Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Combining Leagues?

If I have a league that's been running for a few years is it possible to bring in another league that runs separately, and then merge them later?

I guess kind of simulating the AL and NL.

I'm starting a huge fictional project and am trying to plan ahead, because I always run into trouble when I try this sort of undertaking. Usually my problems occur when trying to create proper financials or when I start moving teams around, adding new leagues, etc.

@MisterG90
Mister_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

IF I am understanding you right, you are going to have seperate leagues in your ootp world, such as the American Association, the National Association and so on, and want to know if you can later combine them,

I have recently (Still working on it) ran a league where I Started in 1871 with the National Association and then added leagues as they came. First was to change NA to the National League, then I added the Union, American and Players league. Eventually getting to the MLB set up as it is.

I kept all the teams alive, didnt delete any and didnt delete any leagues, wanted to see what it would be like with all the leagues still being in existence. Some names changed and what not but it did nothing to mess up anything.

The starting league I used as my main league was the National Association, renamed to the National League and then had the AL added in 1901. The history is still there and it can be confusing to look at but it pretty much came out the way I wanted it. Other project have kept me from continuing it for now, but it can be done with little effort.
elfsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

I want two leagues to run entirely separately from eachother and then have one of those leagues added to the other one, preferably with its history still intact. But at the end I will have gone from two leagues in my universe to just one.

You're getting what I am asking I think. I'm just a little confused as to where I do this.

@MisterG90
Old 05-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
SetonHallPirate
Minors (Triple A)

Frankly, I'd love to be able to combine the International League and the Pacific Coast League into an association with their separate (and current) schedules, separate everything, but an All-Star Game in the middle of the summer (held the day after the MLB All-Star game in real llife) and the Triple-A Championship Game at the end of the season. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be possible, at least not currently, as you can only associate leagues at the top of the food chain.
SetonHallPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

It is all done on the league setting page. When you get to the point your ready to move your teams from one league to a combined league, you do this under edit league structure.

For example. if you have two leagues, the NL and the AL and want to move the teams to the NL and make it one league. You click the league options button. Select the NL. Edit league structure to set up the extra divisions, then you choose the al and to the right you will see move team. Click that and move the team to the desired new location. Once all the teams are moved, you can delete the empty AL. Edit names and afffliates to fix up the league name but one warning. If you rename the entire league, it may cause you to lose the previous champions and what not in the league history page, you will stlll have the history, just not the names of the teams that won the league each year.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetonHallPirate View Post
Frankly, I'd love to be able to combine the International League and the Pacific Coast League into an association with their separate (and current) schedules, separate everything, but an All-Star Game in the middle of the summer (held the day after the MLB All-Star game in real llife) and the Triple-A Championship Game at the end of the season. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be possible, at least not currently, as you can only associate leagues at the top of the food chain.

If you were to combine them, you would have to regenerate a schedule and that cant be seperated within a league. You can, at the end of the year, for you benefit only, it wont be counted or kept as a real game, play the two winners of each league in an exhibition game if you wanted too. Not for the allstar game, but for a championship, you could even do a series if you wanted.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

Here is the league I have that has the different real leagues in it.

Name:  league history page.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  132.5 KB

and here are just a few of the teams that are part of the universe

Name:  some of the teams.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  122.7 KB

If you need screenies I will attempt to help you out.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G View Post
If I have a league that's been running for a few years is it possible to bring in another league that runs separately, and then merge them later?

I guess kind of simulating the AL and NL.

I'm starting a huge fictional project and am trying to plan ahead, because I always run into trouble when I try this sort of undertaking. Usually my problems occur when trying to create proper financials or when I start moving teams around, adding new leagues, etc.
I did this with my ABF ML and my Indy American League. What I did was just out some of the AL teams into the ABF and changed the names to MLB, AL & NL. In my current version of this I plan on creating a new league and moving teams from the ABF & AL in the Edit League structure page into the new MLB. This should keep the history of the other 2 leagues intact.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Cras
Hall Of Famer

I simulated MLB history back starting from the creation of the National League in 1876. I ignored the National Association, but doesnt matter where you start.

So I had the National League exist, I added the American Association, had it exist. I ignored the post season they had between each other, it was exhibition anyway...so no big deal.

AA folds, I threw in the four teams that survived into the NL. NL became a bloated league. I created the Western League as a AAA independent league, unaffiliated that was able to sign free agents and what not. In 1900 I renamed the National League to Major League Baseball. I added a sub-league. Sub-league one is the National League, and all the history of it is still there. Sub-League two is the American League, and I moved all the appropriate teams from the Western League to the American League.

Worked fine for me, history is there. The only thing...using historical schedules. The historical schedules assume the AL is sub-league 1. Since mine is reversed, I wrote up a script that I use that flips the teams in the schedule and run it every off-season so I get the right schedules.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

Thanks everyone for the help. So I'm guessing based on what's being said the the history of the teams moved to another league will carry over?

@MisterG90
Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
goroyals
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
I simulated MLB history back starting from the creation of the National League in 1876. I ignored the National Association, but doesnt matter where you start.

So I had the National League exist, I added the American Association, had it exist. I ignored the post season they had between each other, it was exhibition anyway...so no big deal.

AA folds, I threw in the four teams that survived into the NL. NL became a bloated league. I created the Western League as a AAA independent league, unaffiliated that was able to sign free agents and what not. In 1900 I renamed the National League to Major League Baseball. I added a sub-league. Sub-league one is the National League, and all the history of it is still there. Sub-League two is the American League, and I moved all the appropriate teams from the Western League to the American League.

Worked fine for me, history is there. The only thing...using historical schedules. The historical schedules assume the AL is sub-league 1. Since mine is reversed, I wrote up a script that I use that flips the teams in the schedule and run it every off-season so I get the right schedules.
Are you still able to see the history from when the AL was the Western League though? Like the league stats, champions, etc from the WL?

Last edited by goroyals; 05-13-2013 at 12:08 AM.
goroyals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goroyals View Post

Are you still able to see the history from when the AL was the Western League though? Like the league stats, champions, etc from the WL?
That I do not, but I also didnt even try. And I suspect that you couldn't, if you wanted. I shut the Western league down and actually moved the teams that survived into the new American League. And when adding a world series, when looking at the league history screen, I no longer see the NL champions prior to the 'merger', but they are still there. I still see the link to each of those year's history pages, the championships still count, the W-Ls are still there for teams.

If you are actually thinking of merging two leagues...then you might just want to deal with League Associations, and not go the sub-league route. For me, league associations make no sense. Not at the major league level. At the minor leagues sure, but not the major leagues, but sadly, they can only be used for major leagues.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
goroyals
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
That I do not, but I also didnt even try. And I suspect that you couldn't, if you wanted. I shut the Western league down and actually moved the teams that survived into the new American League. And when adding a world series, when looking at the league history screen, I no longer see the NL champions prior to the 'merger', but they are still there. I still see the link to each of those year's history pages, the championships still count, the W-Ls are still there for teams.

If you are actually thinking of merging two leagues...then you might just want to deal with League Associations, and not go the sub-league route. For me, league associations make no sense. Not at the major league level. At the minor leagues sure, but not the major leagues, but sadly, they can only be used for major leagues.
That's what I figured. If I were trying to emulate real history I'd probably deal with the shortcomings and go from unaffiliated to associated to sub-leagues.

You're right, associations and the movement of teams from one league to another and league histories could definitely use some refinement. Maybe a "Merge this League" function would be useful. Click a button, select a destination league from a pulldown tab, and ta-da, you're league becomes a sub-league of a different league. Players, teams, and histories intact. The only trouble might be getting the league history index and the record book to work right.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe a "Merge this League" function would be useful. Click a button, select a destination league from a pulldown tab, and ta-da, you're league becomes a sub-league of a different league. Players, teams, and histories intact. The only trouble might be getting the league history index and the record book to work right.
Now that is certainly a good idea. I could see that being quite useful to be honest.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #16
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're right, associations and the movement of teams from one league to another and league histories could definitely use some refinement. Maybe a "Merge this League" function would be useful. Click a button, select a destination league from a pulldown tab, and ta-da, you're league becomes a sub-league of a different league. Players, teams, and histories intact. The only trouble might be getting the league history index and the record book to work right.
I concur, this would be a really really nice feature.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #17
Mister_G
All Star Reserve

I agree with the last couple posts.

For associated leagues, a function I have not used, could it be used to simulate the PCL and IL in real life...how they play an All-Star Game but have separate schedules and playoffs?

Figures since everyone here seems to be so knowledgeable, might as well keep asking questions.

@MisterG90
Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #18
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_G View Post
I agree with the last couple posts.

For associated leagues, a function I have not used, could it be used to simulate the PCL and IL in real life...how they play an All-Star Game but have separate schedules and playoffs?

Figures since everyone here seems to be so knowledgeable, might as well keep asking questions.
Associations cannot be used for minor leagues.

And it is a shame because the PCL and IL are a perfect situation where an association would be truly wonderful.

A joint all-star game, and a joint post season championship.

But alas, it can only be used for majors. Or more technically, for parent leagues. Which to me serves no use since this thread proves. League associations would do a nice job simulating the early majors, when the National League and American League were truly separate, with different rules and such. But the sub-league model is the far better one to use for modern day MLB, but there is no way to transition from one to the other and not muck up your history.

Hopefully one day associations will be extended to minor leagues.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
goroyals
All Star Reserve

Thanks guys, glad you concur. I officially made the idea a suggestion thread.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-function.html
Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
KCBaseballVaultTroy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

so many Crazies like me

I am doing something similar and am so glad I am not the only loon out there. I created an ootp game in 1871 then added the AA and NA along with the MLB. No one in the AA or NA ever go broke, I am allowing the MLB to grow correctly til it gets to 30 teams at which point I will turn off the auto history because the Wash Nationals already exist. I will then take all the teams from the AA and NA (that also houses teams from the federal and union. Didn't want small leagues) and will eventually combine the 70-90 teams into one Unified Baseball League. I will be interested what happens with the HOFs and stuff when I get that far. I do really enjoy the association options but have had trouble with it freaking out on wildcards which is why I plan to make the unified league. I have a while yet. I am in 1922 I think.

Good read. Thanks all.
KCBaseballVaultTroy is offline   Reply With Quote