Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #41
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
David Ortiz rarely can score from 2nd base on a base hit to left field - expecially at Fenway. He does it ALL the time in OOTP.

Outside of that, drop the blankie, change your diaper and prove I'm wrong.
OOTP does not know players by name so the game doesn't know who David Ortiz is and if he should score from second. The game can only go by the ratings and the game probably averages out on the number of players that score from second. There is no bug here just basic law of averages working.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #42
tomwolf2008
Major Leagues

Quote:
David Ortiz rarely can score from 2nd base on a base hit to left field - expecially at Fenway. He does it ALL the time in OOTP.

The burden of proof should be on the person who make the accusation (pardon me using the strong word), so you should be the one that show us the data, like "OOTP MLB player scored X% of times from 2nd on a base hit to LF and in the real world MLB player scored Y% of time and Y is much lower than X, then you have a point. Otherwise, you have no proof. BTW, how many times David Ortiz scord from 2nd on a base hit to left this year? Do you know? If you don't, then how do you know it's "rarely"? Human memory can be faulty and it's really unreliable. Now, how many times are "all the time" in OOTP? It's not 100% that's for sure, people in the other thread shows you pitcture as proof, if you forgot, I can show you again, here:

If you want to see other images again, here is the original thread:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...n-t-right.html

So again, burden of proof is on you, when you say "base running is not right", you should be the one come up with the proof and prove us wrong.
tomwolf2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #43
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

nm

Last edited by SandMan; 11-13-2013 at 05:08 PM.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #44
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

To the OP: Yes, there is skill involved. Have a nice day!

Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #45
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
While I agree with you 100%, if you're going to ban someone for calling the game a piece of s**t, then you also ban someone for calling them a dumb mother****.

You can't nitpik where you're going apply rules against free speech, either it's all or nothing.
True.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
I don't mind whoever this person is posting something negative about the game here, even if it is contrived. If he gets his kicks on getting negative responses from people then so be it. If the comment is false then it will be refuted, so I don't see how it will effect the game negatively. IMO people shouldn't get banned, or have their threads closed for speaking their mind either way.
True.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Right, because for every troll (whether this OP is a troll or not), there are a lot more "negative" posts that either bring up a legit problem and/or lead to fruitful discussion.
And true. So much so that I feel now that I spoke intemperately in my last post. Not concerning the OP, but the principles of which you speak. I just hope that new people read these threads far enough to find where experienced people expose such statements as, to use the words again, uninformed or trollish.

This Accipter, he had no compunctions about shooting from the lip though, did he? Is that a talent, do you think, albeit a negative one? To just say anything without thought or justification, to satisfy his ego or craving to be negative about something in order to seem significant?

I'm too thoughtful at times, as in how I felt after posting what I did and reading these responses. What is it like to be thoughtless and dumb?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #46
tejdog1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful1212 View Post
When my team is doing well, it's all skill. On the other hand, when it's playing poorly, it's all bad luck.
Agreed.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #47
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I believe the world is donut-shaped and carried on the back of a giant space hamster that does laps around the sun while dancing the Hokey Pokey. And if you can't prove I'm wrong, I must be right. All hail the space hamster!

^ This is what you sound like.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #48
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I believe the world is donut-shaped and carried on the back of a giant space hamster that does laps around the sun while dancing the Hokey Pokey. And if you can't prove I'm wrong, I must be right. All hail the space hamster!

^ This is what you sound like.
We're sorry, the correct answer was "while dancing the Hamster Dance."

Do do do do do do do DO DOO do do do DOOOO
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #49
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If you want to bring up legitimate problems that you believe the game has, you're more than welcome. But you can save the trolling comments for other message boards. Clean it up or move along.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah **** this game, I'm going back to hardball on the c64.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #51
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yeah **** this game, I'm going back to hardball on the c64.

Man, loved that game. Best part was the c64 controller slots fit with Atari joysticks!

Also:
Attached Images
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #52
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, let's take a look at this post, now.

As has been pointed out, what do you mean by "He does it ALL the time?" You have seen the game logs of 81 games played in Fenway and have documented that Ortiz is successful 100% (the definition of ALL) of the time in that situation? If you have seen it only, let's say, a few times, does that mean you are exaggerating but nonetheless are willing to criticize the game on a flimsy supposition? Or have you just pulled the entire idea out of your rear end?

Yes, I am cranky and I really don't know why I keep opening this thread only to be further aggravated. But now that I have, why don't you drop your blankie and change your diaper? What besides anonymity gives you the right to talk to another forum member in such a manner? Grow up.

EDIT: I've got to stay out of this thread before my Ignore List (which just went +1) gets any longer.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 11-14-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #53
Robmb
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
Newsflash: Most of life is luck.

Luck being born into the right circumstances, luck having the sufficient mental capacity to recognize issues and make changes and select the right choices, luck having people who love you who will mentor you, luck not having debilitating mental or physical challenges or diseases, luck having the grace and equanimity to accept the things you can't change. Hardly anybody has all of these; some people have none of these. But even if you do have all of these, you still need luck when you push the right buttons and still not have something totally come out of the blue and screw up your plan. Because that happens, too.

It takes maturity to understand how subject to luck life is, to thank God or the stars or karma or whatever for the good luck you have, and to accept as the purview of luck the things that you plan so carefully for that still go against you.

Some people expect to control everything about their lives, and rage when things don't go as planned. Those people can't be reached. If they're lucky, they'll get touched by an angel or whatever and they'll finally understand. Until then, you can only smile at them and then attend to your own affairs.
Outstanding post!
Robmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #54
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Good news, everyone!

I just finished testing the new patch, and it has successfully eliminated all instances of random luck.

hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #55
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
Good news, everyone!

I just finished testing the new patch, and it has successfully eliminated all instances of random luck.

So the luck is all non-random now? Awesome, that's the best kind.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #56
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
Good news, everyone!

All I could think of.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #57
jonesy1049
Bat Boy

I am very new to this game but I would have to say virtually every simulation I have ever played is a matter of luck. (For years I played Papyrus' NASCAR racing simulations, there is nothing worse than being on Lap 285 of 400 and having the AI wreck in front of you and take you out of a race. I learned a lot about how to take the good with the bad when that would happen.) Just because you do everything right in life doesn't guarantee a result.

You cannot program a simulation of a game played by human beings, 25 of them per team, 30 teams, 162 games a year and have it spit out results strictly based on numerical values. It would be predictable and boring. There would be no art in it, nothing to learn from it. The fact that the program will give you "bad luck" occasionally is a GREAT part of any game.

Baseball is the hardest game to play consistently at a high level for a long time. The skills can just disappear and the mental grind can crush even the strongest mind. So yeah, there should be guys who just don't play as well as their rankings.

If you get screwed, enjoy it, it's part of life, better in a baseball simulation than your mortgage or the stock market!!
jonesy1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #58
jonesy1049
Bat Boy

Quote:

Luck being born into the right circumstances, luck having the sufficient mental capacity to recognize issues and make changes and select the right choices, luck having people who love you who will mentor you, luck not having debilitating mental or physical challenges or diseases, luck having the grace and equanimity to accept the things you can't change. Hardly anybody has all of these; some people have none of these. But even if you do have all of these, you still need luck when you push the right buttons and still not have something totally come out of the blue and screw up your plan. Because that happens, too.

It takes maturity to understand how subject to luck life is, to thank God or the stars or karma or whatever for the good luck you have, and to accept as the purview of luck the things that you plan so carefully for that still go against you.

Some people expect to control everything about their lives, and rage when things don't go as planned. Those people can't be reached. If they're lucky, they'll get touched by an angel or whatever and they'll finally understand. Until then, you can only smile at them and then attend to your own affairs.
Beautiful Post.

Reminds me of something my father used to say to me, "The only thing you will ever have in life that is truly yours and yours alone are your mistakes."

I always took that to mean the rest is just a combination of effort on your own behalf, luck and the support of others.

Last edited by jonesy1049; 11-14-2013 at 03:36 PM.
jonesy1049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #59
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post

All I could think of.
Exactly what I had in mind when I was saying it.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #60
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

awesome! but I can say it shorter

luck is preparation mated with opportunity

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote