Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #141
Mike Donlin
All Star Reserve

Market Size for each team changes over the course of a long sim. I know this is a "feature not a bug" but many people, myself included, have longed for a way to lock market sizes.
Mike Donlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #142
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
ERA isn't an obsolete stat. It's just not the best tool for evaluating pitchers. I would wholeheartedly be against ERA being removed from OOTP.

I did say make specific stats optional- you want to keep it fine. and to me ER is obsolete and currently the only stat reported on the players first page. this is a stat that thinks a pitcher is not longer responsible when and error has happen. it also relies IRL on the interpretation of the scorer, as to what was an error, and lead to heavy manipulations, IRL.

and I do understand like many other issues this is not only an OOTP legacy issue. also OOTP has decided to freeze itself in current baseball-like reporting WAR and Saves for games in 1902.

edit: and as for Removing Babe Ruth while you are at it, actually OOTP allows a world where Babe Ruth never existed, it's called fictional. It however does not allow for a world without Saves (i'll pick the worse stat of all)

Addition: from what I saw ER might actually be a better stat in OOTP than in RL, since I don't see much scorer bias in the Game- I have yet to hear of any decision being overturned, or a player going to so the scorer and asking for a change within the game. so maybe it does have some value. I just never look at it.

Last edited by le receveur; 01-20-2014 at 11:37 AM.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #143
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
I did say make specific stats optional- you want to keep it fine. and to me ER is obsolete and currently the only stat reported on the players first page. this is a stat that thinks a pitcher is not longer responsible when and error has happen. it also relies IRL on the interpretation of the scorer, as to what was an error, and lead to heavy manipulations, IRL.

and I do understand like many other issues this is not only an OOTP legacy issue. also OOTP has decided to freeze itself in current baseball-like reporting WAR and Saves for games in 1902.

edit: and as for Removing Babe Ruth while you are at it, actually OOTP allows a world where Babe Ruth never existed, it's called fictional. It however does not allow for a world without Saves (i'll pick the worse stat of all)
You said move away from them (or at least make them optional), which led me to believe you preferred that it be removed all together.

I don't disagree at all about earned runs not being a good stat for evaluation. There are a lot of stats in baseball that aren't the best for evaluation, but they aren't going away. OOTP gives us the ability to customize views so we can easily see the stats that matter most to us.

It sounds to me like you'd prefer the ability to customize the stats that appear on a player's profile page. That's certainly something you could put over in the suggestion forum and probably find some support for it.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #144
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post

Addition: from what I saw ER might actually be a better stat in OOTP than in RL, since I don't see much scorer bias in the Game- I have yet to hear of any decision being overturned, or a player going to so the scorer and asking for a change within the game. so maybe it does have some value. I just never look at it.
As for saves and WAR, those are things that could have been tracked in 1902 had statisticians been aware of them back then. It's much easier for OOTP to include them for those who would like them tracked for historical or fictional games played in pre-WAR or pre-saves eras than it would be to go through the coding process to remove them depending on the year a league is based. I personally think it's fun to see what Joe DiMaggio's WAR is in my historical league. If I didn't think it was fun, I'd just ignore it.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #145
Halara
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markincincy View Post
agreed, not being able to see prev splits or career splits lh/rh is a big problem in trying to decide platoons the current season as well as trade decisions, i.e. I need a lf guy who can hit lh as my current one is a .300/.400/.500 vs rh but a .225/.300/.375 vs ;$
+1
Halara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #146
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

No stats are meaningless.

It is just that some stats are accorded more weight than they deserve.

In some cases they are given meaning counter to actual fact.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #147
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Trying not to start a stats debate in a thread that has meaning.
You do realize that MLB still pays attention to what you guys deem junk stats. Will that be the case 5-10 years from now, probably not. As far as saves being recorded when you start a league prior to 1969, ask Markus about that. I do not see how they could get rid of it and then introduce it in 1969. But if you can get him to get rid of Saves prior to 1969 let's get rid of the geek stats before they become popular over the last 5-10 years.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #148
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

I agree wholeheartedly with rpriske - no stats are meaningless. Why saves and ERA are weighted so heavily is debatable, but every stat has a purpose. You can't just look at ERA to determine the quality of a pitcher, but you also can't look solely at WHIP or FIP or WAR. No single stat gives you a be-all and end-all evaluation of a player. I realize the faults of ERA, but I still occasionally use it in conjuction with other stats to help make a decision on a pitcher. It should never have as much weight as it currently does, but that doesn't make it entirely meaningless.

The game also can't really "move away" from those stats until the MLB does. You pick up new players every year who are nothing more than casual baseball fans, and if they come into OOTP expecting to see RBIs and ERAs playing a prominent role, they're going to be lost if the game defaults to the sabermetric stats.

This actually leads me to another suggestion: why can't we change what stats we see on the widgets in-game? Not sure how difficult it might be to code, but it'd be pretty awesome to be able to customize the Batter Info and Pitcher Info boxes to contain whatever stats you care about.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by txranger View Post
The game creates some shading layers on the jerseys that don't seem to be needed any longer... Primarily I'm speaking of the button down placket shadow... This layer appears on custom pullover jerseys that are created and distorts the logos or lettering... With the advances in the cap and jersey templates over the years by the talented folks who created them, these layers created by the game itself aren't required anymore...
Seconded. This is a big one for graphics makers.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #149
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with rpriske - no stats are meaningless. Why saves and ERA are weighted so heavily is debatable, but every stat has a purpose. You can't just look at ERA to determine the quality of a pitcher, but you also can't look solely at WHIP or FIP or WAR. No single stat gives you a be-all and end-all evaluation of a player. I realize the faults of ERA, but I still occasionally use it in conjuction with other stats to help make a decision on a pitcher. It should never have as much weight as it currently does, but that doesn't make it entirely meaningless.

The game also can't really "move away" from those stats until the MLB does. You pick up new players every year who are nothing more than casual baseball fans, and if they come into OOTP expecting to see RBIs and ERAs playing a prominent role, they're going to be lost if the game defaults to the sabermetric stats.

This actually leads me to another suggestion: why can't we change what stats we see on the widgets in-game? Not sure how difficult it might be to code, but it'd be pretty awesome to be able to customize the Batter Info and Pitcher Info boxes to contain whatever stats you care about.

Also,

Seconded. This is a big one for graphics makers.

i can see the reasons why, and the game has to cater to the lowest common denominator. and i agree all Stats have a use, but like most stats in RL it is the misuse of stats that is the problem (like number of Saves driving the salaries).
sorry for being a Geek. i'll go back to looking at Jerseys. :-)

edit: i guess the game has so much flexibility, but stats used, and the way they affect are not one of them, and i sure remember that there will always be limits. the same way as everyone goes along with the limitations of how they see baseball...

Last edited by le receveur; 01-20-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #150
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

The league expansion/schedule generator issue NEEDS to be fixed for OOTP15. This isn't really a legacy issue, per se, but it's absolutely vital. Whether the change is made to League Evolution or to the schedule generator doesn't matter, it just needs to be fixed one way or the other. A working feature of the game should not completely break it.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3630325
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #151
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

How did this player feature his hand after a game, when his team did not even play a game? It is the playoffs, and SD is not even in them.
Attached Images
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #152
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psucolonel View Post
how did this player feature his hand after a game, when his team did not even play a game? It is the playoffs, and sd is not even in them.

afl?

edit: sorry didn't notice he was 29, so unlikely.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #153
HerbD
All Star Reserve

When scouting is turned off that should include OSA scouting but right now(and always) it does not.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #154
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

The champions page and the way in which the uniforms change...players should stay in their winning uniform..looks a total mess really.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #155
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektranaut View Post
The champions page and the way in which the uniforms change...players should stay in their winning uniform..looks a total mess really.
Yes...freeze champions pages.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #156
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Redesign the BNN Player Page.

In particular, get rid of the pitching and batting splits. These are a pain to scroll through on a cell phone when you want to look at a player's career stats. At the very least, please place these splits at the bottom of the page and not in the middle.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #157
byzeil
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Redesign the BNN Player Page.

In particular, get rid of the pitching and batting splits. These are a pain to scroll through on a cell phone when you want to look at a player's career stats. At the very least, please place these splits at the bottom of the page and not in the middle.
Maybe place them at the bottom but please do NOT get rid of them from that page. That page is the 1-stop place to look at all facets of a player.

Sorry but, optimizing OOTP for cell phone access?

Last edited by byzeil; 01-22-2014 at 01:10 AM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #158
gentlemanofleisure
Minors (Double A)

Wild pitches with a runner on third never gets thrown out.

And I mean NEVER.

Bunting for a hit is almost non existent. even with 1985 Vince Coleman.
gentlemanofleisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #159
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanofleisure View Post

And I mean NEVER.
Agreed. It should be rare, but it's a little TOO rare.

Quote:
Bunting for a hit is almost non existent. even with 1985 Vince Coleman.
However, I beg to differ here. I've done it plenty of times.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #160
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And I mean NEVER.
There ahve been arguments about this in the past lol. It's not technically a wild pitch, but it's scored as "runner out advancing", which isn't in the game, and some people think it shouldn't be.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote