Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 04-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
kq76
Global Moderator

Webhost Info

If you do a search for "webhost" you should get a tonne of threads with a tonne of info. From those results I'd then search again each page for "webhost" or "host" as there is a lot of noise in threads. After a quick look myself, here are some threads to get you started:

So, uh. Webhosts. Again. (started for non-OOTP reasons, but some OOTPers gave some good info)
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ll-2007-a.html (don't get excited about free being in the title, he was just looking for one)
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...directory.html (idea never really took off, but Fidel listed his there... feel free to add more)

Note that some posts may be years old and CommishJoe's service was sold to another company so who knows what it is like now. There are still numerous recommendations both positive and negative though. You'll also learn a lot more by reading those threads (like features you might want/need) than just finding recommendations for webhosts.

One of the most popular services with OOTPers with Fidel's AllSimBaseball.com service. I personally have never used his service, but many here do and he does go out of his way to help people here so I'm sure he's even more so with his company.

It'd be great if some commishes could also chime in with the amount of space, bandwidth, etc one would want to look for in a hosting plan. Beware that OOTP 2k7/8 leagues require a lot more than OOTP6.5- leagues.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

I can definitely vouch for the quality of Fidel's AllSimBaseball hosting service. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to website creation. Fidel made it incredibly easy to get our website off the ground, which in turn enabled me to focus on the league itself. He does a great job of making himself available to answer questions as well. Very responsive service; it comes highly recommended.

Our service provides us with 7 GB of storage. Fidel also offers a 20 GB plan. For us, though, the 7 GB have been just fine to this point.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Recte44
Global Moderator

westhost.com

top notch host provider. I've had them for a while now, what a night and day difference over my last provider (startlogic.com - never EVER use them).
Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
DWK
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsairs View Post
I can definitely vouch for the quality of Fidel's AllSimBaseball hosting service. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to website creation. Fidel made it incredibly easy to get our website off the ground, which in turn enabled me to focus on the league itself. He does a great job of making himself available to answer questions as well. Very responsive service; it comes highly recommended.
I have to agree with Corsairs, Fidel's AllSimBaseball has been great.
DWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Stu
All Star Starter

I use Bluehost. I honestly have never had a problem with them until the last 2 days. My site has been down since about 2 pm yesterday. Their support keeps telling me they are "performing file system maintenance".

As far as their service, it's been pretty good. My only limitation has been installing processor heavy apps like a chat program. That's a common limitation with most Shared hosting plans though.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

i use hostmonster (oddly enough it is a different arm of bluehost) and rarely have any issue. I didn't have the same problems as stu did. (my understanding is they were trying new shared hosting tech with hostmonster, maybe they are switching bluehost over? they should have notified you. bad service people) i even have a chat program running with no problems. It does slow down when the automatic back-ups kick in, but i suppose that is to be expected.

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball

Last edited by jazzrack; 05-02-2008 at 09:06 PM.
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
kagnew35
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I use Bluehost. I honestly have never had a problem with them until the last 2 days. My site has been down since about 2 pm yesterday. Their support keeps telling me they are "performing file system maintenance".

As far as their service, it's been pretty good. My only limitation has been installing processor heavy apps like a chat program. That's a common limitation with most Shared hosting plans though.

Stu, you've been in my chat room, its is commercial but also has a free version for 25 users, not as customizable but still a very good option. See parachat.com Parachat rides on own server so no problems with that, is java based.

http://www.soxxcountry.com/ site with FaceGen Central and Duffys Tavern Live OOTP Chat Room

Last edited by kagnew35; 05-08-2008 at 04:00 PM.
kagnew35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
realworldJAM
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I just started using Justhost.

It's fantastic. easy upload. easy extraction. I have had zero problems with them thus far, and thay have great customer service.
realworldJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

I use mjwebhosting as a host and they are top notch. I can say nothing but good things about Kamal and the rest of the staff.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
sporr
Global Moderator

Baseball Maelstrom has used Powweb for 7 years now with no issues.
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
phillosopherp
All Star Reserve

has anyone got any experience running a league through a free hosting site? I really want to start a league but I really can't afford (I know its cheap but I am still at the bottom of the check book every month) to pay for a site. So if anyone has some experience with free webhosting and running a league can you post which one you used.

I have been looking into it but it seems always that the FTP is always limited to like 1 mb which of course is not even close to enough for a league
phillosopherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillosopherp View Post
... I really want to start a league but I really can't afford (I know its cheap but I am still at the bottom of the check book every month) to pay for a site. ...
I can't help you about the free web-hosting, but what someone in your situation might want to consider is partnering with someone (maybe more than 1 other) to share in the costs of the web-hosting, if that's within the rules of the contract that is. I know some packages are plenty more than what 1 league needs so you could do that. You'd just need to find someone you could trust to uphold their end of the bargain. And even if they don't, if you're the primary you could just cut them off if they don't pay their share and then look for someone else.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote