Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2016 > MLBM 2016 - General Discussions

MLBM 2016 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2016, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android

Old 04-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #21
Digrdan
Bat Boy

Disappointed about the missing facts/quotes too. Are we sure they intend on bringing them back? Seems like something they removed from the game, as it should have been an easy carry over when programming this years version since its been there in every version previous.
Any update on this would be great.
Digrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:07 AM   #22
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodi View Post
No point in starting a season until all bugs and rosters are finalized.
I also am taking my sweet time with playing my current season as I don't want to hit the offseason with the possibility of excessive contract demands because of the software version.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Is there any news on Update #2? What it will cover, when it will be released, etc?
mac2298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #24
thespungo
Minors (Single A)

What's most disappointing with these bugs is that not only are they preventing us from starting new games right now, if the past releases are any indication we're going to have to wait 1-2 months from the time the game was released for all the bugs to be corrected before then, and only then, we can finally start using the game on a regular basis.
thespungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #25
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespungo View Post
What's most disappointing with these bugs is that not only are they preventing us from starting new games right now, if the past releases are any indication we're going to have to wait 1-2 months from the time the game was released for all the bugs to be corrected before then, and only then, we can finally start using the game on a regular basis.
Well, to be fair, the developers cannot possibly be made aware of some of these bugs until it hits the app store, then once a bug is identified, the issue has to be analysed and diagnosed before they can even think of fixing it. Once they figure out the problem, they have to work on a solution. Some bugs can be a real pain for developers to iron out, and by the time it's all said and done it could take weeks to fix the bugs. So far, none of the bugs have drastically worsened gameplay, or hindered our ability to play the game, so there's not a ton to complain about. Which bugs in particular are you talking about?
Old 04-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #26
BradC
All Star Starter

RE the facts/quotes: We had to edit the ones in OOTP 16, so they were pulled from MLBM in the meantime. Markus said he wants to put them back.

Update #2 will have final Opening Day rosters, plus any other necessary bug fixes.

RE bug fixes: Please post specifics. I will pass them on to Sebastian. Thanks.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #27
thespungo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2298 View Post
Well, to be fair, the developers cannot possibly be made aware of some of these bugs until it hits the app store, then once a bug is identified, the issue has to be analysed and diagnosed before they can even think of fixing it. Once they figure out the problem, they have to work on a solution. Some bugs can be a real pain for developers to iron out, and by the time it's all said and done it could take weeks to fix the bugs. So far, none of the bugs have drastically worsened gameplay, or hindered our ability to play the game, so there's not a ton to complain about. Which bugs in particular are you talking about?
Contract demands are not right and team budgets are not right -- those are the two biggest for me right now that are preventing me from starting a new game.

It's the same stuff year after year with this team -- they don't have enough manpower to fix these things quickly enough, I get that, but that wouldn't be such a problem if they just got things right the first time. Normally that might be setting too strict a standard, but they messed up things that worked fine last year and were even touted this year as having been improved.

Overall, it just sucks that the new game has been out for a little bit now, but I've barely played it and have gone back to iOOTP 14 until the new one is actually ready to be played.
thespungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #28
wodi
All Star Reserve

I also think the budgets need to be looked at. The payrolls seem right, but the budgets (caps if you will) are too high, they're not consistent with mlb team budgets now.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #29
wodi
All Star Reserve

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428975050.749158.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  231.6 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428975073.042214.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  228.7 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428975084.229937.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  224.1 KB
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #30
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
I also think the budgets need to be looked at. The payrolls seem right, but the budgets (caps if you will) are too high, they're not consistent with mlb team budgets now.
The budgets are not supposed to be consistent with MLB budgets, because nobody knows what the true MLB budgets are. The financial system in OOTP and MLBM are simplified versions if the real thing, the #1 priority is balance. The game calculates the initial budgets and market size based on current payroll, and it is working as intended.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 04-14-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:51 AM   #31
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Contract demands are not right and team budgets are not right -- those are the two biggest for me right now that are preventing me from starting a new game.
In patch #1 these are both the way they are supposed to be. So you can start a new game now.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #32
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

It's the same stuff year after year with this team -- they don't have enough manpower to fix these things quickly enough, I get that, but that wouldn't be such a problem if they just got things right the first time. Normally that might be setting too strict a standard, but they messed up things that worked fine last year and were even touted this year as having been improved.

Overall, it just sucks that the new game has been out for a little bit now, but I've barely played it and have gone back to iOOTP 14 until the new one is actually ready to be played.
Well, contract demands got fixed in update #1. Team budgets were adjusted to how they want them to be, too.

It's pretty hard for any developer to get it right the first time. As I said, they cannot possibly be aware of a lot of these bugs until they release the app and get feedback.

The game will never be "perfect." Because nothing ever is. I suggest you just try to get over it, because in the end, they're not game-ruining problems and not really even bugs.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #33
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
The budgets are not supposed to be consistent with MLB budgets, because nobody knows what the true MLB budgets are. The financial system in OOTP and MLBM are simplified versions if the real thing, the #1 priority is balance. The game calculates the initial budgets and market size based on current payroll, and it is working as intended.
While I get that, it makes the game really unrealistic. For example, take the Reds and Johnny Cueto. He's going to be demanding a contract of 200M+ this winter, likely around 20M per year, and he'll get it. However, it won't be from the Reds, because we've got no money. However, in the game, we have 33M to work with for extensions, meaning we could give him an extension and still have enough left over for another big extension or a decent free agent signing. This seems extremely unrealistic simply because it won't happen. We're maxed out in terms of how much we can spend, highlighted by the offloading of Mat Latos and Alfredo Simon, and the extensions granted to Frazier and Mesoraco in order to cement the amount of guaranteed money that is in the club. The Reds certainly don't have 33M to grant in contract extensions, or else they would have resigned Cueto and Leake and would have been more active this offseason in pursuing free agents.

Also, the Reds certainly don't have a 146M payroll. As I said, last season they set an all-time franchise record with a payroll of 115M. This season, as far as we know, it's less with the offloading of Latos and co. I personally would call a budget of 120M fair, if even generous.

I think a main contributer to why this is such a big issue is that the budgets weren't like this last season. They were similar, but I don't think they were as generous. For example, last season the Astros and Marlins had budgets of 60M, the lowest in the game. This season, not a single team has a budget under 100M. I find it shocking that the Marlins somehow found 70M somewhere to increase their budget to 130M, an increase of more than double. Their budget should definitely be much higher than it was last season, but not that much. It just seems like you were much stricter in the last version, which made the game more challenging and, for me, fun.

Nobody knows the true MLB budgets, but it wouldn't be hard to guestimate them. At the very least, it would be great if, like player ratings, we had the ability of adjusting the budgets in-game.

Last edited by mac2298; 04-14-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #34
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
RE the facts/quotes: We had to edit the ones in OOTP 16, so they were pulled from MLBM in the meantime. Markus said he wants to put them back.

Update #2 will have final Opening Day rosters, plus any other necessary bug fixes.

RE bug fixes: Please post specifics. I will pass them on to Sebastian. Thanks.
Here are a list of specifics. Some are me just being picky, but some I really feel need to be addressed. Those that fall into the 2nd category have been starred for emphasis.

*1. Add in the quotes/facts from iOOTP 2014!!! They were so good!

2. Fix team budgets. For example, the Reds have $150,000,000 in their budget, when in reality last season their payroll was at a record-high $115,000,000.

3. When you demote a player, their morale shouldn't automatically go down. Oftentimes by the end of the season my entire team has those frowny faces, even if we did well and they get game time, because they've been moved up and down for various purposes such as injuries.

*4. Fictional Leagues still have 14 teams in League 1 (AL) and 16 teams in League 2 (NL). It should be 15/15.

*5. Landscape mode with the volume buttons down (iPhone 5) is super buggy. The buttons are unresponsive, and when they do respond it always selects the wrong thing. I know this is a problem because it works fine when the buttons are up.

*6. The new keyboard that was added is really not good. It's extremely difficult to use it accurately, and I almost always mess up what I'm typing. Please, just use the default keyboard like previous versions!

7. Not sure if this is a bug, but there are numerous players in the Amateur Draft that generate with both pitcher and batter positions. Players should be a pitcher or a batter, not both.

8. Another youth issue is the number of high-rated players that appear in the draft. Oftentimes players are good enough to implement into the team immediately, despite the fact that most players require at least 1 season to develop, with rare cases such as Mike Leake requiring 1 of rest following their college season.

Last edited by mac2298; 04-14-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #35
wodi
All Star Reserve

Another thing I've noticed over the years is the randomly generated players usually fall into the same categories.

We see a lot of extreme ground all pitchers but really no fly ball pitchers, I've never seen a made up player with a ground ball ratio lower than 40% but constantly see many with ones over 70%.

Additionally there are a lot of batters with very high avoid k ratings. This clearly suppresses the pitcher strikeouts as more randomly generated players enter the league.

Finally, there are way too many starting pitchers and not enough amateur relievers. This is one factor for cpu bullpens made up of mostly former starters.

I understand the budgets aren't gonna be exact. And that is totally fine. It's just a little odd to give all teams so much extra cap room in addition to their payroll.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #36
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Another thing I've noticed over the years is the randomly generated players usually fall into the same categories.

We see a lot of extreme ground all pitchers but really no fly ball pitchers, I've never seen a made up player with a ground ball ratio lower than 40% but constantly see many with ones over 70%.

Additionally there are a lot of batters with very high avoid k ratings. This clearly suppresses the pitcher strikeouts as more randomly generated players enter the league.

Finally, there are way too many starting pitchers and not enough amateur relievers. This is one factor for cpu bullpens made up of mostly former starters.

I understand the budgets aren't gonna be exact. And that is totally fine. It's just a little odd to give all teams so much extra cap room in addition to their payroll.
I'll comment on the GB%, I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher in real life with either 40% or 70%. One is way too good and another is way too bad. I haven't played enough to notice that trend of 70% GB pitchers, but if that's the case it's certainly a weird occurrence.

I also haven't noticed a huge number of players with avoid K ratings... in fact, in the 3 drafts that I've played through, the batters I drafted (none in the first round, mind you) had pretty bad avoid K ratings.

I've actually noticed that there are too many starters that end up being relievers because, despite good stamina and overall stats, the game says they're not starter quality. I find a number of should-be starters in the draft, but the problem is that only a fraction of them actually have the true potential to start even if their ratings suggest otherwise.

And I agree fully with the last part on budgets. They don't have to be perfect, but they seem way too inflamed. I don't think most teams have the ability to sign a top pitcher in FA, but most budgets suggest otherwise.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #37
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:

Everything mentioned here works as designed.

1) The number of GB / FB pitchers is carefully balanced.
2) The player creationg / development is designed to mirror the modern era (1993-2014), and not just the latest trend of high K numbers.
3) In real life almost all MLB relief pitchers started their pro career as SP but had to switch to the bullpen eventually because they couldn't develop a proper third pitch or were not consistent enough.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #38
phillupi
All Star Reserve

And if I might add the editor allows anyone to change the ratings if you don't agree with them.
Thanks Markus.
phillupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #39
wodi
All Star Reserve

If it is all by design then I can't argue with it.

However, while I agree that yes when pitching prospects are drafted most start as starters and find their way to the bullpen, replicating that in the game (especially where there isn't a true minor league development process in it) is causing a problem in team construction down the line.

These massive amounts of starters infused in the draft, never change to strictly relievers. You're left with a future of mostly starting pitchers. Bullpens become filled with former MAJOR LEAGUE starters and not relievers. I believe the coding of the game is partly to blame for valuing basically all SPs over RPs in general, but other reason is that there are just so many starters that end up in the game because the game never changes their position to reliever.
Yes their position listing changed but the key is their expectation. If a guy expects to be a starter the game treats him as a starter.

This leads to many pitchers who are career starters AND relievers which isn't that common. Not at least to the high frequency in this game.

I've made numerous posts showing how all starters in this game find their way to the bullpen. In iootp2014 every starter in the hall of fame for me by year 2040 had pitched in the bullpen at some point at the end of their career.

Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Randy Johnson, etc, these guys didn't at the end of their careers just move to the bullpen. It doesn't happen like that.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #40
mac2298
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Everything mentioned here works as designed.

1) The number of GB / FB pitchers is carefully balanced.
2) The player creationg / development is designed to mirror the modern era (1993-2014), and not just the latest trend of high K numbers.
3) In real life almost all MLB relief pitchers started their pro career as SP but had to switch to the bullpen eventually because they couldn't develop a proper third pitch or were not consistent enough.
I agree with this... thanks for explaining it. However, the problem is that in a few years, you end up with bullpens with pitchers with insanely high stamina.

Also, is the whole players that are pitchers AND batters/position players by design as well? I don't see how that fits into real life.

Last edited by mac2298; 04-14-2015 at 12:05 PM.