Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
Leafs67
Minors (Triple A)

Improve Trade Engine

Lots of the trades just don't make sense. Like Toronto trading Kadri to Anaheim for a 3rd, then they get a 2nd for Michael Grabner from Nashville. How does that work? The next season, the Leafs, a rebuilding team, trade Morgan Rielly, the only good defensive prospect, to Los Angeles for Jeff Carter. Just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe I'm being too critical, I don't know, but I'd love it if the trade engine was updated if at all possible.
Leafs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Trade engine as designed by Mike Milbury!

I've seen a couple of howlers like that, too, in my current playthrough of 15-16.
Edmonton traded Draisatl for Luongo straight up,
Toronto traded Kadri to St. Louis for a 2nd rounder
Florida traded Trocheck to Tampa for a 2nd rounder,
Carolina traded Ryan Murphy to Tampa for Boston's 2nd rounder,

hmm.. maybe trade engine as designed by Steve Yzerman!
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #3
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

I'll make sure to bring it up, but it's a little more complicated than just the A.I. throwing darts at a wall (a la Mike Milbury style).

The CPU trades often for Cap space, so without more knowledge of what's going on, just stating a trade is not enough info for an informed decision on it.

Maybe it is a trade about Cap Space (this is where you see Chicago style trades of 2nd and 3rd rounders). Perhaps a player was refusing to sign with the team so they moved him, or his contract demand was too much. Maybe a AI wanted to add the one piece they thought would help them win the Cup.

Don't get me wrong, head scratching trades do happen in the game, but they happen in real life too, and usually the A.I. is making the trade for a logical reason.

Last edited by Adam B; 06-17-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
mschinner
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Maybe the trade logic is more realistic than we all thought after the Hall and Subban trades.
mschinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #5
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Maybe the trade logic is more realistic than we all thought after the Hall and Subban trades.
exactly....lol.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torognius View Post
Trade engine as designed by Mike Milbury!

I've seen a couple of howlers like that, too, in my current playthrough of 15-16.
Edmonton traded Draisatl for Luongo straight up,
Toronto traded Kadri to St. Louis for a 2nd rounder
Florida traded Trocheck to Tampa for a 2nd rounder,
Carolina traded Ryan Murphy to Tampa for Boston's 2nd rounder,

hmm.. maybe trade engine as designed by Steve Yzerman!
That's just the price you need to pay.

Benning just offered me Jordan Subban for Mark Letestu. The engine is fine.

EDIT: With that said, I wish the AI valued my players and draft picks as much as they do other AI players and draft picks. It's almost discriminatory how Jon Merril (Devils) gets a 3rd round draft pick from Anaheim, but Fayne and Gryba only get 5th round draft picks from teams weak with RD.

Last edited by omjo; 07-04-2016 at 03:36 AM.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Just to put it into perspective, OOTP is in it's 17 version and they still continue to update/tweak their trading AI.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #8
mizu79
Bat Boy

the trade engine is not fine, i was making a trade almost like for like, and i got nowhere near being accepted, and then the next moment, the another team got the guy with a third rounder
i don't get it at all, is like i have to pay a ransom to get my guy, and then another team got him with an offer not as good as mine
i just saw franzen traded for kesler, but i don't think i would have gotten that deal
mizu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu79 View Post
the trade engine is not fine, i was making a trade almost like for like, and i got nowhere near being accepted, and then the next moment, the another team got the guy with a third rounder
i don't get it at all, is like i have to pay a ransom to get my guy, and then another team got him with an offer not as good as mine
i just saw franzen traded for kesler, but i don't think i would have gotten that deal
That was sarcasm on my part - though Benning making a stupid trade is accurate.

I noticed this very same thing though, the AI demands more from me than from other AI-run teams. I found this primarily an issue in the NHL however. When I played in the CHL (WHL, QMJHL, and OHL) I found trades were much easier to do.

