Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

Restoring backup from external hard drive

Hey this is a bit of a follow-up to a previous post of mine about my game refusing to advance because of a glitch. I posted it in the bug forum, but since I’m not sure I’m going to get a response that’s not “restore from a backup”, I figured I’d start preparing to do that. Which brings me to my question:

I have a backup of my save from when I backed up my whole computer on an external hard drive back in September when I had to send it in for repairs. How would I go about restoring the backup from that? I tried searching the forums and the internet, but I mainly got people transferring their games to a new computer or restoring a backup through the in-game system.

Thanks in advance. I’ve never had to restore a game from backup before or transfer a save between hard drives, so this is all new territory for me.
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingedlion14 View Post
Hey this is a bit of a follow-up to a previous post of mine about my game refusing to advance because of a glitch. I posted it in the bug forum, but since I’m not sure I’m going to get a response that’s not “restore from a backup”, I figured I’d start preparing to do that. Which brings me to my question:

I have a backup of my save from when I backed up my whole computer on an external hard drive back in September when I had to send it in for repairs. How would I go about restoring the backup from that? I tried searching the forums and the internet, but I mainly got people transferring their games to a new computer or restoring a backup through the in-game system.

Thanks in advance. I’ve never had to restore a game from backup before or transfer a save between hard drives, so this is all new territory for me.
Is the backup on the hard drive a .zip file or a regular .lg file? I think your best bet is to send it to a .zip file on the external hard drive if it's not in one already, and extract it into your saved_games folder in your OOTP Baseball ?? folder.

If you want to protect the old one, you can rename it by adding a (1), but it sounds like that one's kind of fubared, and needs to be overwritten, so simply extracting it to the saved_games folder, and clicking on "yes" when it asks you if you want to overwrite the game in there of the same name (assuming they have the same name) should work. Zipping it is the quickest way to go really.

There are some nightmarish stories on here about what happens when you try to transfer .lg files that are not zipped from the saved_games folder to an external hard drive and vice versa. Depending on how large the .lg file is, the transfer can take forever, and/or get hung up and stop because of some sort of error. You don't want that. I've heard of people having the transfer take 16 hours, only to have it go kaput because of some sort of error. Not cool. Using a .zip file is the way to go really.

If you're not sure about how to do this (all kinds of levels of tech know how on this forum, so I'm not going to assume anything about anyone's level with this), please see this thread for some instructions on how to go about it. I hope this helps you get your game back up and running the way you want it to run. Cheers.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-18-2019 at 10:58 AM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Backups like the one referenced are often stored in a proprietary file structure that is designed to be fully restored It may be necessary to partly restore the backed up league files first before getting it copied over to your current game.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

Thanks! I was able to successfully load the backup onto my computer.

Also, this has taught me to back up more often 😂 the game glitched out when I was playing out game 161 of the 2022 season. The external backup was up to May 2022, so I only lose 5.5 months - my internal backup was back at the all-star break of 2019!
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote