Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Don't be a brownoser-The Bluenoser Interview

Another Hall of Fame Member
Bluenoser he has a Join Date of Mar 2002
Closing in on 7,400 post and Thanked almost 2,200 times .

Please feel to ask any addition and follow-up questions

When and what version did you start playing OOTP?

Started playing OOTP in 1999, when version1 was released. Haven’t missed any of them.

What feature of the game do you lovemost?

Customization – The bare nuts and bolts ofbaseball are pretty much the same from game to game, but one of the featuresthat make OOTP stand out is the ability for the user to create anything from asimple little world to a full fledged, global (Universal even) thriving worldthat lives not only on the field, but well beyond it. OOTP is really onlylimited by one’s imagination.

What's your favorite baseball team (anyleague)?

Boston Red Sox – I grew up in Nova Scotia,east coast. Back then, we didn’t get baseball coverage here. Only Saturday’snewspaper even carried the standings and leaders. Around 64 or 65 radioimproved and I could pick up night games from Fenway. I fell in love with Yaz,and eventually the Sox.
Dartmouth Moosehead Dry – local team thatplays in the Nova Scotia Senior Baseball League.

How old you?

Closer to 58 than 57.

Where are you originally from?

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Are you a family man?

Yes, been with my wife for 33 years. Wehave 5 children and 6 grandchildren. They’ve all been exposed to OOTP or willbe when old enough.

What do you for a living?

Semi-retired. I served in the Armed Forcesfor 30 years. Unemployed right now but with winter coming I’ll probably go backto work for 4 or 5 months.

Besides OOTP do you have any otherhobbies or interest?

Hiking, camping, outdoor activitiesbasically, and spending as much time as I can with my family.

You make yourself available to the"newbies" and for those who need questions answered why spend timedoing that? What do you get out of it?

As good as OOTP is, it can be over whelming,or even intimidating, for new users. I feel as a veteran player I have aresponsibility to help those new to the game when they get stuck or frustratedand can’t figure things out. If my help gets even one more person playing thegame and enjoying it, then that’s good for OOTP and good for me in the longrun. Word of mouth is a great marketing tool. If people come away with a goodimpression of the game and find help easy to get, that’s what they’ll telltheir friends.

How you answer this next question some will either love you orhate you, but Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, Clemens, Hall-of-Fame or not?

For me the HOF is about numbers, but justas important is the character of the individual. Did those guys put up the numbers? I don’tthink anybody can argue that. Yes, they did. Did they show good character, act in aprofessional manner, did they promote the game, were they honest, forthright,candid and could they be looked upon by fans and admired not only as players,but as people? Imo – No. So, sorry guys, you failed my #2 test – you don’t get in my HOF.

If the OOTP team asked you be aconsultant what will you change, add or remove for new version of the game?

Add more stats, give the Almanac some TLC,and continue to grow storylines. The idea/concept of storylines is an amazingaddition, but there is still plenty of room to grow.

Who was the most influential person in your life that got you into knowing and loving baseball?

Yaz, Yaz, Yaz – my dad was a travellingsalesman, and died at a young age, so sadly had very little influence in mylife. Listening to Yaz on the radio drew me into the game.

Is there any other game or show or bookyour currently enjoying you would like to let us know about?

Being a Canadian, I am and have been a hugehockey fan for as long as I can remember. I purchased FHM, and while it haslots of growing to do, the foundation for an OOTP like experience has been laid,and I have no doubt that FHM will reach the same level of excellence as OOTP. I alsostill play Links 2003 Golf, modded to 1.07.

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 11-21-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Love the answer on the HOF.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What do you for a living?

Semi-retired. I served in the Armed Forcesfor 30 years.
My brother in law is in the RCAF at one of bases that's in Nova Scotia. I don't know which one, eh.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
My brother in law is in the RCAF at one of bases that's in Nova Scotia. I don't know which one, eh.
Either Greenwood (most likely) or Shearwater, which used to be a base on it's own but is an Annex of The Halifax Base now.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
I agree with the HOF answer, but for a different reason.

If all the HOF players had to pass your #2 test, we'd have to throw quite a few out who are already in.....

However, I think those players fail test #1 since the numbers were accumulated through dishonest means.

Clemens is the one who probably would have had HOF numbers without cheating, but I would never vote for him to get in. Bonds may have had a HOF career without the PEDs, but it is less certain and even if it was, he'd get no vote from me. Sosa and McGuire would not even have come close to HOF numbers without the PEDs......

I would, however, vote for Peter Edward Rose, since 1) his issues were not an issue until his playing days were over and 2) in the light of PEDs, betting on your own team to win every night doesn't seem like much of an infraction to me and 3) a 25 year suspension seems long enough, when players only get 50 days for doping......
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
I agree with the HOF answer, but for a different reason.

If all the HOF players had to pass your #2 test, we'd have to throw quite a few out who are already in.....

However, I think those players fail test #1 since the numbers were accumulated through dishonest means.

Clemens is the one who probably would have had HOF numbers without cheating, but I would never vote for him to get in. Bonds may have had a HOF career without the PEDs, but it is less certain and even if it was, he'd get no vote from me. Sosa and McGuire would not even have come close to HOF numbers without the PEDs......

I would, however, vote for Peter Edward Rose, since 1) his issues were not an issue until his playing days were over and 2) in the light of PEDs, betting on your own team to win every night doesn't seem like much of an infraction to me and 3) a 25 year suspension seems long enough, when players only get 50 days for doping......
Agree with the above, but then imo there's a lot in there who don't belong anyway, and I'd have no problem kicking them out.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

A Hall of Fame without Bonds and Clemens is nothing more than a curiosity. It certainly doesn't honour the best players in the game.

I will keep saying until I am blue in the face, to punish players for doing something that was A: not against the rules, and B: both tacitly supported and encouraged by both the teams and the league is hypocrisy at its basest.

People who get caught for PEDs done AFTER the were made explicitly illegal - throw the book at them.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
A Hall of Fame without Bonds and Clemens is nothing more than a curiosity. It certainly doesn't honour the best players in the game.

I will keep saying until I am blue in the face, to punish players for doing something that was A: not against the rules, and B: both tacitly supported and encouraged by both the teams and the league is hypocrisy at its basest.

People who get caught for PEDs done AFTER the were made explicitly illegal - throw the book at them.

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 11-22-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
"5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played."

There's no way "integrity, sportsmanship, character" can allow for PED use, before or after they were made part of the CBA. Especially given that the player's union fought drug testing tooth and nail to the point where the MLB was twenty years or so behind the other major sports.

No loopholes. Bonds did it, Bonds hurt baseball, Bonds hurt other players, Bonds should pay. Forever.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
There's no way "integrity, sportsmanship, character" can allow for PED use, before or after they were made part of the CBA.
I disagree completely and utterly. A player using every legal means to make himself the best player he can possibly be it something that should be lauded, not condemned.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
I disagree completely and utterly. A player using every legal means to make himself the best player he can possibly be it something that should be lauded, not condemned.
Uh, why should baseball have to explicitly make a rule banning something that was illegal?....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Anabolic steroids have been illegal since 1990.

Correction: The use of anabolic steroids for performance enhancement has been illegal since 1990. I believe there needs to be a legitimate medical condition in order to obtain it legally.

Last edited by D-BacksJosh; 11-22-2013 at 12:55 PM.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And injecting dangerous drugs that are illegal and controlled is somehow legal and should be lauded? Buy a clue. Do you think Bonds had a prescription?

"In the U.S., anabolic steroids are Schedule III controlled substances under the Controlled Substances Act, which makes simply possessing of such substances without a prescription, first offense, a federal crime punishable by up to one year in prison."

They were illegal. No way around that.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
Anabolic steroids have been illegal since 1990.

Correction: The use of anabolic steroids for performance enhancement has been illegal since 1990. I believe there needs to be a legitimate medical condition in order to obtain it legally.
They were made illegal in the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988. Bonds didn't start using until the 2000's.

Anyone still want to claim that what he did was legal, or that his illegal cheating showed integrity, sportsmanship or character?

Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Anyone still want to claim that what he did was legal, or that his illegal cheating showed integrity, sportsmanship or character?
Barry Bonds was always about Barry Bonds. His actions are the antithesis of integrity, sportsmanship and character IMO.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
You make yourself available to the"newbies" and for those who need questions answered why spend timedoing that? What do you get out of it?

As good as OOTP is, it can be overwhelming, or even intimidating, for new users. I feel as a veteran player I have a responsibility to help those new to the game when they get stuck or frustrated and can’t figure things out. If my help gets even one more person playing the game and enjoying it, then that’s good for OOTP and good for me in the long run. Word of mouth is a great marketing tool. If people come away with a good impression of the game and find help easy to get, that’s what they’ll tell their friends.
Thanks for doing this.

I used to do this quite a bit as well and feel the same way. Not everyone feels they need to give something back. Kudos to you.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

They don't. See gambling and the 1919 World Series, and possibly (I can't find if gambling was outlawed for players for the NAtional League) the 1877 Louisville Grays

And how did an interview thread get morphed into MLB drug policy?

PT22

Last edited by canadiancreed; 11-22-2013 at 01:28 PM.
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
And how did an interview thread get morphed into MLB drug policy?
Yeah, I kinda wondered this myself....
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Steroids were not against the rules of mlb until 2001.

Before that, they were not only not against the rules, they were encouraged.

Want to tell me that Bonds and Clemens weren't already Hall of Fame caliber by 2001?

Look, people make judgments about people's behaviour all the time. As canadiancreed (I think) was trying to remind us, there was a time when players openly gambled on games. (Though I think there is a BIG difference between a player trying to play better and one that is trying to play worse).

Where I have an issue with hypocrisy is when you have players who are encouraged to do something by the teams they play for and are then treated like pariahs when it comes out that they did just that.

As I said above, there are anti-PED rules in place now, for a little over a decade. I feel little sympathy when a player gets caught taking them after that date. (Sorry Ryan Braun...) When someone is taken out and pilloried for taking them when they were both allowed and encouraged, then I have an issue.

In the case of Clemens and Bonds, you have the players who were arguably the best ever at their jobs and are having that taken from them.

Do we strip Ed Walsh of his career records because the spitball was outlawed after the fact? Hardly. Heck, we don't even strip people like Gaylord Perry and Don Drysdale of thier records when they were throwing it when it WAS illegal.

But then, that is one of the publicly approved methods of cheating, I guess. Baseball fans are funny sometimes.

Last edited by rpriske; 11-22-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #20
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

And I just saw the last post that went up while I was typing mine.

I agree. I will step aside. Back to saying justifiably nice things about Bluenoser.