Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #221
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I liked the overall experience of the game ... I remember the previous games were good but OOTP14 takes the next step and I like how a player has to be creative in getting to the top or to stay on top. It is easy to get sucked into this game. When playing as manager you get white hair when team not playing like it should. (just like Sparky Anderson LOL) I love how the game never ends and the only way this game ever ends is the player him/herself ends it. Having 3 different modes in game really adds to the fun (addiction). Is their a cure for this addiction YES and that's by playing the game.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #222
Minors (Double A)

My impression after putting in a ton of hours with OOTP 14 is that it's a little better than OOTP 13, which was a little better than OOTP 12, which was a little better than OOTP 11, etc., back to whatever version it was back in 2001 when I started playing the game.

So while better, it's disappointing after all these years and all these versions, that there's not something more to the game. To be more precise, I don't get any more enjoyment now out of one of my players hitting a walk-off home run now than I did with OOTP 4, or really with any other aspect of the game, such as making a trade, signing a free agent, being in a playoff race, etc. In fact, even though it's so much better now, it was more thrilling back then because it was all new; now I'm kind of blasé about the OOTP improvements, particularly after seeing the advances on the Football Manager series (which I've played ton) and even the Madden and all the Angry Bird-type games (which I've never played).

I think at this point you really have to go to FM-type 3d graphics, which would seem to be relatively easy (i.e., compared to international football, there's not a lot of movement on a baseball field and the player animations would be far more limited; the ball placement is already mapped out; baseball is all about physics really, etc. (admittedly I am ignorant of what it would take to do these things)).

It would be a different direction and require some investment, and obviously is not what everybody wants, but that's just my overall opinion. You've made the game in it's current form about as good as it's ever going to be, "hit the ceiling" as they say. So while it's a great game and there's nothing bad I can say about it that wouldn't be nitpicking, I can't really see upgrading regularly unless there's some kind of significant overhaul. By that I mean significantly more immersive, whether through 3d graphics or some system of advanced news coverage, so that you're not just clicking "finish day" over and over again, looking at stats, and randomly getting a bizarre news story now and then, but rather experiencing the feeling of your players, a fan base, a media, an owner, etc., breathing down your back (or congratulating you) on every decision, and a press that actually writes about the games (this tech can be licensed). I don't know exactly how you accomplish it all, but significantly more immersive is the key in my opinion.
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #223
beatnikpoet13
Minors (Double A)

My impression of OOTP 14 is that I shouldn't have spent my money on it. While I do like some of the updated features, I'm extremely frustrated with some of the bugs, specifically the fact that the game freezes up and I have to Task Manager out of it, not to mention the fact that some team & league logos, ballcaps, and jerseys don't save properly, with some not changing at all despite my best efforts to change them.

Granted, some may consider these problems to be minor, but they've sapped my enjoyment of OOTP 14, which I played for all of 4 hours before I tired of the game freezing up and me constantly needing to change logos around.

Add to that the fact that despite these and other bugs, there hasn't been an update to the game in over a month. Next time I'll just hold on to my money.
beatnikpoet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #224
truebatman
Minors (Double A)

My impression is amazing... I absolutely love this game, easily the greatest sports game I've played in my opinion... I just love the realism... I cant say enough words on how much I enjoy it! I don't even utilize most of the options, I got this game first day, play it often and I'm still only in the first season of the playoffs
truebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #225
Denver1974
Bat Boy

took a while to put my heart behind it since i chose to abandon my 60 year old OOTP 13 league, but after heartache, it is wonderful. Oddly the pitch tracker widget seems to not always be in synch with the play by play? or am i reading the configuration wrong?
Denver1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #226
Reikazawa
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
One thing that still drives me nuts is when doing a player search or similar screens when you switch between season and career the WAR doesn't change. It would be real nice to be able to see the career WAR, which I believe is the only stat that doesn't change.

It would also be nice in batting and pitching reports to see WAR, and in the batting and pitching registers.
I agree with this.
Reikazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #227
Reikazawa
Minors (Triple A)

It would be great to have the draft position in the Personal Details section like the in player pages in Baseball-Reference. Saves the trouble of going to the History tab, which sometimes takes time to load.
Reikazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #228
Rastafreaky
Minors (Double A)

Absolutely love the game. Wish this wouldn't happen though. HUGE signing bonus and then lost to waivers three months later....hmmm.
Attached Images
Rastafreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #229
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

I love it! Maybe it's just because I upgraded all the way from OOTP11, not 13 like many of you, but I'm liking most of the new features. I've even found a way around the logo/uniforms issue that's bugging people - just keep one logo per team at a time in the logos/jerseys/caps folder, move the rest to the miscellaneous folder and switch 'em out when needed. A mild inconvenience at best.

My first season of my St. Louis Browns 1944-? is complete, with the Browns (featuring a color-barrier-breaking Josh Gibson winning the Triple Crown) winning 100 games and winning the Series in 7 over the 106-win Cardinals. Fun all around. And still addictive as all hell.

The freezing is a bit of a pain, though. It mostly comes up for me when a pop-up occurs, like "You've received a personal message" or "Achievement unlocked" or that sort of thing. I've learned to save CONSTANTLY as a result, after losing a bunch of trades the first two times it happened and having to do them again.

Well worth the $20 I paid during the All-Star special. If I'd paid full-price, however, the freezing may have bugged me more than it does now.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #230
Montreal Hitman
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Maybe this has been said before bit did not see it:

I don't understand why a new season starts on March 30th, 1 day before opening day. It does not give us time for spring training or nothing. It should start on March 1st or something....
Montreal Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #231
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafreaky View Post
Absolutely love the game. Wish this wouldn't happen though. HUGE signing bonus and then lost to waivers three months later....hmmm.
Why was this player put on waivers?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #232
Rastafreaky
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Why was this player put on waivers?
No idea as I didn't notice when it happened. Was just checking out the guys history after he won a rookie of the month and noticed.
Rastafreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #233
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

To me this is just absolute faulty AI
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #234
kojakki
Bat Boy

Post your OOTP 14 impressions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
I love it! Maybe it's just because I upgraded all the way from OOTP11, not 13 like many of you, but I'm liking most of the new features. I've even found a way around the logo/uniforms issue that's bugging people - just keep one logo per team at a time in the logos/jerseys/caps folder, move the rest to the miscellaneous folder and switch 'em out when needed. A mild inconvenience at best.

My first season of my St. Louis Browns 1944-? is complete, with the Browns (featuring a color-barrier-breaking Josh Gibson winning the Triple Crown) winning 100 games and winning the Series in 7 over the 106-win Cardinals. Fun all around. And still addictive as all hell.

The freezing is a bit of a pain, though. It mostly comes up for me when a pop-up occurs, like "You've received a personal message" or "Achievement unlocked" or that sort of thing. I've learned to save CONSTANTLY as a result, after losing a bunch of trades the first two times it happened and having to do them again.

Well worth the $20 I paid during the All-Star special. If I'd paid full-price, however, the freezing may have bugged me more than it does now.
When it freezes, press "ESC" button. It opens play menu and message goes away, then you can continue as normal.

As for the game, I just love it. Was new to baseball and the game. After few seasons I'm beginning to understand both....
kojakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #235
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Thanks! I think the latest patch helped with the freezing quite a bit. Also, since the freezing was happening during pop-up messages, I turned off notifications for personal messages and things like that. Last few achievement notices, something else that was occasionally freezing the game, haven't frozen it, so I'm hoping they fixed the problem.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #236
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
I've even found a way around the logo/uniforms issue that's bugging people - just keep one logo per team at a time in the logos/jerseys/caps folder, move the rest to the miscellaneous folder and switch 'em out when needed. A mild inconvenience at best.

While I also love the game, I certainly wouldn't call that a MILD inconvenience as it involves changing that file every time I play.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #237
LeeDorm8185
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Hitman View Post
Maybe this has been said before bit did not see it:

I don't understand why a new season starts on March 30th, 1 day before opening day. It does not give us time for spring training or nothing. It should start on March 1st or something....
I've wondered this too. Not sure but I think it's because people want to start a new game with the most current rosters possible. I understand that, but think a good compromise might be to start with current rosters at the beginning of ST. That would probably upset some of the purists though. At least give us the option of going back a month or so?
LeeDorm8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #238
bleachercreature
Major Leagues

the song remains the same?

Yea!!! There is a button to dump personnel now!!!! Unfortunately, it doesn't work. You release all personnel from their contracts and they just disappear. They don't end up on the available personnel list. The same 434 people that were there before the release of all personnel was implemented are still there. The personnel? Well mister, They just vanish Mr. right into the air.
bleachercreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #239
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

lock toggles on some of the line-up positional toggles to stop the ai randomly changing them when you do wholesale roster/line-up changes would be nice. And maybe some cheap voice talent for play-by-play just to make the in game experience a little more immersive than it is currently. Other than that I am enjoying the game despite knowing almost nothing about baseball before I came to it. You have a fantastic community here which also adds to the appeal. Is there a way to just play though an entire game and watch it without having to skip through individual innings that I am missing? If not there should be.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #240
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
lock toggles on some of the line-up positional toggles to stop the ai randomly changing them when you do wholesale roster/line-up changes would be nice. And maybe some cheap voice talent for play-by-play just to make the in game experience a little more immersive than it is currently. Other than that I am enjoying the game despite knowing almost nothing about baseball before I came to it. You have a fantastic community here which also adds to the appeal. Is there a way to just play though an entire game and watch it without having to skip through individual innings that I am missing? If not there should be.
I strongly disagree with the bolded. Cheap voice talent is worse than no voice talent.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote