Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #221
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Hiring Dusty Baker as manager must be considered punishment, yes?

https://www.mlb.com/news/dusty-baker-astros
The ultimate punishment
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #222
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I guess Jim Crane is looking for a "no BS" guy?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #223
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I guess Jim Crane is looking for a "no BS" guy?
Instead they just got a ‘s’ guy
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #224
low
Hall Of Famer

It's cool. Dusty fits right in. Instead of managing one cheater he now has a full team of them at his disposal.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #225
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Is he there just for a season? Not heard his contract details as of yet.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #226
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

The Astros punishment continues.

Sources: Dusty Baker, Astros reach 2-year deal

Edit: didn't realize this was talked about yesterday

Last edited by Rizon; 01-29-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #227
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

It just astounds me how a mgr who won MOY 3 times, made the postseason 8 times, won the division 5 times, & a pennant once garnishes such criticism from you guys. Astonishing.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #228
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
It just astounds me how a mgr who won MOY 3 times, made the postseason 8 times, won the division 5 times, & a pennant once garnishes such criticism from you guys. Astonishing.
As a Reds fan, I thought Dusty was the perfect fit when he came. I think most of the criticism of Dusty comes from his handling of Sammy Sosa, which was to defer to him completely, no matter how poorly Sammy was doing, and his ineffectiveness in the playoffs.

My take on Dusty is that he is great at managing the team itself, through the long baseball season. His weakness is in-game management, which really comes through in he playoffs.

In July, on a 12 day road trip, he is good at keeping spirits up and keeping the clubhouse from getting poisonous and, in baseball, that is a very important things. Players are semi-cloistered together more in baseball than in most sports and someone who can "manage" that situation can get the best out of a team, especially a team with as many young players as the Reds had during his tenure.

I think if he has a good bench coach who can make the in-game decisions, Dusty can be very effective.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #229
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
As a Reds fan, I thought Dusty was the perfect fit when he came. I think most of the criticism of Dusty comes from his handling of Sammy Sosa, which was to defer to him completely, no matter how poorly Sammy was doing, and his ineffectiveness in the playoffs.

My take on Dusty is that he is great at managing the team itself, through the long baseball season. His weakness is in-game management, which really comes through in he playoffs.

In July, on a 12 day road trip, he is good at keeping spirits up and keeping the clubhouse from getting poisonous and, in baseball, that is a very important things. Players are semi-cloistered together more in baseball than in most sports and someone who can "manage" that situation can get the best out of a team, especially a team with as many young players as the Reds had during his tenure.

I think if he has a good bench coach who can make the in-game decisions, Dusty can be very effective.
This. I'm a Reds fan as well and I really hated to see him go.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:57 AM   #230
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He literally said he doesn't like having too many people on the bases and that home runs are bad because they kill rallies.

Fortunately managers don't really do anything besides communicate between the front office and players then answer the same questions from worthless media types so having an idiot like him doesn't matter all that much.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #231
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
He literally said he doesn't like having too many people on the bases and that home runs are bad because they kill rallies.
He could say base on balls kill puppies if he wins.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #232
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I found this interesting specially about starting pitchers, start of his management career he didnt let starters go too deep compared to other managers. Then innings pitched wise he started to grind his starting pitchers into the ground, which is what I've always gathered from the pros, reporters and fans is the problem with Baker. Be interesting to see how he handles pitchers, specially starting pitchers in the age of pitch counts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ordso-far/amp/
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #233
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
his ineffectiveness in the playoffs.

1 pennant in 22 years of coaching? (see highlighted above). He's also 70 years old.

His management of pitching rotations was god awful. Also, not someone you'd want making difficult on the fly decisions (see highlighted above, where his failures really bite you in the ass). I think you'd expect better from someone who has lived their entire life in baseball.

Make no mistake: the Astros will finish somewhere around 97-65. Dusty could be up for manager of the year again (woohoo!). But he will promptly be trounced 0-3 in the Divisional Round, in typical Dusty fashion. None of those awards can improve his 23-32 playoff record. None of those awards will help Dusty break his 17 year record of not winning a playoff series.

Dusty seems like a good person with a good heart. Players love him. But I'd never want him as a manager (again). Would make a great bench coach, though.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #234
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He could say base on balls kill puppies if he wins.
"He" contributes close to nothing to winning. Possibly even a negative amount. The Astros will be fine because even though they were cheating they still have better players than most everyone else. Just as long as he doesn't call for a bunt every time someone is on base.

Last edited by dkgo; 01-30-2020 at 12:49 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #235
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Baker is a players manager ... not sure if he is the best for the Astro's controversy but the player's will like playing for him . And though he signed for two years look for it to be a one year deal.

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #236
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Article with a link to a site where someone collected some more specific data on how the Astros cheated, along with data on which players used it and how often

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/inside-...155724616.html
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #237
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
1 pennant in 22 years of coaching? (see highlighted above). He's also 70 years old.

His management of pitching rotations was god awful. Also, not someone you'd want making difficult on the fly decisions (see highlighted above, where his failures really bite you in the ass). I think you'd expect better from someone who has lived their entire life in baseball.

Make no mistake: the Astros will finish somewhere around 97-65. Dusty could be up for manager of the year again (woohoo!). But he will promptly be trounced 0-3 in the Divisional Round, in typical Dusty fashion. None of those awards can improve his 23-32 playoff record. None of those awards will help Dusty break his 17 year record of not winning a playoff series.

Dusty seems like a good person with a good heart. Players love him. But I'd never want him as a manager (again). Would make a great bench coach, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
"He" contributes close to nothing to winning. Possibly even a negative amount. The Astros will be fine because even though they were cheating they still have better players than most everyone else. Just as long as he doesn't call for a bunt every time someone is on base.

How many former managers are alive today? How many of them have passed the *snicker* "only one" threshold? But Dusty just lucked himself to 3 MOY awards.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #238
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Why would you be astounded or astonished?

Have you not seen the world at large around you where everything must be caged as good or bad, black or white?

It's worse, of course, in the sports world

Baker, like everyone, has some strengths and weaknesses.

Some will key on the weaknesses and, to them, Baker is a terrible manager
Others will key on his strengths and, to them, he's a great manager

Anything resembling nuance seems to be lost on a large part of the populace these days.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 01-30-2020 at 05:43 PM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:21 PM   #239
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How many former managers are alive today? How many of them have passed the *snicker* "only one" threshold? But Dusty just lucked himself to 3 MOY awards.
Consider what Manager of the Year means then tell me its a big deal.

----------

The Manager of the Year is a Manager who was given superior players by his General Manager and who won a lot of games because he didn't screw the team up with bad in game decisions, bad lineups, bad player evaluations, or by pissing the players off. It helps if those making pre season predictions under estimated the talent of the team and are thus surprised by the performance. The will attribute the better than expected performance to the Manager rather than their own errors.

The Manager of the Year isn't necessarily the Manager of the team which won the most games. The most successful Manager can be ignored for many reasons, including having recently been Manager of the Year, managing a team with a very high payroll, managing a team perceived to win too much, having effective but boring players, or being personally disliked.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:45 AM   #240
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Consider what Manager of the Year means then tell me its a big deal.

----------

The Manager of the Year is a Manager who was given superior players by his General Manager and who won a lot of games because he didn't screw the team up with bad in game decisions, bad lineups, bad player evaluations, or by pissing the players off. It helps if those making pre season predictions under estimated the talent of the team and are thus surprised by the performance. The will attribute the better than expected performance to the Manager rather than their own errors.

The Manager of the Year isn't necessarily the Manager of the team which won the most games. The most successful Manager can be ignored for many reasons, including having recently been Manager of the Year, managing a team with a very high payroll, managing a team perceived to win too much, having effective but boring players, or being personally disliked.
That's not every year and you know it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance