Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Manual Voting - HOF and Annual Awards Questions

A couple questions/observations about manual voting.

HOF: It seems that my vote is disproportionately influential. Every person I vote for makes the hall, nobody I don't vote for makes it. One of a couple things could explain this:
a - I'm an extremely savvy voter
b - This is working as intended and the player's choices override the AI
c - Not working as intended

Annual Awards: I hadn't really done manual voting until I made a custom award. Assigning the custom award, I figured that I would also vote for all of the others. When I turned in my ballot, the following happened:
a - The staggered reveal of award winners disappeared and all award winners were announced that very day
b - Every one I voted for won an award
Note that this is based off of just one year, so it could be working as intended, but I wonder is there a way to vote only for my custom award and have the rest of the awards be chosen and distributed by the AI over several days?

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
A couple questions/observations about manual voting.

HOF: It seems that my vote is disproportionately influential. Every person I vote for makes the hall, nobody I don't vote for makes it. One of a couple things could explain this:
a - I'm an extremely savvy voter
b - This is working as intended and the player's choices override the AI
c - Not working as intended

Annual Awards: I hadn't really done manual voting until I made a custom award. Assigning the custom award, I figured that I would also vote for all of the others. When I turned in my ballot, the following happened:
a - The staggered reveal of award winners disappeared and all award winners were announced that very day
Note that this is based off of just one year, so it could be working as intended, but I wonder is there a way to vote only for my custom award and have the rest of the awards be chosen and distributed by the AI over several days?
I don't know about the annual awards as I don't vote on those. As for the hall of fame, your vote is weighted higher but it is by no means a sure thing. I had several people I voted for that didn't make it in the hall. I've also had people I didn't vote for get elected.

Last edited by ihatenames; 12-13-2016 at 01:49 PM.
ihatenames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
I don't know about the annual awards as I don't vote on those. As for the hall of fame, your vote is weighted higher but it is by no means a sure thing. I have several people I vote for that don't make it in the hall. I've also had people I didn't vote for get elected.
same here.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I like to play MLB quick starts and I always vote for guys like Bonds, Clemens & Sheffield and it takes me several years to get them all in. So it isn't automatic with your vote but it pretty much is for anyone that should get in anyways such as a Jeter or Thome.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

pretty sure there's a setting you hve turned on, or off... if you vote and get 100% for each hof candidate, it's a setting. otherwise, it just influences it. if they aren't sure-things, then your vote will be a big deal.

as far as the roid boys, that's weird. check national popularity ratings. there's got to be a metric the game is using if the stats are amazing and they aren't getting in. bonds fits that bill

regular awards i use the "ask computer" and make sure there aren't any egregious mistakes. I don't look too hard, but i look over mvp/cy young and reliever award. i also make cy young/mvp/roty all mutually exclusive to SP/RP/position player, respectively. maybe it's easier on the ai, but i just prefer it too.

Last edited by NoOne; 12-14-2016 at 01:24 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
I have several guys i voted for HOF that don't make it

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
as far as the roid boys, that's weird. check national popularity ratings. there's got to be a metric the game is using if the stats are amazing and they aren't getting in. bonds fits that bill
Just guessing but I think its because they are sitting at like 30-40% from previous votes so it takes a few years to gain momentum or something. I always vote for Edgar Martinez too but can't ever get him in, I assume for same reason since he hits tenth year on ballot in 2017 or 2018.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

I believe there isn't a mechanism to "vote" for the end-of-season awards like there is for the HOF and ASG in OOTP. The screen you were using allows you to manually choose the award winners - basically your vote is the only vote, hence why they all get announced immediately.
metsguy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
jncca1215
Minors (Rookie Ball)

That's correct. I always do a modified vote for year-end (I "ask computer" and then tweak if I feel something is really incorrect) but don't vote for HoF or All-Star games because it's more interesting to see what happens without my influence.
jncca1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
tlowe77
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
The end of season awards aren't a vote, when done manually you are picking the winners and runners up.

Like the other guys have said I also click on "ask computer" first then make changes if I feel like they are incorrect.
tlowe77 is offline   Reply With Quote