Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Teach me to sim!!!!

I've been in a real OOTP slump lately and I'm looking for something to get me out of it. Being married, the Mark Grace route is not an option. More and more, I've been thinking simming may be the answer. Problem is, I've never been able to get into simming whatsoever. But, maybe I'm not doing it right. What are some of the things y'all do to enjoy simming over playing out games. I don't like to manage or gm, I like to be the commissioner and just watch things unfold.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I am going to ramble a bit but here goes:

I start a random debut in 1901, sim a week at time, have an unaffiliated AAA level with 16 teams, have to have second draft ~ 1 March 01, reserve rosters set at 15, players can be purchased from AAA for $100, follow MLB schedules, AAA 140 games two separate leagues playoff for “Little World Series”, No DH, no interleague play, simmed 01-19 with 1976 stats then changed to follow the actual year, go to baseball-reference.com to change all nicknames, colour barrier off, import 8-10 Negro League players who never played MLB into each draft pool, AAA has free agency after 12 years of service, draft is 5 rounds with 8 rounds of players, no AAA draft they can go after the Free Agents, AAA financials -5 %, change the rosters to allow 4 RP, set PH for P to normal, use baseball-reference.com to look up players I don’t know, set fatigue to normal, injuries to classic, invent TJ surgery for any pitcher under 30 with a CEI with 600 days of injury, currently in 1928 and enjoying my league.

Sorry for the disjointed presentation. If you want anything else just ask.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I've been in a real OOTP slump lately and I'm looking for something to get me out of it. Being married, the Mark Grace route is not an option. More and more, I've been thinking simming may be the answer. Problem is, I've never been able to get into simming whatsoever. But, maybe I'm not doing it right. What are some of the things y'all do to enjoy simming over playing out games. I don't like to manage or gm, I like to be the commissioner and just watch things unfold.
I just started simming and just being commissioner after playing out whatever game I was using since childhood. I treat it like I do in RL reading the newspaper. Sim a day, scroll the scores and boxscores look at the probables for the day coming up, check the news etc then rinse and repeat. So far it seems to be working.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Messed around a little with simming last night, but I still can't seem to get the feel for it. Thinking for now, I will go with a method I've used in the past. I fast sim April and May and then play out the remainder of the season. This helps me get through seasons faster which is my goal.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

IF playing as commissioner to watch the league unfold, you should definitely sim a week at a time. Faster and you just don’t get the detail. Slower and it is too boring.

When I sim and control a team, I do one day at a time like the TV show.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
IF playing as commissioner to watch the league unfold, you should definitely sim a week at a time. Faster and you just don’t get the detail. Slower and it is too boring.

When I sim and control a team, I do one day at a time like the TV show.
Last night I messed around with one game(quickplay), daily and a week at a time. Of the three, I enjoyed a week at a time the most. I think for now, I will continue my routine of watching one game a day play out, but I may randomly sim a week here or there to move things along. My current league has been plagued by runaway races in all four divisions. At times, all 4 of the leading teams had 10+ game leads. But, now with 20 games left to play, Detroit has hit a rough patch, while Toronto has come alive. The lead in the AL East is down to 5 games.

Last edited by David Watts; 07-31-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
guamyank
Minors (Triple A)

You know its kind of like anything else...you really have to have an idea for what you want to do. Once you find your thing....you'll totally get into it.
guamyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:07 AM   #8
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I don't like to manage or gm, I like to be the commissioner and just watch things unfold.
It is that sentence that makes me thinking trying a league simming out long periods first to build a history is something you would enjoy.

For me it is all in the numbers you get from building a history. In most of the sims that have any sort of length for me at all I tend to sim out a large number of years quickly and then slow down in the era I want to focus on. With each version of OOTP I like to do one main game that I always call my History of Baseball sim and I try and make a different era be the focus. Last year was the 1920s and the previous one was more the forties if I recall correctly. In my current History of Baseball replay I started a league in about 1892 and then let the game run until 1965. For my tastes I wanted all the World Series boxscores and other major league history as I love to be able to look back and see things such as who Al Kaline got his first career hit off or how Koufax did when pitching in deciding World Series games so I made sure to set it to create an almanac each year.

When I stopped the fast sim at 1965 my first step was to spend hours pouring over the league history. Just looking at things like my leaderboards, who threw no-hitters, what teams dominated and who their key players were. There is just so much history and so many things to discover regardless of your league settings (recalc or development engine, draft or assign rookies to proper teams etc) that you can get lost for hours as each player page you open leads to a guy he was traded for or something else of note. I find it fascinating to look at all of that.

Once I got to 1965 in this sim I slowed down and really 'watch' the league unfold. Sometimes I sim a week at a time, sometimes a month but I make sure at each stopping point I read the news articles, look at injuries, see who is hot...just really get a feel for my universe. WIth OOTP19 and the improved in game viewing experience I have now started watching the occasional regular season game much more than I used. In the past I would sim everything except for the World Series but now watching games really adds to my immersion in the league.

The other key to getting really into your league for me is to do some sort of a dynasty report write-up. I know you have done some with your Random Development Leagues and it is a great way to 'force' yourself to do research on what's happening in your league.

Having the long history that I simmed out makes the league so much more enjoyable. It gives me story lines to follow in my sim. If you look at pretty much any write-up from my current HOB sim you will likely see some references to past seasons or accomplishments.

Going a month at a time generally until September, then a week at a time or slow right down to a day at a time and maybe watch the key games in a pennant race is how I normally sim out a season.

My advice is try picking an era you want to play or if Random Debut sim out 30 or 40 seasons in advance to build that history, then go to the shorter sim schedule.

Good luck. I hope you find you enjoy it. And sorry for such a long reply.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 08-01-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
Reed
All Star Starter

Sometimes I have to take a week or more off from anything OOTP related and that gets me going again. I usually will start a new league doing something a little different when I come back (neutralized or real stats, 1 yr or 3 year recalc, injuries on/off, change stamina fatigue settings, etc.). My basic approach seems to stay the same though (GM, sim a week at a time and then watch a game).
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

For now, I'm going with my fast sim April and May, watch a game per day from June 1st on method. I'm hoping this allows me to get 2 seasons per week in, or at least 1 3/4 seasons.