Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:16 AM   #241
Reed
All Star Starter

Being from Illinois and a Cub fan, I think he overworked Mark Prior and Kerry Wood ruining their careers.
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #242
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Manager of the Year is a completely meaningless award and I can't believe people are citing it as a credential. It's just "which team did the media underestimate the most pre-season." He had three seasons in a row under .480 (with two last place finishes) between two "manager of the year" awards. Did he just forget how to manage then? Was he outsmarting everyone by lowering expectations so much that he could then exceed them in order to get another award?

This is the guy who didn't want Joey Votto when he came up because he took too many walks.

But like I said managers impact almost nothing game to game unless they do something truly absurd like ask edwin encarnacion or adam dunn to sacrifice bunt in the bottom of the ninth.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #243
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
That's not every year and you know it.
Yea right. Starting with the years Baker won. LOL.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #244
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Manager of the Year is a completely meaningless award and I can't believe people are citing it as a credential. It's just "which team did the media underestimate the most pre-season." He had three seasons in a row under .480 (with two last place finishes) between two "manager of the year" awards. Did he just forget how to manage then? Was he outsmarting everyone by lowering expectations so much that he could then exceed them in order to get another award?

This is the guy who didn't want Joey Votto when he came up because he took too many walks.

But like I said managers impact almost nothing game to game unless they do something truly absurd like ask edwin encarnacion or adam dunn to sacrifice bunt in the bottom of the ninth.
Right

Here's what MLB.com had to say about this years' winners
Quote:
the two men prevailed on the might of what many would consider surprise finishes atop baseball’s Central divisions.
https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-manager-of-the-year-award

No one ever cites anything the manager did directly.

That's because no one really knows what the managers did - or how what they did impacted the team.

Take the Yankees this year. Aaron Boone had as many first place votes as winner Rocco Baldelli. Why? Because "he held the team together thorough all the injuries" or whatever. As if Tauchman, Urshela et al playing like stars was somehow because of Boone.

Now, it may very well have been that the Yankees organization helped those guys out, but if anyone who voted for Boone, or any fan who has strong feelings that Boone should have won can name one thing he specifically did, I've never heard it
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:07 AM   #245
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It's the same for every sport.

Bill Belichick hasn't won a coach of the year since 2010 since everyone expects him to win 12 games. Ron Rivera and Bruce Arians have both won TWO since then. Even Jason Garrett won one.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #246
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

dkgo pretty much summed up my thoughts on manager/coach of the year

It's generally the writers voting for the one in charge of a team that they think over-performed, as opposed to admitting that they were simply wrong in their pre-season assumptions about which teams would be good/bad
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #247
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He could say base on balls kill puppies if he wins.
But what if he follows through by ordering pitchers to never walk someone even if it means when the count goes to three balls they groove 45 mph "fastballs".
Old 02-02-2020, 12:36 AM   #248
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
But what if he follows through by ordering pitchers to never walk someone even if it means when the count goes to three balls they groove 45 mph "fastballs".
Quote:
It just astounds me how a mgr who won MOY 3 times, made the postseason 8 times, won the division 5 times, & a pennant once garnishes such criticism from you guys. Astonishing.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #249
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
He won't
Because he's not an actual human and major league manger. He's not the caricature you've created in your mind
Old 02-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #250
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
He won't
Because he's not an actual human and major league manger. He's not the caricature you've created in your mind
MY caricature? I'm not the one who brought up a scenario of a guy saying walks kill puppies. I just responded with equal silliness.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #251
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Dusty Baker Denies Rumors

February 2 2020
disAssociated Press

During a press conference earlier today, Astros Manger Dusty Baker probably expected questions about whether the Astros would find a new way to cheat with him as manager. Instead he was asked about an internet rumor that he said "Walks kill puppies".

"Not true" said Baker. "What I really said is 'walks clog up the bases'. That's why I'm counseling players to swing more".

However, Baker's belief in the damage walks to do the offense doesn't just apply to his own offense. He believes walks can be used to damage the other teams offense.

With no one on base, Astros pitchers will follow normal procedure. But one a man reaches base, the Astros pitchers will issue two intentional walks, clogging up the bases, and crippling the opposition's offense.

"And it won't affect pitcher's tiredness at all" said Baker "since we can now just signal the intentional walk instead of having to throw four wide ones. The 'speed up the game' types have played right into my plans".

Reaction around the baseball world was mixed. Pioneering sabermetrician Bill James said he expected Astros pitchers to give up 1100 runs under Baker's plan. Upon hearing that, a famous OOTP board poster said "It doesn't matter as long as he wins."
Old 02-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #252
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #253
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Although it would never happen, I think it would be fascinating if Boston did not hire a manager this season. I feel the current, popular sentiment has been that managers have been essentially neutered in terms of importance. It would be interesting if a club actually put that theory to the test.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #254
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Although it would never happen, I think it would be fascinating if Boston did not hire a manager this season. I feel the current, popular sentiment has been that managers have been essentially neutered in terms of importance. It would be interesting if a club actually put that theory to the test.

Random fan drawing at every home game to see who gets to manage them that game?
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:56 PM   #255
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
I would love to see it. Let's see the sabremetric cult put their money where their mouth is. I want to see an entire season where a franchise let's IBM run their team.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #256
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
I would love to see it. Let's see the sabremetric cult put their money where their mouth is. I want to see an entire season where a franchise let's IBM run their team.
This whining about the "sabermetric cult" has no meaning.

Has any "sabermetric cultist" ever claimed that IBM should run a team?

If not, how would letting IBM run a team be putting their money where their mouth is?

As usual, the biggest critics of sabermetrics, WAR, etc are the people who have the least understanding of it.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #257
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

What does that even mean anyway? IBM is a company not "sabrmetrics"
Old 02-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #258
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd like to see CM's OOTP strategy slider settings. If he sets the sliders based on what he posts here, he gets first draft pick every year. If he doesn't set them that way, then what he posts here is merely bait for an argument.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #259
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
U know exactly what it means. If you truly don't, then I've given you more credit than you deserve.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #260
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
U know exactly what it means. If you truly don't, then I've given you more credit than you deserve.
It means Cobra Mgr doesn't really know what sabermetrics is

And most everyone here knows it. Except Cobra Mgr (and everyone else who doesn't really know what sabermetrics is)

#Dunning-Kruger