Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Can / Should you trust an AI GM?

I was considering taking a team and acting as owner by hiring a GM and letting him run the team. Is this sure fire disaster? Or will an AI GM actually be able to put together a championship team?
Would like to hear you all loud and clear on this question!

Thanks!
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
KCBaseballVaultTroy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Following

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
KCBaseballVaultTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

If all GMs in the league are AI GMs, then one AI GM will indeed lead his team to a championship. I guarantee it.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Yeah, Orcin...that goes without saying. But if you hire one, does it have a tendency to pull ridiculous trades, sign enormous contracts, etc. Can you trust one you hire to have good sense?
Old 04-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

nothing compared to you.

you can further your cause by editing this GM to your liking... then you can kinda test various strategies and what works over time -- something i do on the side while running a long sim for...??? e.g. LTMs on occasion.

overall roster strategies, trade preferences and how they value scouting v draft v mlb scouting v development are the importnat sections for a GM.

i don't think scouting rating matters at all, nor their preference toward tools/ability - that stuff is strictly for scouting directors.

the last portion is for budget concerns... if you max them all in a small market / small budget then you spend little in all areas

although it does effect high high each of those budgets will scale with a larger budget... so it's not just ratios of each other, but relative to a small budget... making it max development and max scouting won't cause a 24M/36M scouting/development budget to occur. it will stay relative to budget, so consider that.

ai gm with maxed out things like that probably spend too much and too varied in a small market. in a huge market they probably excel.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
andyhdz
All Star Starter

So what exactly would you do as an owner?
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:00 AM   #7
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I mean "act" like an owner. I know each team has an owner, but I am referring to letting the GM run the office (promotions / demotions, trades, free agents, extensions, etc., etc.,)
In other words, I would be titled the GM, but let my Asst. GM I hire, take the reins.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #8
Reed
All Star Starter

I have tried turning all control over to the asst GM and edited him so he would act like me. Sometimes he does ok but then he'll pull a dumb trade and then I'll fire him. I haven't gone more than a couple seasons before taking over but I suppose it will sort of work but not as well as you would do.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I mean "act" like an owner. I know each team has an owner, but I am referring to letting the GM run the office (promotions / demotions, trades, free agents, extensions, etc., etc.,)
In other words, I would be titled the GM, but let my Asst. GM I hire, take the reins.
again, what would YOU actually DO?

Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I thought about handling the June draft. That's about it.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Pure laziness

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

I do hope that was a joking jab, Padreman
Old 04-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #13
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I was considering taking a team and acting as owner by hiring a GM and letting him run the team. Is this sure fire disaster? Or will an AI GM actually be able to put together a championship team?
Would like to hear you all loud and clear on this question!

Thanks!
This is a fantastic idea. Good suggestion on this. Testing it out with Seattle right now and right off the bat Dipoto made an interesting trade (just like in real life).
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #14
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Playing as Manager only I can tell you you'll get a mixed bag.

In my first season, my GM waived my starting RF who was totally clutch with RISP and was leading the team in RBIs and was 3rd in the league in that category.

He then traded an up and coming utility infielder for an aging veteran for RF duties, who really did not perform well.

My pitching was lacking all season and it was never addressed. Finished last in my division.

During the offseason, he got the MVP to join the team and another player that finished top 5 in most offensive categories.

Still hasn't addressed pitching, so I'm sitting atop the division at the start of this second season with a 14-5 record, winning a lot of games with scores like 13-9.

Fun stuff.

I know what you are trying to do is different, but you're in for some interesting twists, that's for sure.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you'll realize that reputation or ratings without the right strategy is wasted.

i'd focus on AI hirees that will do as you want.. .or edit them by roleplaying threatening their job!

less so for the scout-- all ability with that guy with one caveat on whom they prefer.

GM / Manager strategies are supremely important, though. (i guess bench coach too...)

if you ahve a good gm/scout tandem with a big budget, you will see ~20years of consistent success etc... that very same big budget with bad gm/scout and you see only lucky years of success. i see this when i do my edits, then sim out a long way... the first 20year (if they don't get fired/retire) is a "golden era" in the history of that team. (the best stretch, or at least one of the best strethes)

a small market gm needs to be different than a big market gm in certain ways.. or they are doomed to fail.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #16
Aceshigh24
All Star Reserve

So I did a test run with Seattle by giving the power to Dipoto. Before the season started he made a trade with Cleveland to send Drew Smyly for Chris Colabello and a 3 star Prospect.

Did another test league but this time i fired Dipoto and hired Theo Epstein and he too made a trade for Chris Colabello but he gave up James Paxton and got back a 4 star SP.

Those 2 trades are not something i would have done but interesting to see that they both traded for the same guy.
Aceshigh24 is offline   Reply With Quote