Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #681
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
ive gotta do it. Not the best looking dude but he was a baller. I'm just glad I got to see him play on the Royals after his great Twins days. Dude was actually on a lot of teams! Gary Gaetti:
Atlantic League champion Skeeters!

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #682
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault View Post
Atlantic League champion Skeeters!
I always liked that. My dog when I was a kid was named Skeeter.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #683
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
This inner circle HoFer is definitely in the rarified air of Hornsby, Collins and Lajoie. I would put him behind them all, but he was one helluva player. He probably wouldn't put himself behind them all, but that's OK, I do. I always found it hilarious how vehemently anti-Moneyball he was considering that at the time Moneyball was written OBP was the market inefficiency and he was tremendous at getting on base throughout his phenomenal career. That market inefficiency has changed often since the book was written. I think the next inefficiency will be contact hitters due to the rash of strikeouts that we see in today's game. He had speed, power, and he could hit. He could flat out do it all. "Little Joe". Joe Morgan #8
Same here. If anything, you'd think that Morgan would've used that opportunity to emphasize that formerly underappreciated aspect of his game as a lesson to young players. Instead, he acted like it was a personal affront that Beane (and other sabermetricians) would place such high value on a rare skill that he possessed in superabundance. Strange man.

In addition, he could never seem to understand for some reason that Beane wasn't dismissing the value of stolen bases entirely, just that they weren't worth attempting unless the success rate could be maintained above 70%. However, as was the case with OBP, the sad irony was that Morgan was also the kind player who utilized his speed in precisely the way Beane was advocating (Lifetime 80.964% SB percentage).

Last edited by Caporegime; 03-11-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Caporegime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #684
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Same here. If anything, you'd think that Morgan would've used that opportunity to emphasize that formerly underappreciated aspect of his game as a lesson to young players. Instead, he acted like it was a personal affront that Beane (and other sabermetricians) would place such high value on a rare skill that he possessed in superabundance. Strange man.

In addition, he could never seem to understand for some reason that Beane wasn't dismissing the value of stolen bases entirely, just that they weren't worth attempting unless the success rate could be maintained above 70%. However, as was the case with OBP, the sad irony was that Morgan was also the kind player who utilized his speed in precisely the way Beane was advocating (Lifetime 80.964% SB percentage).
Good point on SB%. Had forgotten that. So that's two things that Little Joe did very well that he blasted Billy Beane (or in fact Joe, Michael Lewis) for emphasizing. As you said, strange man...But still, awesome baseball player.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #685
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

8 Days Left

Andre Dawson

He wears an Expos cap in the HOF, but he was a FLA Marlin!
Attached Images

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #686
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #687
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I was just checking before going to bed to see if someone put Cal up there!!!!
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #688
Caporegime
All Star Starter

The magic number is 7.

The great Mickey Mantle, #7. I wish I could have seen him play.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 AM   #689
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

Several notable 7s for the Sox. But since AJ and I discussed this guy earlier in the thread, I think it's only right that I bring him back up. I think he's deserving of HoF honors. He doesn't have quite the counting stats other outfielders may have, but much of his career was in center, and I think that there's something to be said for being a great all-around player for a very long time. 8 years of his long 17-year career were in a Sox uni. He was best here. Shame we couldn't win a world series while he was in town. #7 Reggie Smith
Attached Images
Image Image 
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #690
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Jd...
Attached Images
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #691
SeaBear
Minors (Double A)

The anti-hype is palpalble....don't know why we're keeping this up...X days toward what...y'all don't even know what it is that you're getting.
SeaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:00 AM   #692
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Time to turn ahead the clock. (Offer void in Arizona and Hawaii.)

bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 AM   #693
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Time to turn ahead the clock. (Offer void in Arizona and Hawaii.)

Ugh. Turn it back. Turn it back.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #694
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Another Hall of Famer, a player that proved you don't have to be big ... and who rarely had a clean uniform, Craig Biggio

that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:44 AM   #695
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

This guy had a great 1982 season for us and was a part of the first ever postseason team in franchise history. He was hopelessly miscast as the leadoff hitter though. One of those players who if he didn't hit .300, he was pretty much useless offensively because of his on base difficulties (could not take a walk) and a complete lack of power. You have to be able to at least get on base or slug in order to be considered a good offensive player in my mind. Damaso Garcia #7
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-12-2017, 03:46 AM   #696
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

@Germaniac: Biggio may not have been big (as in tall), but he was an absolute power plant in terms of build.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:50 AM   #697
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

This man had the most peculiar batting stance I ever did see, but it was very effective for him. He had a .249 ISOP for us as he drilled a staggering 80 HR in 1,364 PA as a Blue Jay. He was fun to watch. Tony Batista #7
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-12-2017, 03:58 AM   #698
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

He brought a great smile, boundless enthusiasm and energy, and a dynamic game to Toronto and yet somehow when he was done here, you felt like we'd gotten less out of him than we should have. Eventually his range at SS became problematic and he was traded as part of a package for a guy who should be showing up in about...oh...five days or so. Don't get me wrong, what he gave us was right around what he has always produced in his career. It's just, there's so much promise there. Jose Reyes #7
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-12-2017, 04:05 AM   #699
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

A member of the upcoming HoF class, this guy was absolutely Mister Excitement as a backstop. He shut running games down cold with his rifle arm and won ten straight Gold Gloves from 1992 through 2001, and thirteen when it was all said and done. He was a treat to watch for sure.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #700
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Dom DiMaggio #7
Attached Images

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote