Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:55 AM   #61
steamrollers
Minors (Single A)

Agreed with what a lot of people are saying. Tournaments simply aren't even remotely engaging. Like many others I will check in from time to time and just quickly enter 3 tournaments and then come back later and see how I did and enter more. Even if I win I don't even bother to show minimal interest and look at the tournament tree anymore which was kind of fun for like a week. I do like the fact it is a way to add some packs but for the most part once you find that sweet spot with a roster there is no reason to even make any changes. Of course some people love them and will watch replays or at least check in on stats frequently but overall it's clear the excitement has worn off fast for tournaments.

It is incorrect with the thought that you pay or you lose narrative for gold and silver. Both of those levels are easy to compete in even without spending. My gold team would be considered weak if you just go by rating and value of cards. I don't enter gold often but when I do they compete pretty well. And silver would be easy to field a competitive team that can legitimately win some 32/16 team tourneys within a day and little PP spent. As for cap tourneys and above, yes it gets expensive but even in those I have done well for my limited entries. You would be surprised how often just a solid team can beat Cy and Walter in these tourneys.
steamrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #62
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
This has changed. Devs eliminated some of the non-filling ones. There are more tournaments for cards and packs. I would love to try to match up against your team in a tournament. Comeback?
I just checked on the tournaments for something to do while I wait an hour between playoff games. Nothing has changed.

I only look for open tournaments because the whale-haters don't want me ruining their "limited card" experience with my expensive deck. I don't own any live cards, so those are out too. Here are my options:

The "Sunday Super Open" for the 100 Kershaw did not fill up and was pushed back 24 hours. I would have been interested in that, but it will probably never fire.

There is a half-full quick tournament for 200pp. Really? That's going to attract someone that is playing open tournaments? It's not worth the time to sign up.

The Sunday Historical Medium Cap for two diamond packs did not fill up and was pushed back a day.

The Perfect Monthly Challenge has 16 days to go before it fails to fire.

Nothing else is even half full.

So tell me... how was this situation improved?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #63
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

I have found my niche in gold, diamond, and 1625/1750/1875 cap tourneys. My teams are pretty regularly competitive in these ones. I try to stay in 3 tournaments whenever I am around my cpu.

I don't really pay any heed to the "whales, stay away!" comments. People just get mad when they don't win. If you can't beat me in a gold tourney when neither of us have access to our best cards, then that's on you (the royal you, not any specific you). Not me. I find it funny where whales get blamed for "ruining" regular PT, then ruining open tournaments, and now even with caps and limitations, somehow whales are ruining that, too. Sour grapes is all it is.

I agree with the tournaments "failing to fire" being an issue that needs a solution. I doubt any tournaments need to field 128 teams save for the big monthlies. Cutting back the 128 teamers to 64 and some 64 teamers to 32 should go a long way to solving this issue.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #64
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
I have found my niche in gold, diamond, and 1625/1750/1875 cap tourneys.
We have had some good battles in those cap tournaments

moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #65
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I just checked on the tournaments for something to do while I wait an hour between playoff games. Nothing has changed.

I only look for open tournaments because the whale-haters don't want me ruining their "limited card" experience with my expensive deck. I don't own any live cards, so those are out too. Here are my options:

The "Sunday Super Open" for the 100 Kershaw did not fill up and was pushed back 24 hours. I would have been interested in that, but it will probably never fire.

There is a half-full quick tournament for 200pp. Really? That's going to attract someone that is playing open tournaments? It's not worth the time to sign up.

The Sunday Historical Medium Cap for two diamond packs did not fill up and was pushed back a day.

The Perfect Monthly Challenge has 16 days to go before it fails to fire.

Nothing else is even half full.

