cards and if they were so good why am I in 2nd place 9 games behind? My team batting average is less than what it was when it was a F2P team. Even so, I expect to make it all good next Sunday.

I am sure you will turn this around. It also depends on what peaks you have! The 20k, 50k, 100k or 300k kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #85
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I don't use the POTM cards, but are they considered OP (overpowered)?

They are overpriced and not subject to the live fluctuations. I consider some peak cards as overpowered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #86
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
I thought PT19 was more difficult in Perfect.

I quite like PT20 although missions were a huge negative for me which is a surprise to me as I was looking forward to them.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:28 AM   #87
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
'Cause there's another team in your division with similar cards?

Either way, 2nd place 9 games behind sure isn't 4th or 5th place as many as 70 GB+, some of the teams in perfect, routinely are 40+ GB by the AS break.

Players that can't afford the steroids cards , I will admit are not so handicapped as that they can't make some adjustments and at least show up for the playoffs and see what happens. And it's good that those cards defenses are more reflective of the player's career average rather than them at their very best everywhere as well...

Then again, it's all good.

It's strange, it seems very difficult to sort of have success & react to it as the success you imagined before you had it...No, instead, we as people tend to have success and then judge any further successes as if the success we've already had is just the way things are everywhere and sort of take for granted that things surely should get better.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #88
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Win more championships. It never gets old.
As a Collingwood supporter, PT championships are the only ones you're going to be seeing for a while!

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #89
JKap
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Good topic.

1. Weekly updates of Live players is a mess. There is way too much fluctuation in ratings from week to week and many of the updates seem random. It would be better to use some type of 3 year moving average pattern of past performance to smooth out the changes. Currently updates for many players often seem to be a random walk.

2.Why are tournaments still listed on the opening screens when they are nowhere in sight? I purchased this game for player updates and tournaments and OOTP has failed in both.

3. Collections are a great concept but poorly executed - many necessary cards are too rare and too expensive. This is primarily due to abysmal pulls in packs.

Perhaps over time, Perfect Team will improve and become enjoyable but in its current state, is nowhere close.

Last edited by JKap; 08-19-2019 at 04:47 PM.
JKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:04 AM   #90
sbrock
Bat Boy

I didn't play version 19 so I can't comment on the differences between 19 and 20. All in all however I like the game and have spent many happy hours with it.
I do have one suggestion I think would make the whole game more competitive, and resolve some other problems as well. (I didn't read this whole thread so if this has already been suggested I apologize.) I think it would make more sense to limit a player to only using players that are at or below the league they are currently in.

So for example, if you are in a silver league, you could only put sliver, bronze, and iron players on your roster. You could still collect higher level players, buy and sell them, just not put them on a silver league roster. The issue of what to do about live players moving from one level to another would have to be addressed, but I don't see that as a show stopper.

This would eliminate the need for automatic promotion/demotion to achieve competitive balance. In stead promotion could be optional if you qualify. If I have a silver team and I want to stay in silver and am happy with that level and don't wish to spend money to purchase high priced players, I could do that.

I think this might create a greater demand for the lower valued players, and also might reduce the demand for the very high valued players.

Just my 2 cents worth.
sbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #91
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrock View Post
I didn't play version 19 so I can't comment on the differences between 19 and 20. All in all however I like the game and have spent many happy hours with it.
I do have one suggestion I think would make the whole game more competitive, and resolve some other problems as well. (I didn't read this whole thread so if this has already been suggested I apologize.) I think it would make more sense to limit a player to only using players that are at or below the league they are currently in.

So for example, if you are in a silver league, you could only put sliver, bronze, and iron players on your roster. You could still collect higher level players, buy and sell them, just not put them on a silver league roster. The issue of what to do about live players moving from one level to another would have to be addressed, but I don't see that as a show stopper.

This would eliminate the need for automatic promotion/demotion to achieve competitive balance. In stead promotion could be optional if you qualify. If I have a silver team and I want to stay in silver and am happy with that level and don't wish to spend money to purchase high priced players, I could do that.

I think this might create a greater demand for the lower valued players, and also might reduce the demand for the very high valued players.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It is an interesting idea. Problem is, after opening you starter packs you likely couldn't field an iron team.

I suppose they could fix it so you got a full team of irons to start. That actually does sound kind of fun but it would eat into the revenue

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #92
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrock View Post
This would be a great idea if Perfect Team was designed to sell a one-time license purchase. Alas, that is not the case. PT is designed to generate revenue from in-app purchases.

Players naturally want to win. When they achieve, they are promoted to a harder level. They can either grind points through achievements or speed up the process of becoming competitive at the new level via in-app purchases. They get better, get promoted, and the cycle of spending repeats. Allowing players to choose to remain at a level where they are competitive would not provide incentive to spend money, and thus is a bad business model.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #93
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

One technicality that I've seen in multiple threads that kind of bugs my OCD is the concept of grinding. There is no way to grind anything for points in this game. Achievements occur based upon random in game events we do not control. Flipping cards in the Auction House probably comes closest to the definition of grinding, except that there are no guarantees of profitability. The amount of time spent does not correlate to any set amount of profit, and you can lose points if you do it wrong enough.

Since there is no way to grind in PT, all we are left to do is allow the time to pass and the games to sim while we try to avoid promotions and pray to the gods of RNG for things like 4 strikeouts in an inning.

This may be a minor point, but I believe it is important to think of this game and its economy in the proper context.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team

Last edited by Dogberry99; 08-20-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #94
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Exactly. "Grinding" is the concept of investing time instead of money. In a typical F2P type game you can put in a bunch of hours and see a linear relationship between time played and currency earned (usually up to some cap). It is how F2P players can make up ground. That doesn't exist in ootp, everyone gets the same number of games and the whales are the ones earning the most free points unless you are sandbagging.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #95
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Grinding in PT is waiting. In some games, you can either wait for things to regenerate or speed them up with money. Same concept here.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #96
dbqs
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
One technicality that I've seen in multiple threads that kind of bugs my OCD is the concept of grinding. There is no way to grind anything for points in this game. Achievements occur based upon random in game events we do not control. Flipping cards in the Auction House probably comes closest to the definition of grinding, except that there are no guarantees of profitability. The amount of time spent does not correlate to any set amount of profit, and you can lose points if you do it wrong enough.

Since there is no way to grind in PT, all we are left to do is allow the time to pass and the games to sim while we try to avoid promotions and pray to the gods of RNG for things like 4 strikeouts in an inning.

This may be a minor point, but I believe it is important to think of this game and its economy in the proper context.
You do get packs every once in a while from playing regular OOTP games (non-PT) that kind of fulfills that idea - but as far as I can tell it's just every couple days and triggered by getting an achievement of any sort - I agree that there could be more emphasis on this somehow.

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #97
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post

Decent point but if you "grind" hard enough and have plenty of cards surely you can at least "trim" your collection like unwanted hair strands to whatever you want with PP to show for them & go ahead and maybe add that other card or 5-50 you'd rather have.
One other problem here is you don't want to trim so that you cannot achieve missions and the cards in your collection are not marked mission or not. Even if they were it might be confusing, lol, whether you want the more PP from the auction house they might get or the reward for keeping it and locking up the other cards in the mission.

All in all, you know, play as you please. I don't compare to other games, I just like baseball strategy & cards even if they're digital & baseball and OOTP and online competition enough that it is my game of choice.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #98
JKap
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The idea of grinding and pack rewards would be a good addition. Here are a few grinding suggestions in case anyone from OOTP is reading:

1. Win 75+ games in a season with players from a specific team (e.g. Red Sox) - the team will have to be comprised of players from that team only.

Rewards will increase will the league level so that rewards for completing mission at the Gold league level are better than at Bronze.

2. Same concept but meet a statistical category (e.g. 100 home runs in a season) with players from the same ML team. Or you can do this with outfielders only.

3. Meet a criteria using players that are locked in from the completion of missions.

Last edited by JKap; 08-20-2019 at 06:55 PM.
JKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #99
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKap View Post
The idea of grinding and pack rewards would be a good addition. Here are a few grinding suggestions in case anyone from OOTP is reading:

1. Win 75+ games in a season with players from a specific team (e.g. Red Sox) - the team will have to be comprised of players from that team only.

Rewards will increase will the league level so that rewards for completing mission at the Gold league level are better than at Bronze.

2. Same concept but meet a statistical category (e.g. 100 home runs in a season) with players from the same ML team. Or you can do this with outfielders only.
Contrary perspective: I absolutely do NOT want these things whatsoever. The viability of playing FTP without a ton of grinding is one of the best features of PT and a huge part of the reason I continue to play. If the devs introduce grinding as a replacement for passive PP income from carefully designed team construction, I'm long gone. I can go play Madden or Fifa or Diamond Dynasty or ANY other ultimate team game if I want a mode with a ton of grinding.

EDIT: If people are suggesting throwing in one-time pack rewards for certain specific offline achievements, that doesn't fix the economy problem of scarcity of cards over time. And if people just want more free packs, why not just ask for the challenge mode pack timer to be reduced? It's at least more transparently an ask for free stuff.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks

Last edited by QuantaCondor; 08-20-2019 at 05:57 PM.
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #100
daves
Hall Of Famer

Another plus I didn't mention was having one Reliever filter in the AH as compared to PT1.0 that had reliever and closer as separate categories.