With that in mind, I think it might have to do with certain GM's negotiating attribute. However, changing it to 20 and then trying a trade with Anaheim involving two 3-star goaltenders still was "unlikely" to be accepted, so maybe not. That would at least explain why doing trades in the CHL was easier than in the NHL.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #10
Vermin360
Major Leagues

Something to consider is perhaps a relationship with or attitude toward other teams and divisions? A team may have had a good trading history with another in the past and has a preference toward that team in future trades. Or ended up on the bum end of a previous deal and carries a grudge?

Manager, Chicago Cubs, 2015-2019
Manager, Oklahoma City Dodgers, 2016-2018
GM, Philadelphia Athletics, 1871-1872
GM, Detroit Red Wings, 1993-1994

Vermin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
mizu79
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
That was sarcasm on my part - though Benning making a stupid trade is accurate.

I noticed this very same thing though, the AI demands more from me than from other AI-run teams. I found this primarily an issue in the NHL however. When I played in the CHL (WHL, QMJHL, and OHL) I found trades were much easier to do.

With that in mind, I think it might have to do with certain GM's negotiating attribute. However, changing it to 20 and then trying a trade with Anaheim involving two 3-star goaltenders still was "unlikely" to be accepted, so maybe not. That would at least explain why doing trades in the CHL was easier than in the NHL.
lol, im a canucks fans, so i know all abt benning's clever trades

another problem i found is i started trading for a player, n when i finally couldn't since demand was too high, that player immediately got traded to another team, i don't know if is a bug or what

i haven't tweaked with any GM's attribute, but i don't think there is real life negotiating going on in just a game, no? lol
Old 07-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #12
mizu79
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin360 View Post
Something to consider is perhaps a relationship with or attitude toward other teams and divisions? A team may have had a good trading history with another in the past and has a preference toward that team in future trades. Or ended up on the bum end of a previous deal and carries a grudge?
i understand your point, but there is no pattern at all, at least not in my save,
Old 07-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #13
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschinner View Post
Totally this.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu79 View Post
lol, im a canucks fans, so i know all abt benning's clever trades

another problem i found is i started trading for a player, n when i finally couldn't since demand was too high, that player immediately got traded to another team, i don't know if is a bug or what

i haven't tweaked with any GM's attribute, but i don't think there is real life negotiating going on in just a game, no? lol
He sure is unique XP

Haven't had that specifically happen, but I have seen players of similar calibre to certain trade targets of mine (who were on trade blocks to boot) get traded for less than what I've been offering. I usually try to trade with teams who's weakness is my strength, but still no luck.

The negotiation attribute is a thing in the game. Manual says it helps with contract and trade negotiations. But it didn't really effect the likelihood of any trades going through so I'm thinking it's a trade engine thing - probably to stop us from abusing the AI in trades like we used to do in EA games
Old 07-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #15
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin360 View Post
I wouldn't expect the AI to be that advanced in only the second iteration of FHM lol... Kudos if it is though. EA had that a few years ago (haven't played a game since NHL 11 so...), but if so, we need some way to know what our standing is with other teams.

Unless this was a suggestion for improvements to the actual engine. In that case, ignore this post.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:23 AM   #16
mizu79
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
He sure is unique XP

Haven't had that specifically happen, but I have seen players of similar calibre to certain trade targets of mine (who were on trade blocks to boot) get traded for less than what I've been offering. I usually try to trade with teams who's weakness is my strength, but still no luck.

The negotiation attribute is a thing in the game. Manual says it helps with contract and trade negotiations. But it didn't really effect the likelihood of any trades going through so I'm thinking it's a trade engine thing - probably to stop us from abusing the AI in trades like we used to do in EA games
totally, that's why is so frustrating, but I found a way around it, is to keep claiming players off waivers, and then trade them for draft picks, which can turn into assets to be used on actual trades you want to make. Got pietrangelo with edler and 3 fourth round picks lol

in this game, is more like the AI is abusing us lol
Old 07-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #17
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

They desperately need the shop a player feature in this game, that'd help a lot the trading situation.

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #18
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Quote:
They desperately need the shop a player feature in this game, that'd help a lot the trading situation.
I wholeheartedly agree.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote