Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Would like to hear your thoughts

I have a strange situation in my league. Harmon Killebrew is tied for the lead in home runs (33) and in the top 10 in RBI, yet for the majority of the season the AI has had him hitting 9th in the batting order. He's hitting in the .275 range and as usual draws his fair share of walks. I have my settings at 0, 70, 25, 5. Killebrew is up there in age and I'm sure his ratings have probably slipped(I pay no attention to ratings, so this is a guess), but based on his performance I have to wonder why the AI hasn't moved him up in the order. He started the season hitting 5th in the order.

Have any of you ever seen something like this?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
No. I have seen some strange batting orders, but nothing like this. I agree it is puzzling.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In my EBL league there is a 3B John Lindsey who is 33 yrs old and the AI has him batting 9th vs RHP. He is 3rd on the team in average 1st in HR and 4th in RBI. Since he is an edited player I know he should be hitting 4th to drive in runs not 9th. His basic edited stat line is .265 30 60 BB 110 K. I'll post his season stats later on.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Well maybe the AI knows what it's doing. Since I made my post yesterday, Killebrew has went cold as ice. He had 32 home runs through June. He hit 2 in July and has a whopping total of 1 for August. Looks like his age is finally catching up to him. Ugh! He has 375 career home runs and I was really pulling for him to be the first ever to 400.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

You gotta love the AI drop off a cliff programming

It SHOULD wait until the offseason and then it might also retire them, but nope...38 yr old player, has done well and been consistent from age 34-37 bypassing the 35 yr old cliff, then in 2 months EVERY rating drops off the cliff and the AI then benches or releases a legend...so unrealistic

Edit him Dave, not a lot but enough to get him through the season. Make sure you edit his fielding as well, because the AI loves to make them a 1 in fielding
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
You gotta love the AI drop off a cliff programming

It SHOULD wait until the offseason and then it might also retire them, but nope...38 yr old player, has done well and been consistent from age 34-37 bypassing the 35 yr old cliff, then in 2 months EVERY rating drops off the cliff and the AI then benches or releases a legend...so unrealistic

Edit him Dave, not a lot but enough to get him through the season. Make sure you edit his fielding as well, because the AI loves to make them a 1 in fielding
He made it through the season, but it looks like he should have called it quits. He is really struggling now. Harmon is still hitting 9th in the order and this season he probably should be riding the bench. He's hitting below .200 with a handful of home runs.

I'm not going to edit him. In fact, some of this might be my fault. I'm experimenting with the aging modifiers for this random debut league. I have both pitchers and hitters aging set to 1.300. I'm trying to see if this helps with the problem of players sticking around too long when using the reserve clause. So far I'm liking the results.

My main concern was why the AI was batting him 9th when he was hitting home runs at a league leading pace. Especially when I have my settings set to ignore ratings and only look at stats. But, you're right about him dropping off the table. It seems he had a 1/2 season left in him and woke up one morning with the hitting skills of Chris Shelton. UGH! That being said, I'm using 1 year recalc, so his drop off was somewhat expected.

Last edited by David Watts; 11-10-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Yes, that was the effects of your increased aging modifier kicking in. I would definitely try something different and see if you like it better. Also, if it was me, I'd take a league backup, load it up, lower the aging modifiers and resim the time frame to see what happens differently.

And, yes, I think the AI knew he was about to fall off the aging cliff - IT KNOWS.

I use 0.900 myself and like it, but to each their own.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Yes, that was the effects of your increased aging modifier kicking in. I would definitely try something different and see if you like it better. Also, if it was me, I'd take a league backup, load it up, lower the aging modifiers and resim the time frame to see what happens differently.

And, yes, I think the AI knew he was about to fall off the aging cliff - IT KNOWS.

I use 0.900 myself and like it, but to each their own.
I'm not really upset about the fall off. I'm using recalc so it's expected due to real life decline. The reason I'm using the higher/faster aging modifiers is to try and altar players that play past their recalc years. I'm attempting to ensure that I don't see the dreaded stick around on a roster for 5 or 6 years of non playing that sometimes occurs when using the Reserve Clause. I'm also using a low "talent change randomness, so the faster aging is a plus in that regard as well.

My concern in the case of Killebrew was due to where the AI was hitting him in the order. I'm using 0 ratings, 70 current season stats, 20 last season stats and 5 for prior (2) years stats. My hope in doing so is that the AI would disregard ratings and use stats only for decision making. But, as you say, it knows the dropoff is coming or arrived, so that makes me believe the AI still uses ratings to some degree.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Did the AI hit him ninth all season, or did it suddenly move him to ninth despite the good numbers?
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Did the AI hit him ninth all season, or did it suddenly move him to ninth despite the good numbers?
It moved him to 9th during the season. In the long run it was the right move, as Harmon went into the tank for the 2nd half. I think in real life a demotion of that order would take longer to occur, as his early production would have kept him hitting towards the middle of the lineup.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It moved him to 9th during the season. In the long run it was the right move, as Harmon went into the tank for the 2nd half. I think in real life a demotion of that order would take longer to occur, as his early production would have kept him hitting towards the middle of the lineup.
Gotcha. I asked because I'm wondering if the AI was able to anticipate his rapid decline because it can see the ratings "under the hood" that we can't see unless we're in commish mode.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Make him your catcher. Then the AI will bat him in the lead off spot.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not really upset about the fall off. I'm using recalc so it's expected due to real life decline. The reason I'm using the higher/faster aging modifiers is to try and altar players that play past their recalc years. I'm attempting to ensure that I don't see the dreaded stick around on a roster for 5 or 6 years of non playing that sometimes occurs when using the Reserve Clause. I'm also using a low "talent change randomness, so the faster aging is a plus in that regard as well.

My concern in the case of Killebrew was due to where the AI was hitting him in the order. I'm using 0 ratings, 70 current season stats, 20 last season stats and 5 for prior (2) years stats. My hope in doing so is that the AI would disregard ratings and use stats only for decision making. But, as you say, it knows the dropoff is coming or arrived, so that makes me believe the AI still uses ratings to some degree.
There's a switch to not let it use ratings in Setup. Is that on or off?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
There's a switch to not let it use ratings in Setup. Is that on or off?
Where is that. I didn't know that existed. Ugh, but now I have another question. I use reserve roster and no minors, so what would the AI use to evaluate players that have no stats? I guess I might be better off leaving things the way they are.

Last edited by David Watts; 11-10-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Make him your catcher. Then the AI will bat him in the lead off spot.
So true.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where is that. I didn't know that existed. Ugh, but now I have another question. I use reserve roster and no minors, so what would the AI use to evaluate players that have no stats? I guess I might be better off leaving things the way they are.
"Overall Ratings based on AI Evaluation, not pure ratings" in Setup. Check the box and see what happens.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where is that. I didn't know that existed. Ugh, but now I have another question. I use reserve roster and no minors, so what would the AI use to evaluate players that have no stats?
You just found another reason to use minor leagues.

Last edited by The Wolf; 11-10-2014 at 08:43 PM.