Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Limiting pitchers to twice through a lineup

I want to limit certain pitchers to once or twice through the lineup. I've been settling with a pitch-count of 70 (4 pitches per PA * 18 BF). Is there a better way to implement this?
daysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysauce View Post
I want to limit certain pitchers to once or twice through the lineup. I've been settling with a pitch-count of 70 (4 pitches per PA * 18 BF). Is there a better way to implement this?

I would like to play around with this as well. I would also like to play with the idea if having a 3 man rotation, with starters only going 3 innings, the going to the bullpen. Not sure how to implement.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

I definitely am interested in both points mentioned above. I also compensate by applying a similar strategy (usually pitch limits of ~45 - ~75 depending on the quality of the pitcher). Would be nice to enable hard caps on innings within a game as well.

Last edited by x McLovin x; 05-16-2019 at 04:48 PM.
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
Not sure how to implement.
Get a time machine to go back to 1993 and find Tony LaRussa

But really, seems like another option should be added near the "limit to X pitches". Like "limit to # of times through lineup". This is the new normal and not going away any time soon.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Just curious, does the game actually build in a times through the order penalty for pitchers? Or is it essentially just fatigue that would result in pitcher being less effective later in the game?
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
Just curious, does the game actually build in a times through the order penalty for pitchers? Or is it essentially just fatigue that would result in pitcher being less effective later in the game?
I am somewhere around 10,000 games managed (not: simmed) in OOTP, and I am pretty sure it's the former - general fatigue. They don't suddenly going to junk just because the leadoff guy comes up for the third time.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I am somewhere around 10,000 games managed (not: simmed) in OOTP, and I am pretty sure it's the former - general fatigue. They don't suddenly going to junk just because the leadoff guy comes up for the third time.

Have you compared it with real world stats of change for the 3rd time through? I always felt that, in the RW, it is more than just fatigue, it is also the chance to see the pitcher the 3rd time and pick up on his delivery, but that may well be influenced more by announcers talk than reality.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Yeah there’s definitely an advantage to the batter that builds on getting used to the pitcher, naturally. Pitcher’s challenge is to overcome that.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #9
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I swear (not really) that somewhere along the line here a developer hinted that this was built into the game, though subtly and in combination with several other factors.
I can't for the life of me remember when or in what thread this was. And I might be imagining it completely.

Still, nagging voice in the back of my head says it really did happen.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I swear (not really) that somewhere along the line here a developer hinted that this was built into the game, though subtly and in combination with several other factors.
I can't for the life of me remember when or in what thread this was. And I might be imagining it completely.

Still, nagging voice in the back of my head says it really did happen.

I vaguely remember this, as well. Paging Matt or Markus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #11
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

But really, seems like another option should be added near the "limit to X pitches". Like "limit to # of times through lineup". This is the new normal and not going away any time soon.
My thinking would be "X # batters" as opposed to times through the order. This would allow more flexibility and maybe set things up if MLB adapts the 3 batter minimum for RPs. Potentially there could be an option to set a minimum and maximum number of batters with ether/both set to zero would be no limit.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #12
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Markus or Matt confirmed something to this effect was in place in OOTP 19. Made it harder for me to get pitchers to pitch the way I wanted them to in my leagues (or at least I believe it was this added effect, far as I know 19 was the first game with it and it was the first game I've had that issue).
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
daysauce
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

Or even better, limit to # batters faced. One'd think that easier to implement but we probably gotta wait till ootp 21 and pay another $40 to see the follower feature optimized

Last edited by daysauce; 05-20-2019 at 03:20 PM.
daysauce is offline   Reply With Quote