Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 01-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
JakeR514
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Smile Opinion on Trade AI?

I run as a commissioner controlling all 31 teams. As it’s been successful to this point, I wanted to know how realistic the trade ai was. It’d really help. Thanks.
JakeR514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Schifty
Major Leagues

The trade are.... heum, hard in some point Player vs AI.

I know if you receive an offer and try to get more of it, you cant repropose the initial offer, the refuse it all the way, weird but.... anyway

For AI vs AI, basically 3-4th liner and goalie are traded.... and if you want to receive an AI offer, the player must be in the Trading Block or you will never receive anything
Schifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Eugus
Minors (Double A)

The ai does a good job with players that are bottom 6/3rd pairing defense and under. It really hit and miss with the top6/top4 guys because the ai doesn't really know how to trade picks properly(Don't think i've ever seen it trade a 1st.). It's not bad with lower picks and it will sometimes make good use of the 3rd round pick but that's about it. If it does trade a prospect+pick for a player the value is usually off(under value), although it does make some good 1 for 1 trades with prospects, so it's kinda hit and miss again. In my games i just look at the transactions and when I see a 2.5 star player+ traded i check it. Usually have to add a 1st2nd/3rd.

tldr: Ai is good at depth trades but usually not with top6/4. Monitor the trades and find the big ones, use commissioner mode to add picks.

Last edited by Eugus; 01-22-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Eugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
ExeR
Minors (Rookie Ball)

There's a lot of room for making it more sophisticated and better as a result. Easy to be the guy talking and not coding it, but there are practical examples:
1) Trading is sometimes continuation of roster building. AI fails with roster construction first, even with what should be simplest tasks: goalies. Starter, backup, prospect + additional stuff like extra prospects (cause you drafted well f.e.) that you're actively looking to trade or use as sub for starter/backup you trade. I'm at the time (2024 or so) where there's Goalies overload, so everybody should be set and looking for minor change/improvements at most. Instead there are teams with:
a) 16kk invested into goalies (Vasilevsky top rated&on his long contract, still sub gets 7kk deal)
b) Teams with no Goalies and no space (I had to get LAK cheap goalie myself for the second time, only to see them knock me out of playoffs)
c) Teams with terrible balance (two strong goalies, which will lead to overpaying or free agency for nothing gained for those teams)
So this is not good in the first place, and AIs can't untangle it with trades at all.
2) Continuation of "inactivity" from AIs is what fellas before wrote about. TB doesn't help and compared to baseball it seems dead silent. AIs might get big FA, and not inquire you about his buddy for line chemistry from get go. Little stuff like that would be neat, but even more obvious cases of team with weakness or team in do or die spot or even star hunting. You sign top3 players in game, AI never bothers to offer you half the kingdom for them. Then you see team with ton of talent just letting them go, and you can sign them for peanuts. Guy top10 already in defenders ratings and with potential, just goes to FA and I sign him with no competition, even though he himself should've been concerned about playing time. But worst I've seen is I gave Toronto def, constant 80 GR, did same for them. Great value, since he got very good contract. They resigned backup goalie instead and traded him and other elite guy for 3rd round picks. I spent previous offseason babysitting and fixing them and they turned around and f'ed it all up again. Now I can't even fix this mess because no team with goalie need has cap for 3-way trade.
If you're accustomed to run lots of teams, this won't be problem. Just expect the fact that you'll need to help AIs. I just have spreadsheet with CAP and G/Def/Fwd needs and give them favorable deals w/o fleecing them.
ExeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
#4BobbyOrr
Minors (Double A)

Too often are guys signed as UFAs and dealt away during the same offseason. Other than that it’s not terrible - the odd lopsided deal but I play with commissioner mode on and just reverse anything that looks way off.
#4BobbyOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
Archipel
Bat Boy

I think that the AI trade first round draft choices 6 to 10 too easily. Those teams can drop in the standings and the AI should be aware of that.

In my actual game I finished in second position of the standing and as I had traded for first round choices of those 6-10 teams I ended with the first and second overall choices of the draft !

It should be noted that in the NHL the draft choices 1 to 10 of the first round are rarely traded, especially by teams in the bottom half of the standing.

Note however that I still play on FHM 5 and I don't know if this problem has been addressed in FHM 6.
Archipel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:53 PM   #7
#4BobbyOrr
Minors (Double A)

One thing I am noticing more and more is teams who have cap room due to players being on the IR will often trade for high priced guys then when their injured players return have major cap issues and waive a tonne of high salaried players.
#4BobbyOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:30 AM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by #4BobbyOrr View Post
One thing I am noticing more and more is teams who have cap room due to players being on the IR will often trade for high priced guys then when their injured players return have major cap issues and waive a tonne of high salaried players.
Yeah, that's a problem. I think we can adjust the trade AI there.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
KevT90
Minors (Double A)

It'd be nice to be unable to trade away players that are a major financial burden, as in, not being able to trade them as no one would be interested.

This would activate the use of the buyout feature, which is useless because as it is, you can trade away that 2* / 2.5* player with a terrible contract, for a late pick or a useless player with a small contract, where there's no negative effect.

AI should weight the CA and contract (length & cap hit) of a given player more heavily when considering a trade.

Last edited by KevT90; 02-01-2020 at 08:26 PM.
KevT90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
Schifty
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post

might just adding the projected salary cap adding the injuries... prevent AI busting their CAP
Schifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:07 PM   #11
Pacoheadley
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I haven't had a chance to upgrade to FHM 6 yet, but it was also an issue in FHM 5, happening several times a season. I hope this issue gets fixed though, because it's an annoying immersion breaker sometimes.
Pacoheadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #12
Johnny The Hustler
Bat Boy

Well i just had one of my weirdest trade offers lol.
In my rebuilt game with Detroit, i put Trevor Daley on the TB and 2 months later, the Islanders offer Oliver Wahlstrom 1 on 1. If you dont know who he is, 5* potential 19 years old.
Johnny The Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote