Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:35 AM   #41
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1995 Recap: World Series Champions

Despite a season-ending injury to Ken Griffey Junior, a playoff-ending injury to Juan Gonzalez, and stints on the Disabled List for Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire, the A's prevailed en route to their 10th World Championship in 1995. There would be no individual records for this year's squad, but this squad proved that a well-balanced team can be tough to beat any time of year. Before his injury, Junior was the A's top hitter, batting .323 with 40 homeruns and 123 RBI. Right behind him was Barry Bonds (.319, 35 HR, 132 RBI) and Barry Larkin (.324, 23 HR, 123 RBI). Even Juan Gonzalez, who played in just 97 games during the regular season, put together an impressive .317, 26 homerun, 81 RBI campaign. Mark McGwire dropped off precipitously from his 80-homerun season, but his 38 HR, 122 RBI campaign was nothing to sneeze at.

We had a pair of 20-game winners in Greg Maddux (22-3, 2.71 ERA) and the surprising David Wells (25-3, 2.82 ERA), while Pedro Martinez (16-8, 3.01 ERA, 260 K) ranked second in the league in strikeouts. Trevor Hoffman saved 41 saves in his first season as our closer. I look up and down this roster, and I see nothing but All-Stars and Hall of Famers. I'm already thinking about a repeat.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 1995 World Series Champion Oakland Athletics...
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
SimNation Fictional Universe (est. 1889)
This is Oakland A's Baseball
Beane Counting: The Oakland A's
Hendu Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #42
kev24fan
Major Leagues

Way to go, I hope you can bring a few more WS Championships to Oakland.
kev24fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:17 AM   #43
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1996 Offseason: Bye, Bye Berroa

What does a GM do after his team wins the World Series after a 120-win regular season? He tries to get better. You do that by leveraging any position of strength on your roster and addressing any potential area of concern for the future. In this particular case, I know I'll be hurting at catcher down the road -- Terry Steinbach will turn 34 in 1996 -- so I'd love to find someone to anchor that position in the late 1990's into the 2000's when Steinbach decides to retire.

My strength is in the outfield, with Moises Alou, Geronimo Berroa, and farmhand Matt Stairs all vying for playing time behind Barry Bonds, Ken Griffey Junior, and Juan Gonzalez. True, Griffey will be out until midseason in 1996 and Gonzalez is entering the last year of a 2-year contract, but it's clear I can trade one of my outfielders to pick up a catcher. Lucky for me, the Texas Rangers have a young Jorge Posada (acquired from the Yankees midseason in 1995 for pitcher Danny Jackson) stuck behind All-Star catcher Ivan Rodriguez. The Rangers eagerly accept an offer of Berroa (.315, 12 HR for the A's in 1995), minor league middle infielder Tony Batista, and outfield prospect Damon Mashore.

As I start navigating the waters of free agency, I'm stunned to hear the news that Berroa has decided to retire before he even plays a single game in Texas. The Rangers' front office immediately cries foul, but is left helpless as the announcement comes nearly two months after our trade had been finalized. Suspicious, yes. But there's really nothing the Rangers can do. Poor bastards.

In the meantime, I do my best to offset the free agent losses of utility man Mariano Duncan and relievers Dennis Eckersley & Stan Belinda. Former Athletic Mike Bordick comes on board on a two-year deal and Montreal setup man John Wetteland joins the club on a three-year offer. It is by far my least splashy offseason to date, but we're sitting pretty heading into the 1996 season.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #44
jncca1215
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Love that a Brit is announcing a campaign for US Congress.
jncca1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:34 AM   #45
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1996 Season Recap: Aiming for a Repeat

Without trying to sound arrogant, the 1996 regular season pretty much goes as expected. 116 wins is far and away the most of any club this season, and we win the AL West 24 games ahead of the runner-up California Angels. Ken Griffey Junior shows no ill effects from last season's knee injury, battling teammate Jason Giambi for the AL batting crown -- each hit .344 -- before New York's Bernie Williams pulls away to lead the league at a .349 clip. Mark McGwire manages to claim his third career homerun crown with 54 dingers, mostly as our DH with Giambi taking over at first base.

Our biggest strength is in our pitching, with Pedro Martinez threatening to win a triple crown, finishing a league-low 2.81 ERA, 23 wins (2nd-best in the AL), and 300 strikeouts (2nd to Randy Johnson's 334). Kevin Brown leads all of baseball with 26 victories while posting a 2.85 ERA. Our offseason acquisition John Wetteland displaces incumbent closer Trevor Hoffman and finishes second in the AL with 42 saves.

Of course, all of the 20-game winners and 50-homerun hitters mean nothing without another World Championship, and the goal this year is to repeat. We'll have to get through the first couple of rounds without our starting shortstop (Barry Larkin is out with a shoulder injury), but I would say our roster has never looked better heading into the postseason. Now we'll see if these guys can win a second straight title and live up to our lofty expectations.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #46
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1996 Playoffs: A long road, and an unlikely foe in the final

The road to a repeat is rife with trouble. We draw the Toronto Blue Jays in the Divisional Round, a team that boasts a lineup every bit as dangerous as ours. The powerhouse Cleveland Indians lurk in the next round, and let's not forget the 107-win LA Dodgers who are set for a lengthy run of their own in the National League. But for the moment, our focus is on the Blue Jays, who are the AL East champions for a third year in a row, and for good reason.

Toronto's GM has assembled an ungodly lineup, featuring a hodgepodge of free agents, savvy trade acquisitions, and incredible homegrown talent. John Olerud (.250, 24 HR) and Jeff Kent (.277, 27 HR, 115 RBI) are the best of what the Blue Jays farm system has brought to the majors. Paul O'Neill (.327, 26 HR, 101 RBI) and Ryan Klesko (.303, 44 HR, 131 RBI) came over in lopsided trades, and Steve Finley (.286, 24 HR, 89 RBI) signed for a song in free agency. It's no wonder this team finds itself in the postseason year after year. Our playoff run is almost over as soon as it starts with a series opening loss in Oakland, and we find ourselves on the brink of elimination after losing Game 3 to fall behind in the best-of-five ALDS, 2-1. If not for Pedro Martinez's playoff heroics (0.59 ERA, 24 K's in 15.1 innings), we would've found ourselves on the scrapheap. Lucky for us, we pulled out the final two games of the series to move on to the ALCS. The heavily favored Dodgers are not as fortunate in the NLDS, getting swept in the first round by the Chicago Cubs.

We soldier on to the American League Championship Series against a Cleveland team that went 103-59 in the regular season. They wield a balanced lineup with leadoff extraordinaire Kenny Lofton (3 straight stolen base titles before an injury-shortened 1996 campaign), and a slew of power hitters in Albert Belle (.294, 23 HR, 126 RBI), Jim Thome (.301, 38 HR, 100 RBI), Manny Ramirez (.337, 36 HR, 128 RBI), and Gary Sheffield (.323, 40 HR, 142 RBI). Their batting is so good, Charles Nagy (4.08 ERA) and Joey Hamilton (4.59 ERA) manage to win 21 games apiece despite bloated earned run averages. I figure we will ransack their propped-up pitching staff, but through the first four games, we get surprisingly low scoring games (5-3, 5-2, 5-2, 5-3) that look more like a tennis match. Our patience pays off in Game 5, though, in an 18-1 demolition and we gut it out in a grueling series that goes the full seven games. Jason Giambi is named ALCS MVP on the strength of a .370, 4 HR, 9 RBI, 9 run effort in the seven-game stretch.

The emotional rollercoaster of two max-game playoff series takes us to a second straight World Series, where I'm stunned to find the Cubs playing for the first time since 1945. Sammy Sosa (.310, 51 HR, 147 RBI) has enjoyed a breakout year, but the rest of the team is pretty underwhelming outside of right fielder Raul Mondesi (.333, 35 HR) and catcher Sandy Alomar Junior (.302, 18 HR). The Cubbies' lone victory comes in a 2-1 decision at Wrigley in Game 3. Other than that it's smooth sailing for my A's, as we dispose of the Cubs in a swift 5-game execution to win our second straight World Championship. Pedro Martinez, who finished the postseason with a 1.27 ERA and 58 strikeouts in 42.2 innings, is rewarded with World Series MVP honors. And most importantly, we have won the 11th World Series in franchise history.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #47
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Back-to-Back World Series Champions!

Here's the team that has brought a second straight World Championship to Oakland in 1996...
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #48
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

A Giant Disaster

As I reflect and celebrate our second World Series title in as many years, I can't help but think of that proverbial fork in the road that turned us into a big market powerhouse, and sent the Giants to toil away in Tampa Bay.

It was another miserable season for the Giants in 1996, losing an NL-worst 107 games. There isn't a single standout player to be found on the roster. Bill Mueller (.305, 5 HR, 74 RBI) is the team's cleanup hitter. John Burkett (13-17, 4.00 ERA) is the team's ace. Attendance is at an all-time low in St. Petersburg, where just 1.2 million "fans" came to attend Giants games this past season. It's the lowest attendance for the franchise since the team's miserable 100-loss season of 1985 back in San Francisco. To put it bluntly, the Giants are downright pathetic. They're bleeding money, can't sign free agents, and have no help coming up through the farm system.

Hahah.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #49
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

After repeating as World Series champions, we set out sights on something that no team has done in Major League Baseball since 1974: win three consecutive titles. Of course, the A's were the last team to pull off the trifecta, so why not us again?

Our rotation and batting order are stacked with All-Stars, MVPs, and Cy Young Winners. I suppose I should be asking myself, "How do we maintain this?" Instead I want to know, "How can we get even better?"

Begrudgingly, I let our slugging rightfielder Juan Gonzalez walk in free agency. In two injury-riddled seasons in Oakland, he still managed to blast a total of 53 homeruns while batting .315. His defense in the outfield was more than adequate, but I'm simply unwilling to give him the long-term contract he feels he deserves. Kansas City is happy to oblige, inking him to a 7-year contract that averages roughly $5.5 million a year. With Matt Stairs and Moises Alou patiently waiting in the wings, I'm content to let those two fight for the starting job in right field in 1997 and save that money for a different free agent.

Randy Johnson is the top target. Here's a guy who has topped the league in strikeouts in four of the last five years, but hasn't won a Cy Young award since 1993. His ERA has hovered right around 3.00 over the last three years and has been a victim of poor run support in Seattle. He's almost a lock for 20 wins in Oakland. He's also a left-hander, which could be just what we need to quiet any lefty-heavy batting orders in the postseason. After a good month of back-and-forth in negotiations, we come to terms on a 6-year deal that will pay him an average of $7.7 million per season, making him the second highest-paid player in all of baseball. The Walnut Creek native is coming back home to the East Bay.

Later in free agency, I'm stunned to see that Roberto Alomar still has yet to find a home. The second baseman had opted out of a 6-year deal signed with the Padres in 1993, but his asking price of $8 million a year scared off all suitors. He speak briefly with Alomar's agent, but let his party know that we have no interest in a short-term deal. If he was going to be our second baseman, he was going to have to commit to us long-term. Finally, after all other offers had dried up, Alomar consents to a 6-year contract worth $22.8 million. The four-time All-Star becomes an Athletic for a very reasonable $3.8 million salary, far less than the average that Gonzalez commanded from Kansas City.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #50
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

We set out to three-peat in 1997, armed with arguably the greatest pitching rotation known to mankind and batting order loaded with homerun hitters. We go 21-3 in the first month of the season and never look back. Highlighted by a Greg Maddux no-hitter, all four of our top starters reach 20 wins, led by Triple Crown winner Pedro Martinez (26-4, 2.19 ERA, 343 strikeouts). Trevor Hoffman, settling back into the closer's role after ceding the position to John Wetteland the year before, converts 44 of 48 save opportunities while posting a career-low 2.27 ERA. Despite Texas's 99 wins, we win the American League West by 29.0 games with 128 regular season victories, a new MLB record.

Jason Giambi once again contends for the AL batting crown, finishing in third at .344 behind Tony Gwynn (.357) and Alex Rodriguez (.349). Meanwhile, Mark McGwire claims his second straight homerun title (4th overall) with a MLB-best 58 homers along with 159 RBI and 140 runs, also tops in all of baseball. Even aging catcher Terry Steinbach puts together a very respectable .250/22 HR/78 RBI season.

There are some down years, of course. Ken Griffey Junior battles injuries for a third consecutive year but still manages a very strong .303/37 HR/120 RBI campaign. The same cannot be said for Barry Bonds, who is limited to 118 games while batting just .264 with 23 homeruns and 79 RBI. One can only hope he can fully recover in 1998 after suffering separate neck and wrist injuries this season.

Amazingly, there is little to no drama in the 1997 playoffs. We beat the Red Sox 3-1 to move out of the ALDS, and make quick work of the Texas Rangers in the ALCS, 4-1. Our last obstacle, Houston, falls easily as we take the '97 World Series in five games for the franchise's third consecutive World Championship.

Despite the championship, there is still uncertainty that lies ahead for us. A silent war between the A's and the NFL's Raiders has been raging since the team relocated to Oakland and the Coliseum in 1996. Unable to find a suitable new ballpark in the East Bay, we have been forced to share our stadium for the past two seasons. Major League Baseball is also on the verge of expansion for a second time this decade, which means our roster will soon be raided once again by an expansion draft. We may be at the top of the world, but we can definitely feel everyone else nipping at our heels.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-25-2016, 05:25 AM   #51
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

1997 World Series Champions

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the three-time defending World Series Champion Oakland A's...
Attached Images
Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #52
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Major League Baseball officially welcomed two new franchises this offseason, with expansion teams taking root in Phoenix, Arizona and Washington, D.C. The Arizona Diamondbacks will reside in the National League West while the Washington Nationals will call the American League East home.

With an eye on regional rivalries, acting MLB Commissioner Bud Selig announced radical division realignment concurrent with the addition of those franchises.

"With two new ballclubs coming in, it seems like the perfect opportunity to introduce interleague play and build some fantastic rivalries within our divisions," Selig said.

The expansion Arizona Diamondbacks will join the National League West, which remains intact. But the Washington Nationals will be a part of an altered American League East that will see the departure of the Detroit Tigers to the AL Central. The biggest changes will come in the NL's East and Central divisions. The Pittsburgh Pirates and Philadelphia Phillies will depart the NL East and swap places in the Central Division with the Florida Marlins and Tampa Bay Giants.

"We really wanted to keep our Florida and Pennsylvania teams together," Selig explained. "Owners also felt it was a good idea to pair the Marlins and Giants in the same division (NL East) as the Atlanta Braves to keep the southeast geographically intact. We hope that will help attendance for our Florida teams. And we're very excited about a budding rivalry between Baltimore and Washington."

The biggest change will come from Milwaukee, where the Brewers will change leagues from the AL to the NL Central. The division realignment will coincide with the advent of interleague play between the American and National Leagues.

Here is a preview of the new-look divisions for the 1998 season:
Attached Images

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #53
shipfb21
Minors (Double A)

great work as usual. u have built a dynasty. that pitching staff is filthy... as a phillies fan, im upset they were moved 2 the central. philly is 6 hours away from pittsburgh. philly is closer to boston than it is pitt... im just nitpicking, loving the dynasty n love ur writeups.
shipfb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #54
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Remember, it wasn't Hendu who moved the Phils, it was Bud Selig!

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #55
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

Great stuff.

Are you using a facegen pack that produces accurate images of each player?
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #56
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipfb21 View Post
great work as usual. u have built a dynasty. that pitching staff is filthy... as a phillies fan, im upset they were moved 2 the central. philly is 6 hours away from pittsburgh. philly is closer to boston than it is pitt... im just nitpicking, loving the dynasty n love ur writeups.
That's a good point. I just couldn't find another team to swap with that made sense in the East. Maybe if Montreal relocates later it will make sense to make a switch.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #57
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
Great stuff.

Are you using a facegen pack that produces accurate images of each player?
Yes, I'm just using the facegen pack that I found for 2015. For 2016 I'm using Steam, which is great, but it's hard to find good user-made content for it.

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 AM   #58
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Two missions for the 1998 offseason:

1. Upgrade at third base (directive straight from our team owner)
2. Add some arms to our bullpen

Wade Boggs will be 40 next season. After hitting a career-low .251 last season, it's pretty obvious that Wade is in steep decline. It's also worth noting that he's just 32 hits shy of the 3,000 hit milestone. I decline a $2.5 million team option for 1998, but we come to terms on a miniscule deal for two years (with a club option for that second year). Between you and me, Boggs will probably be gone after '98 so long as he reaches 3,000. We have minor league prospect Eric Chavez waiting in the wings at third, but we'll need a short-term solution at this position for the time being.

In a related story, Miguel Tejada is just about ready to take over at shortstop, which means Barry Larkin's days are numbered. The great Bill Walsh said he'd rather get rid of a guy one year too early than one year too late. I decide to maximize Larkin's considerable value and shop him around. The Padres offer up the best deal, and we're able to land Phil Nevin, Bob Wickman, and cash. Nevin was kind of all over the place position-wise in San Diego, seeing time at catcher, third base, and left field. I can envision him being our fulltime third baseman until Chavez comes around, and then Nevin can give us some depth in left and at catcher. Wickman pitched in just 9 games last season before blowing out his elbow. His return for 1998 is iffy, but he could be a solid setup man for us down the line.

With Wickman still unavailable for the foreseeable future, I make one minor signing in free agency, coming to terms with Paul Quantrill on a two-year deal. After posting a career-worst 5.80 ERA in 1995, he's improved little by little over the last couple of years. We're hoping our pitching coach can work wonders on Quantrill in 1998.

Unfortunately we were unable to reel in a big-name free agent, with Roger Clemens signing with Texas ($8.7m/year) and Gary Sheffield joining the White Sox ($8.9m/year). I decide to use a small portion of our excess payroll on our veteran catcher, Terry Steinbach. He matched a career-high with 22 homeruns last season, but will be 36 years old in 1998. We overpay him at $2.5 million to keep him in Oakland one more year. He will most likely lose the starting catcher job to Jorge Posada, but Steiny will be given a fair shot at holding down his job. I'd like to see him retire as an Athletic.

I make two more deals before the start of the 1998 season:

SP David Wells (16-7, 3.34 ERA in 205 innings)
to Boston for...
C Jason Varitek (.125 in 3 games in rookie MLB season)

3B Scott Brosius (.216, 3 HR in 55 games)
CF Ernie Young (.202, 3 HR in 39 games)
C George Williams (prospect)
SP Jay Witasick (prospect)
to Kansas City for...
RP Eddie Guardado (5.48 lifetime ERA in 4 MLB seasons)

Wells is in the final year of 4-year contract, leading MLB in wins with 25 in 1995. His ERA in 3 seasons with us: 2.82, 3.29, 3.34. In other words, Boomer was sensational for us. Unfortunately he's overdue for a big payday, and I'd rather get something for him now instead of losing him to free agency.

Brosius might just be the best backup third baseman in baseball, but I desperately want a left-hander in our bullpen, and that's the price you pay if you want a guy like Guardado.

This offseason we admittedly took a step backward, losing 8.2 WAR (3rd-worst in MLB), but we should be better in the long run.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Previous OOTP Dynasties:
Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #59
jvjc1233
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Love the Varitek acquistion
jvjc1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:28 PM   #60
Izz
Hall Of Famer

*subscribed*

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote