Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
tiax
Bat Boy

Question Help with 1800s pitcher stamina

I'm trying to set up a historical game starting in 1871, using the development engine. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good way to handle pitcher stamina.

In 1871 there are 9 teams, and 12 possible pitchers. We have three options for computing pitcher stamina: 'Current Year', '3-Year Period' and 'Entire Career'.

Entire Career is unworkable in 1871, as it results in only 7 pitchers with enough stamina to start games, so at least two teams will have no pitcher. For example, Al Pratt (https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...rattal01.shtml) started 28 of his team's 29 games, is reduced to 22 stamina (using the editor's internal 0-255 scale). Rynie Wolters and John McMullin are similarly affected.

Current Year and 3-Year Period work better - producing only 2 pitchers with nerfed stamina (and therefore 10 viable starters). Only Frank Fleet and Joe McDermott are left with 1 stamina. However, even these two are somewhat unsatisfying. Fleet only pitched one game in 1871, and only started 8 games in his entire career. But he was a starting pitcher in those games, not a minimal-stamina reliever, and he completed 7 of his 8 games. McDermott is similar - he only actually played in 1872 (not sure why he's in 1871's draft class) but he started and completed 7 games. There does not seem to be a setting I can find which makes these two viable - even turning off the 'weaken pitchers with fewer than X innings' settings does not give them any stamina.

Still, Current Year and 3-Year Period seem to be the best options in 1871. But what about as the game progresses? It seems to be the case that for many pitchers, these settings give unsatisfactory settings. For example, in the 1897 draft class, Rube Waddell (a dominant deadball-era pitcher with 261 complete games) starts with a measly 23 stamina. This happens because he pitched 14 innings in 1897 as a 20-year-old, and then didn't play again until 1899.

So what am I supposed to do? Do I switch stamina settings mid-way through the game? Should it changed after the 1871 inaugural draft, or at some later point? Do I need to just go manually through each draft class fixing stamina ratings?

Also, (as you can tell by which subforum this is posted in), I'm playing on OOTP20. Is this issue improved in the newer versions?
tiax is offline   Reply With Quote