Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
Zaun
Bat Boy

$0 Team, $20 Team, $200 Team

Loving PT so far, perfect thing to do on the side while working. Happy to support this first iteration of the game and I'm getting my money's worth of enjoyment.

Wanted to offer some suggestions and share my experiences building three separate teams on three different budgets ($0, 20, 200 as shown in the title). No cheating, no transferring, no shenanigans, just buying packs and working the Auction House like everyone else. This is my first full season with all three teams (started last weekend so didn't get into the first leagues)

I think pack odds are too good. It's way too easy to build a good team even with small investment. I see Diamonds were nerfed to 150:1 in-game, which probably still isn't enough, although I read the forum post saying it was going to be 200:1? That might be more appropriate, but honestly I think it's way more interesting when Diamonds are rare. Many positions there's a "clear" best Diamond (given that non-Live cards are rare) and that's really boring - ie, Jose Ramirez being the only live 2B Diamond, Lindor at SS, Yelich at LF, Judge at RF. Even Golds suffer from that problem - very limited selection at many positions. Even though I'm a "whale" by standards here I would say it'd be more fun if teams were mostly comprised of Silver and lower players, just from the diversity and increased number of decisions.

It's also a shame there are so many cool bronze and silver cards which are going to be quickly outclassed and unused. Such a missed opportunity. I know I read something regarding some event feature in OOTP20 so I guess this year we'll have to deal with this empty unused design space.

We should also be able to see opponents' ballpark factors - and I guess strategically we should all be maxing out our factors offensively because that just yields better PP gain.

PP gain needs to be addressed, as I am gaining ridiculous amounts of PP with my best team and not all that much with my worst team. There needs to be some sort of "catch-up" mechanic otherwise the majority of players are going to be left in the dust. This is also going to have maybe unforeseen effects longer-term on the auction house - especially now that the relative difference between quicksell prices and rarity EV has been slashed like crazy.

$0 Team: 102-60

Name:  pt3.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  249.2 KB

$20 Team: 121-41

Name:  pt2.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  255.7 KB

$200 Team: 145-17

Name:  pt1.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  249.0 KB

If there are any questions or you want to know the stats of some players I'll try to answer

Last edited by Zaun; 11-17-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #2
Clavette
Major Leagues

Is this in rookie league?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Are you Kawhi Leonard? If so, it explains why you have so much money.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Thank you for supporting OOTP. Their budget defines our game

Old 11-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

This is pretty interesting, and it would be great if you could post an update to see how you fare after moving up. I'm impressed that you had the time to do this. Two questions - how much time would you estimate you spend on each team? And what would your estimate be of opening packs vs auction?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Zaun
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
This is pretty interesting, and it would be great if you could post an update to see how you fare after moving up. I'm impressed that you had the time to do this. Two questions - how much time would you estimate you spend on each team? And what would your estimate be of opening packs vs auction?
Your first question - I guess a lot, but I'm a software developer so I've just had it open on another monitor while I check in from time to time while working. Obviously time spent weighted more towards the higher value teams since there isn't much you can do on a F2P account with no capital.

As for pack opening - yeah opening packs was really good, but they've been nerfed several times. They were +EV by a lot, but now, not so much. Hard to tell how good pack value will be on launch,as it's dependent on what the market does, but at the very least, it's really good when your team is **** since you'll get a lot of upgrades. Even if the value isn't great after the odds are tweaked, buying packs early on will help with liquidity problems. Liquidity meaning, if I want to buy player X right now at market price, oftentimes I just can't. So neutral-ish value packs are going to end up better because I can't get players at reasonable prices otherwise. Look to the AH to fill gaps in your roster afterwards.

Last edited by Zaun; 11-17-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
What kinda of league this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaun View Post
Loving PT so far, perfect thing to do on the side while working. Happy to support this first iteration of the game and I'm getting my money's worth of enjoyment.

Wanted to offer some suggestions and share my experiences building three separate teams on three different budgets ($0, 20, 200 as shown in the title). No cheating, no transferring, no shenanigans, just buying packs and working the Auction House like everyone else. This is my first full season with all three teams (started last weekend so didn't get into the first leagues)

I think pack odds are too good. It's way too easy to build a good team even with small investment. I see Diamonds were nerfed to 150:1 in-game, which probably still isn't enough, although I read the forum post saying it was going to be 200:1? That might be more appropriate, but honestly I think it's way more interesting when Diamonds are rare. Many positions there's a "clear" best Diamond (given that non-Live cards are rare) and that's really boring - ie, Jose Ramirez being the only live 2B Diamond, Lindor at SS, Yelich at LF, Judge at RF. Even Golds suffer from that problem - very limited selection at many positions. Even though I'm a "whale" by standards here I would say it'd be more fun if teams were mostly comprised of Silver and lower players, just from the diversity and increased number of decisions.

It's also a shame there are so many cool bronze and silver cards which are going to be quickly outclassed and unused. Such a missed opportunity. I know I read something regarding some event feature in OOTP20 so I guess this year we'll have to deal with this empty unused design space.

We should also be able to see opponents' ballpark factors - and I guess strategically we should all be maxing out our factors offensively because that just yields better PP gain.

PP gain needs to be addressed, as I am gaining ridiculous amounts of PP with my best team and not all that much with my worst team. There needs to be some sort of "catch-up" mechanic otherwise the majority of players are going to be left in the dust. This is also going to have maybe unforeseen effects longer-term on the auction house - especially now that the relative difference between quicksell prices and rarity EV has been slashed like crazy.

$0 Team: 102-60

Attachment 589169

$20 Team: 121-41

Attachment 589168

$200 Team: 145-17

Attachment 589167

If there are any questions or you want to know the stats of some players I'll try to answer

I haven't even seen a 90 card yet. The league I'm in has no where close to being as good as yours. so maybe you need to be in a super league or something but dont spoil it for the rest of us. I've opened many packs that nothing was really usable from what I already had. Ihavent even spent any money so probably why you've opened so many packs to aquire what you have.

Markus & Team...I don't wanna play in a league full of Teoscar Hernandez, Amir Garrets & the such. So let his opinion be his.I know they'll be adjustments but when I have to field a team of 60's thru 40's ....no Thank You...I'll pass

PS. Man I nearly peed myself when I got a A-Rod card after nearly 2 seasons. and a mess of packs....He got almost 10 100's on his team...no Thanks either on being in that league

So far this is greatest thing since sliced bread (well after OOTP was 1st issued)....Kudos to the crew...

Last edited by Bunktown Ballers; 11-17-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #8
beatle
All Star Reserve

Is this game going to be the haves versus the have nots? If so, what is the longevity interest going to be? There is no reinforcement, winning-points, for those who only want to spend a small amount of cash or no money. They have no chance to succeed against people who spend more dollars. It's like the Big market vs small market in MLB.

Beatle
Old 11-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Are you Kawhi Leonard? If so, it explains why you have so much money.
Heh. Now THIS, Orcin, is a high-roller.

- Bru

Old 11-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Heh. Now THIS, Orcin, is a high-roller.
Agreed! I think we have a clear definition now. My best card barely makes the back of his bullpen.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #11
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I agree that seeing opponents ballpark factors is huge, especially since building an odd park and creating a team to win there is one of the more common strategies people use.

And you're spot on about the strategic idea. IMO strategically any season that you're not shooting for a promotion, you should be shooting to exploit the pp distribution mechanic and modifying your ballpark is a good way to do that. I was thinking to modify my park defensively myself, so that I'd get points from pitching performances instead and not burn out my bullpen.

Quote:
Many positions there's a "clear" best Diamond (given that non-Live cards are rare) and that's really boring - ie, Jose Ramirez being the only live 2B Diamond, Lindor at SS, Yelich at LF, Judge at RF. Even Golds suffer from that problem - very limited selection at many positions. Even though I'm a "whale" by standards here I would say it'd be more fun if teams were mostly comprised of Silver and lower players, just from the diversity and increased number of decisions.
This is a good point, too. In many cases, the "best" player at a position is arguably not even a diamond, so not only is there little option about who to buy, but in general you're able to buy all of those players pretty quickly if you work at it. Even just with flipping, I'm looking at my team now and other than buying perfect players, there really isn't much else I can get that improves me. Pretty much everyone has climbed the ladder too quickly. I can't help but think that in the end, the top league is going to be filled with teams who each contain 15-20 of the same players.

Maybe more of the bronze, silver and golds could be boosted in one area if it is reasonable. So you'd have more strong, but one-dimensional players at the lower ratings who might have real value on 'theme' teams, instead of a lot of guys who aren't able to play for anyone.

Quote:
PP gain needs to be addressed, as I am gaining ridiculous amounts of PP with my best team and not all that much with my worst team. There needs to be some sort of "catch-up" mechanic otherwise the majority of players are going to be left in the dust.
I disagree with this. People who build good teams, whether by spending time with the game or by spending real money on pp, should be earning more rewards. Otherwise, what's the point of all this? The game is already way too biased towards weak teams.

Although I won't comment further about that topic, since whenever I do I end up triggering about 25 people.

Last edited by One Post Wonder; 11-17-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #12
genuvar
Minors (Single A)

The number of good players he pulled with $20 is ridiculous. I wanted to test this myself and I had an extra 20 bucks.. I just wish I could have taken some screen shots.

I went on a streak of only pulling 2 golds out of 30 something packs, nothing higher and only a few silvers. Also the 2 golds I already had on my team. Was just a bit frustrating.

There must still be a sizeable amount of luck when it comes to opening packs no matter your budget.

(on a side not with a different account, with a single free pack, I pulled Severino, Pedro Martinez, and Sean Doolittle)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #13
Maddox
All Star Reserve

I have opened maybe 13 packs since the game started, not counting my starter packs and I have not seen anything above a silver. I don't believe it is too easy to build a team off packs.

Here is what I do know. If I keep opening packs like the last 10 I opened it will become just like MLB The Show where opening packs is a suckers game and I just won't do it at all.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #14
Zaun
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuvar View Post
The number of good players he pulled with $20 is ridiculous. I wanted to test this myself and I had an extra 20 bucks.. I just wish I could have taken some screen shots.

I went on a streak of only pulling 2 golds out of 30 something packs, nothing higher and only a few silvers. Also the 2 golds I already had on my team. Was just a bit frustrating.

There must still be a sizeable amount of luck when it comes to opening packs no matter your budget.
Definitely a lot of variance to it, but a lot of it is because pack EV is too high. Buy packs, sell contents, repeat over and over again. It will be difficult to make any real conclusions from here on out, since I assume the market is rapidly dying down as tons of people are going inactive. Also, I would assume the beta has an underrepresentative amount of money-spenders - ie a larger percentage of users will have spent more money on release, compared to a short beta which is going to be wiped.

Last edited by Zaun; 11-17-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #15
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Odds on a perfect are 1:1000, so it would take 10,000 cards to get 10 perfects. That’s a lot more than $200. You couldn’t buy 10 perfects at the AH for $200 either, much less the rest of the cards. So, how did you do it?
Old 11-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #16
Zaun
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Odds on a perfect are 1:1000, so it would take 10,000 cards to get 10 perfects. That’s a lot more than $200. You couldn’t buy 10 perfects at the AH for $200 either, much less the rest of the cards. So, how did you do it?
Packs are +EV (or at least they were until the most recent wave of nerfs, I haven't done the math yet as of now). I'm "earning PP" every pack I buy. I've kind of stopped bothering now though, I've got 150k liquid and a huge stockpile of unsold cards. Have also had a large of number of profitable auctfion house flips.

Also having an OP team gives you tons of achievement PP. I've got countless gold/silver achievements, the PP is coming in faster than I can spend it. The system in some ways is kinda broken.

Name:  ptx.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  225.3 KB

Last edited by Zaun; 11-17-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #17
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Proverbs 21:20
Old 11-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #18
ShiBDiB
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I think pack odds are too good.
This x1000000 been saying it since the beta started. Teams are filling out much too quickly because the pack odds are way too high.

And the issue of PP being more common the better your team is will just snowball horribly out of control.

Last edited by ShiBDiB; 11-17-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #19
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Packs are +EV (or at least they were until the most recent wave of nerfs, I haven't done the math yet as of now). I'm "earning PP" every pack I buy. I've kind of stopped bothering now though, I've got 150k liquid and a huge stockpile of unsold cards. Have also had a large of number of profitable auctfion house flips.
I believe that you have a large amount of unsold cards, but I don’t buy this otherwise. I assume +EV means that you make money off every pack, but that simply is not true. Most of the cards on the AH go unsold.

Now how did you really do it?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #20
Echo127
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiBDiB View Post
This x1000000 been saying it since the beta started. Teams are filling out much too quickly because the pack odds are way too high.

And the issue of PP being more common the better your team is will just snowball horribly out of control.
And here I am, yet to see a diamond .

But here's my thought--if you want to nerf the card packs, you should wait until OOTP20 to do it. OOTP19's life cycle is over half done, so there's less time to build a team. For OOTP20, it might be a good idea to nerf the packs so that everyone doesn't get into the silver/gold range so quickly.
Closed Thread