Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Cutoff Man Doesn't Throw Home

Using Build 41. Not sure if this was reported.

I have seen this about 5 times now. Runner on second base. Batter hits the ball into left field. Left Fielder throws ball to cutoff man before runner (the one who was on second base) reaches third. Runner rounds third and cutoff man holds ball without even attempting to throw the ball home.

The cutoff man could easily throw the runner out if he wanted to or at least prevent the runner from actually going home, but decides to hold the ball for whatever reason.
Tim28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #2
Tazilon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim28 View Post
Using Build 41. Not sure if this was reported.

I have seen this about 5 times now. Runner on second base. Batter hits the ball into left field. Left Fielder throws ball to cutoff man before runner (the one who was on second base) reaches third. Runner rounds third and cutoff man holds ball without even attempting to throw the ball home.

The cutoff man could easily throw the runner out if he wanted to or at least prevent the runner from actually going home, but decides to hold the ball for whatever reason.
I get the same thing.
Tazilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
Chimaera
Minors (Single A)

The way I look at these things is it's just a display thing, not exactly how it's represented in the engine. While it may appear that the cut-off man may have had ample opportunity to throw the runner out at home since he wasn't even at third base yet, the engine is probably saying the cut-off man didn't have a chance to throw the runner out, and that's what is represented graphically.

I've seen infield singles hit directly to my 1B who never made an attempt to run to the base and get the out in 18. There was no error committed on the play, either. So I just chalked it up to something happened that prevented the first baseman from getting the out in the engine and left it at that.
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
The way I look at these things is it's just a display thing, not exactly how it's represented in the engine. While it may appear that the cut-off man may have had ample opportunity to throw the runner out at home since he wasn't even at third base yet, the engine is probably saying the cut-off man didn't have a chance to throw the runner out, and that's what is represented graphically.

I've seen infield singles hit directly to my 1B who never made an attempt to run to the base and get the out in 18. There was no error committed on the play, either. So I just chalked it up to something happened that prevented the first baseman from getting the out in the engine and left it at that.
If the cutoff man never throws it all, that is not a coincidence. It shouldn't be like it.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
Chimaera
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
If the cutoff man never throws it all, that is not a coincidence. It shouldn't be like it.
Could this be a situation where you're just remembering the times where he doesn't throw because it's a situation that sticks out in your mind? I know when my first baseman never runs to first, it sticks out like a sore thumb because it's so rare to see.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Could this be a situation where you're just remembering the times where he doesn't throw because it's a situation that sticks out in your mind? I know when my first baseman never runs to first, it sticks out like a sore thumb because it's so rare to see.
I am running a huge tourney and played a ton of games today. In this specific scenario it repeated five times. Twice in one game.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Chimaera
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I am running a huge tourney and played a ton of games today. In this specific scenario it repeated five times. Twice in one game.
How many times did the cutoff-man make the throw though because honestly this situation is ripe for recall bias?
Old 03-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
How many times did the cutoff-man make the throw though because honestly this situation is ripe for recall bias?
When a runner is on 2nd base, the ball is hit to left field and then gets thrown to the cutoff man. The cutoff man DOES NOT throw the ball to home.

This has been repetitive or else I would not report it.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #9
Chimaera
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
When a runner is on 2nd base, the ball is hit to left field and then gets thrown to the cutoff man. The cutoff man DOES NOT throw the ball to home.

This has been repetitive or else I would not report it.
You aren't answering my question.How many times has the cutoff thrown home though? Can you answer that?

If you weren't watching the game in 3D view, would you even notice? What does the play-by-play commentary say? What I'm saying is that it very well could just be a graphical glitch in how things are translated from the engine to the actual 3D display. The engine could be saying "the cutoff-man doesn't have a shot at the runner at home" EVEN IF the 3D view shows the runner still at third when he gets the ball. Just because something appears to be off on the 3D view, we should all remember that the engine is what's driving the game.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
You aren't answering my question.How many times has the cutoff thrown home though? Can you answer that?

If you weren't watching the game in 3D view, would you even notice? What does the play-by-play commentary say? What I'm saying is that it very well could just be a graphical glitch in how things are translated from the engine to the actual 3D display. The engine could be saying "the cutoff-man doesn't have a shot at the runner at home" EVEN IF the 3D view shows the runner still at third when he gets the ball. Just because something appears to be off on the 3D view, we should all remember that the engine is what's driving the game.
I'm not going to repeat myself a third time. Someone else has also seen this and they are the 2nd reply in this thread.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
Chimaera
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I'm not going to repeat myself a third time. Someone else has also seen this and they are the 2nd reply in this thread.
Can't even answer my question of how many times you've seen him make the throw. Do you even know how to debug and diagnose an issue when it comes to programming?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:57 PM   #12
eck.nicholas
Major Leagues

I've seen times where the runner easily beats the throw but is called out. I think of it more as a graphics thing showing it off, bit not a bug. I'm with the idea that the games engine that pumps out the result of each play doesn't always quite match the 3D. Not a huge issue for me. It is what it is.

Chop On: Atlanta Braves
eck.nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:03 PM   #13
Chimaera
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck.nicholas View Post
I've seen times where the runner easily beats the throw but is called out. I think of it more as a graphics thing showing it off, bit not a bug. I'm with the idea that the games engine that pumps out the result of each play doesn't always quite match the 3D. Not a huge issue for me. It is what it is.
I've seen this, too.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:00 PM   #14
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I've seen times where the runner easily beats the throw but is called out.
Yes, I have seen this happen as well, but this isn't that big of a deal to me either.

In my specific scenario, the actual PBP text says "No throw" when the cutoff man has the opportunity to throw it. Happened two more times since I posted this.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 PM   #15
eck.nicholas
Major Leagues

Again what the other guy is saying is it's a graphics thing not the game engine. The game says no throw, but the graphics are slightly ahead of that. If a bug has occurred, it's the slight off-timing of the graphics engine and the actual game engine.

Chop On: Atlanta Braves
eck.nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #16
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Again what the other guy is saying is it's a graphics thing not the game engine. The game says no throw, but the graphics are slightly ahead of that. If a bug has occurred, it's the slight off-timing of the graphics engine and the actual game engine.
I am not disputing that the graphics can be off, such as your example, but when 7 out of 7 times in an exact scenario happens, that isn't a coincidence.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:45 PM   #17
Chimaera
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I am not disputing that the graphics can be off, such as your example, but when 7 out of 7 times in an exact scenario happens, that isn't a coincidence.
I asked you a simple question. How many times have you seen a cutoff-man make a throw? If it never happens, then that sounds like a bug, but just because you've witnessed it a couple times doesn't mean anything.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #18
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I asked you a simple question. How many times have you seen a cutoff-man make a throw? If it never happens, then that sounds like a bug, but just because you've witnessed it a couple times doesn't mean anything.
The cutoff man has never made a throw to home. However, the outfielders will make a throw to home if the cutoff man isn't in position with the same scenario in my OP.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #19
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Annoys the living hell out of me!
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #20
Tim28
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdw1000 View Post
Annoys the living hell out of me!
Thank you!

I know I am not the only one this is happening to. Really screws things up especially when it has happened at the end of games to determine a winner.