So tell me... how was this situation improved?
Why can't you just join the 32 Bo7 and 16 Bo5 opens? Or any of those same formats for literally any other tier. They fill reasonably fast
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #66
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't really pay any heed to the "whales, stay away!" comments. People just get mad when they don't win. If you can't beat me in a gold tourney when neither of us have access to our best cards, then that's on you (the royal you, not any specific you). Not me. I find it funny where whales get blamed for "ruining" regular PT, then ruining open tournaments, and now even with caps and limitations, somehow whales are ruining that, too. Sour grapes is all it is.
Well, if I am playing in open tournaments then I can't be accused of ruining anything for anybody. Yet, someone will probably suggest that anyone who has won an open tournament can't enter those either. I find it ironic that the people crying for "real competition" are the same ones that want all of their competitors eliminated by rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Why can't you just join the 32 Bo7 and 16 Bo5 opens? Or any of those same formats for literally any other tier. They fill reasonably fast
I just did. Neither is half full yet. I like those, but it would be nice to have some of the big prizes actually available instead of just seeing them on a list. Regular packs seem to be all that is available to open players. How about a diamond pack prize for the open tournaments that actually run (such as the 16-Bo5 and 32-Bo7 that you suggested)?
Old 12-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #67
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
How about a diamond pack prize for the open tournaments that actually run (such as the 16-Bo5 and 32-Bo7 that you suggested)?

Believe me, just about everyone who's yet to pull down their perfect [whoever] card is dealing with the feeling that nearly all of the available rewards are inadequate.

But they know their artificial rarity pseudo-economy much better than I do, and I assume at the rate these tourneys fire, ootp just cannot offer substantially more goodies.

You see the brick wall ahead of you, a point beyond which your team simply cannot improve further, right?

How do you expect to remain engaged? That's a serious question. What goals remain?

This came up in endgame raiding quite often. Once you've whupped the Lich King (or whoever), what do you do until the next expansion?

Are there any rewards that would feel satisfying, once you've reached the summit?

Imagine trying to game design for that.

Last edited by Lemandria; 12-15-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #68
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regular packs seem to be all that is available to open players. How about a diamond pack prize for the open tournaments that actually run (such as the 16-Bo5 and 32-Bo7 that you suggested)?
Spare me the diamond pack! If I win one can I trade it in for 15 regular packs? I need quantity if I am ever to get Peak Pedro. There is a gold daily that offers a generous 15 regular pack, but am loathe to invest in more gold cards for fear the tournament will disappear next week or change to something dumb like 1 diamond pack for 1st. There is an open early daily the seems to fill only every other day.

It's not that the rewards are inadequate, it just that sometimes 3rd place reward is better than 2nd place reward. I'm looking at you Daily Super where 2nd prize is a random SE gold card that is often a tough sell at 1500. Contrast this to the Daily Early where 2nd place is 10K.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #69
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

sunday open for 100 kershaw. had like 110/128 needed, then got pushed back an entire day. so of course people drop out and we will repeat tomorrow

absolutely ridiculous. there is zero reason not to extend an hour until it runs
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #70
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
sunday open for 100 kershaw. had like 110/128 needed, then got pushed back an entire day. so of course people drop out and we will repeat tomorrow

If it had been extended an hour, I would have signed up for it.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #71
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Spare me the diamond pack! If I win one can I trade it in for 15 regular packs?
So you would rather have 2 regular packs over a diamond pack? There is no open Bo5 or Bo7 that offers 15 packs.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #72
getalife1798
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

No reason not to have 18 "ghost" teams fill the thing as well.

It's awful that these tournaments have zero chance to fill.

OOTP21

OOTP20

getalife1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #73
getalife1798
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I have found my niche in gold, diamond, and 1625/1750/1875 cap tourneys. My teams are pretty regularly competitive in these ones. I try to stay in 3 tournaments whenever I am around my cpu.
The Frogs took out my Purple Warriors team the other night. I would love to have a rematch

OOTP21

OOTP20

getalife1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #74
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, if I am playing in open tournaments then I can't be accused of ruining anything for anybody. Yet, someone will probably suggest that anyone who has won an open tournament can't enter those either. I find it ironic that the people crying for "real competition" are the same ones that want all of their competitors eliminated by rule.

I

but does it really bother you/do you really care if someone starts to cry about you ruining their experience in the diamond/gold limited tourneys? If the tourney format just isn't that interesting to you, I can understand that... but don't let the complaints/whining of others deter you from playing....

my bunch has done best in the gold level tourneys (lose more than I win, but win enough to get some packs/points for the effort)... make the attempt at the diamond level but end up getting bumped by a lot of the same teams (I'm looking at you Durham El Torros )... but that's just incentive to try and better my squad (though at this point improvements are sloooooow going)

going to give the cap tourneys another shot now and see how I can fair in those (probably about as well I as I do in open or diamond )
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #75
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Yeah, I think it is just sour grapes those that complain about "whales", etc. dominating in cap tournaments and open tournaments. First of all, the open tournaments are there FOR the whales in my opinion (which is why I stay away from those). Cap tournaments are a mixed bag... I play those with my Southpaw team which is an FTP team that has completed some collections that give some really powerful cards (like perfect Ozzie) so you don't HAVE to be a whale to compete in those, as long as you have a few elite players to throw in.

On the other hand, the most popular tournament types are bronze, silver, gold (and then, Iron!) which are ideal for FTP players. Even a player just starting out can invest the four or five thousand PP to field a competitive Bronze team.

I am happy that everybody has a place to go. To me, tournaments are now the most exciting part of the game... one I am still figuring out strategies for.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #76
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
Yeah, I think it is just sour grapes those that complain about "whales", etc. dominating in cap tournaments and open tournaments. First of all, the open tournaments are there FOR the whales in my opinion (which is why I stay away from those). Cap tournaments are a mixed bag... I play those with my Southpaw team which is an FTP team that has completed some collections that give some really powerful cards (like perfect Ozzie) so you don't HAVE to be a whale to compete in those, as long as you have a few elite players to throw in.

On the other hand, the most popular tournament types are bronze, silver, gold (and then, Iron!) which are ideal for FTP players. Even a player just starting out can invest the four or five thousand PP to field a competitive Bronze team.

I am happy that everybody has a place to go. To me, tournaments are now the most exciting part of the game... one I am still figuring out strategies for.
Quite a few battles with the Southpaws. i wonder what our overall H2H is in tourneys.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #77
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macacks View Post
Quite a few battles with the Southpaws. i wonder what our overall H2H is in tourneys.

My Oilers have crossed swords with the Southpaws a lot in capped tournaments and it's been fun.

moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #78
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Yep.

Southpaws. Warbirds. Syrups. Oilers. Cohos. Prairie Dogs. Copper Kings. Generals. Rasslers. Catamounts. These are some of the teams my Frogs regularly battle in my tourneys of choice. With varying degrees of success.

It would be cool to have a h2h ranking system. I don't necessarily need to know all of my players' stats throughout all tournament history. But to be able to say my team has gone X-Y against this other team would be spicy.

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 12-17-2019 at 10:49 PM.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #79
MarkGracesSlumpBuster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Personally, I was turned off a week in when it took so long to go from basic PT mode to tournament mode. It’s like a 2-3 min loading process to go from one to the other.. I think the tournament mode is too broad and not lucrative enough for users. There should far less tournaments/frequency with better rewards.
MarkGracesSlumpBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #80
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep.

Southpaws. Warbirds. Syrups. Oilers. Cohos. Prairie Dogs. Copper Kings. Generals. Rasslers. Catamounts. These are some of the teams my Frogs regularly battle in my tourneys of choice. With varying degrees of success.

It would be cool to have a h2h ranking system. I don't necessarily need to know all of my players' stats throughout all tournament history. But to be able to say my team has gone X-Y against this other team would be spicy.
I agree. Some effort should be made to compile some stats. It's not like the information isn't there, but I think PT20 is quite finished for any upgrades. It's also strange how you can "examine" every tournament after it is over, but not the regular season?! I just also realized that regular postseason is a lot like tournaments: no stats are kept, but training is allowed, meaning there never was an issue about making training work in tournaments.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote