Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #41
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
In what way am I endorsing HINTING that they're in the wrong forum? Read my freaking posts - every single one of them contains the line "tell the poster to post in the right forum." Myself and Big Easy have said the exact same thing. He just mentioned having a mod move the thread before I did.

You know what, I'm done. Wolf, you know I rarely have a problem with you, but right now, you are admirably demonstrating why so many users have you on their ignore lists.
I don't like the way you phrase things. You don't like the way I phrase things.

Irony much?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #42
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
....younger even than you were when you broke your first tooth on a plank of Topps chewing gum.
Geeze didn't think OOTP was meant for users THAT young.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #43
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
You are discussing being a decent human being with a person using the term 'coddling' unironically.
It's a word that can and should be used unironically.

Being a decent human being has nothing to do with coddling people. I would argue that you are not one if you do so, because you're creating false expectations and hindering their growth every time you do it.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #44
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
We do?
Well, seeing how you are the one that started the thread and don't concur, I withdraw my assumption.

I sure know who popped into MY mind when I read it.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #45
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In fact, he did exactly what he was asked not to do just now. A user used his 8th post on the forum to ask a question and Wolf used it as an opportunity to attack the way he phrased it.

I guess he didn't want to 'coddle' him.
I saw that, too, but chose to not jump in. I know this thread has basically turned into a "gang up on Wolf" thread, but I think we need to remember that there are others who aren't always helpful to new forum members or those who rarely post. Wolf is just the most obvious one because we all know him because he's a regular.

I can easily find two examples of threads on the first page of the General Discussions forum where forum users with less than 100 lifetime posts are either dismissive or downright offensive toward the OP. So while Wolf may be the guy we all know for being abrasive (at times), he's far from the only person who could try harder to be more helpful and less confrontational. That's why, if you go way back to my first post in this thread, the first thing I pointed out was that EVERYONE needs to be more helpful, not just veteran members (however you define 'veteran').
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #46
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, seeing how you are the one that started the thread and don't concur, I withdraw my assumption.

I sure know who popped into MY mind when I read it.
I won't tell what pops into my mind when I think of you.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #47
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
-- younger even than you were when you broke your first tooth on a plank of Topps chewing gum.

just have to say I love this description. i have fond memories of opening packs of Topps cards with my brother, and us just kinda looking at each other with an unspoken, "should i actually eat this?"
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #48
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I saw that, too, but chose to not jump in. I know this thread has basically turned into a "gang up on Wolf" thread, but I think we need to remember that there are others who aren't always helpful to new forum members or those who rarely post. Wolf is just the most obvious one because we all know him because he's a regular.

I can easily find two examples of threads on the first page of the General Discussions forum where forum users with less than 100 lifetime posts are either dismissive or downright offensive toward the OP. So while Wolf may be the guy we all know for being abrasive (at times), he's far from the only person who could try harder to be more helpful and less confrontational. That's why, if you go way back to my first post in this thread, the first thing I pointed out was that EVERYONE needs to be more helpful, not just veteran members (however you define 'veteran').
This is pretty much why I'm ignoring any further debate on this topic. By arguing about it, no matter which side we're arguing on, we're proving Joe's original point. I'm going to make a renewed effort to answer questions from newbies as much as I can, and I encourage others to do the same. The easiest way for this issue to go away is to make the "good" posts outnumber the "bad."
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #49
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman2575 View Post
just have to say I love this description. i have fond memories of opening packs of Topps cards with my brother, and us just kinda looking at each other with an unspoken, "should i actually eat this?"
I usually had the same thought....with a "ouch! No I shouldn't have!" Afterwards. Worst was a 10 year old pack (think it was 1982 Topps or something). That thing was on par with a razor on your gums.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #50
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is pretty much why I'm ignoring any further debate on this topic. By arguing about it, no matter which side we're arguing on, we're proving Joe's original point. I'm going to make a renewed effort to answer questions from newbies as much as I can, and I encourage others to do the same. The easiest way for this issue to go away is to make the "good" posts outnumber the "bad."
Great post. This is pretty much all we can do. Hopefully then the "bad" posts will be lost in the shuffle rather than appearing to be so prominent.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #51
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In fact, he did exactly what he was asked not to do just now. A user used his 8th post on the forum to ask a question and Wolf used it as an opportunity to attack the way he phrased it.

I guess he didn't want to 'coddle' him.
He described Commissioner Mode as cheating. I ASKED him about that. No snark, just an honest question. Which has gone unanswered.

If you people consider honest questions to be attacking new users, then we have no common ground.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #52
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
He described Commissioner Mode as cheating. I ASKED him about that. No snark, just an honest question. Which has gone unanswered.

If you people consider honest questions to be attacking new users, then we have no common ground.
You need reading comprehension help if that's how you took the OP's post in that thread.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You need reading comprehension help if that's how you took the OP's post in that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburger View Post
How long does it usually take to become a Major League GM in OOTP, without any commisioner mode cheating?
"Commissioner mode cheating."

Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #54
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"Commissioner mode cheating."
Yup, just what I expected. You've made your point in both threads that you can find fault with any post on these boards. How about you stop hijacking threads and answer people's questions for once? If you want to discuss whether or not commissioner mode is cheating, start your own thread.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #55
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yup, just what I expected. You've made your point in both threads that you can find fault with any post on these boards. How about you stop hijacking threads and answer people's questions for once? If you want to discuss whether or not commissioner mode is cheating, start your own thread.
Because the OP stated outright that using Commissioner Mode was cheating. Sorry, but I can't be accused of hijacking something that the OP writes about in his first sentence.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #56
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

It's hijacking because you didn't answer his question. You didn't even preface it with "I don't know the answer, but..."

That's the very definition of hijacking a thread.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #57
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty amazed at the hypocrisy. Someone with eight posts can make any outrageous throwaway comment they want, but that should be ignored, while an honest question about it by someone with more posts should be attacked

smh

Old 01-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #58
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's hijacking because you didn't answer his question. You didn't even preface it with "I don't know the answer, but..."

That's the very definition of hijacking a thread.
Addressing anything stated by the OP in a thread cannot be considered hijacking. Threadjacking requires the introduction of something new.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #59
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm pretty amazed at the hypocrisy. Someone with eight posts can make any outrageous throwaway comment they want, but that should be ignored, while an honest question about it by someone with more posts should be attacked

smh
Wow. I'm just... I'm just done here. I don't even... I've had arguments with zealots who truly believed the Rapture was coming, or that Dec. 21, 2012 was going to be the apocalypse. And even they never missed the point as badly as you just did.

I apologize to everyone for continuing the argument; this will be my last post in this thread directed at Wolf.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #60
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. I'm just... I'm just done here. I don't even... I've had arguments with zealots who truly believed the Rapture was coming, or that Dec. 21, 2012 was going to be the apocalypse. And even they never missed the point as badly as you just did.

I apologize to everyone for continuing the argument; this will be my last post in this thread directed at Wolf.
I ask an honest question and you overreact to it this severely, and you call me a zealot? You need a mirror.