Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #61
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
nm

What? You want a piece of me tough guy?

j/k

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #62
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Honestly, the people who rail against Steam because they've had issues with it in the past sound as ridiculous as the trolls who post on here shouting that their game crashed so OOTP sucks.

OOTP.
Agreed with the entire post but this is the part that I'd like to respond to. After several years of gaming with Steam I have had a grand total of zero problems.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #63
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Honestly, the people who rail against Steam because they've had issues with it in the past sound as ridiculous as the trolls who post on here shouting that their game crashed so OOTP sucks.

Really? You're going to be that narrow-minded? No one is asking you to use Steam. They're asking you to do something that will make OOTP Developments money. If you care about this game at all, it shouldn't matter what platform that money comes through. Here's a newsflash: Steam is one of the most wildly successful video game distribution platforms EVER. Not voting for OOTP simply so Steam won't have it isn't going to hurt Steam in the least. But it WILL hurt Markus, Andreas, and all the wonderful people who have made this game the greatest sports sim on the planet.

So take your heads out of your rear ends and think about it logically. Let's say, hypothetically, that getting OOTP on Steam would generate, say, ten thousand dollars for both parties. Without that ten thousand dollars, Steam does just fine! It keeps chugging along, churning out millions upon millions in profit. Meanwhile, OOTP - which, need I remind you, is NOT a multi-million dollar enterprise - is now out ten thousand dollars that could have gone towards improving the game.

No one's asking you to support Steam. They're asking you to support OOTP.

You made your point, I respect your point of view.

Try respecting others point of view.

Like every other thread on this forum, it has to turn personal because someone doesn't like what someone else does.

Markus asked for votes.

Some voted, some didn't.

Now the lectures are flying from both sides.

Then the insults start. One person calls people who don't like steam idiots, another calls them trolls.

Look in the mirror

And MOVE ON - you've all made your useless points and haven't swayed the other side one bit.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #64
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
You made your point, I respect your point of view.

Try respecting others point of view.

Like every other thread on this forum, it has to turn personal because someone doesn't like what someone else does.

Markus asked for votes.

Some voted, some didn't.

Now the lectures are flying from both sides.

Then the insults start. One person calls people who don't like steam idiots, another calls them trolls.

Look in the mirror

And MOVE ON - you've all made your useless points and haven't swayed the other side one bit.
If you think I'm going to keep arguing after a three-paragraph vent, you don't really know me. I say my peace and move on (usually). This is simply a clarification:

I do respect all points of view... if they're made with a logical reasoning behind them. If someone says "I don't like Politician X because he's clearly Elvis Presley in disguise," I'm probably going to ridicule them for it. And the argument of "I won't vote for OOTP because it will be supporting Steam" is also patently ridiculous. If you don't like Steam, that's fine. I never said that everyone should love it. But Steam doesn't care one way or the other if they get OOTP on their platform, so that's a crappy reason to deny the company money. That's all I'm saying.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #65
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Pssst. Don't mean to interrupt, but I just supported OOTPB on Steam Greenlight!

- Bru

Old 10-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #66
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
I'm not sure how voting for OOTP on Greenlight will help Steam in any way. If it helps get OOTP added to Steam, yes, Valve will make money from the sales, but is that such a huge deal? In the long run, the additional revenue for OOTP will enable Markus and Andreas to add more great features to the game - I think that will greatly outweigh any benefit for Valve, in the grand scheme of things.
I agree and that's saying something because I used to be as Steam-averse as the fellow that you were answering. I have warmed up to it in the past year or so (allowing me to vote for OOTPB on Greenlight) but I still take a substantial amount of comfort in this statement by Markus:
Quote:
And don't worry: we'll continue to sell our games directly from our website and will NOT make them Steam-exclusive.
I hope this never changes. I will STILL prefer OOTPB to be downloadable directly to my laptop without the interference posed by Steam. OK, so they are the only way to get Civ V and I put up with them. However, I like dealing with OOTPD directly and I always will.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 10-25-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #67
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I tried to vote, but was required to register.

Tried to register, but never got a chance to vote for OOTPB.

Sorry, Markus.

It's not just a case of going to the website and clicking on the Vote button.

If you know precise steps to register your vote, post it and I will try again.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #68
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I tried to vote, but was required to register.

Tried to register, but never got a chance to vote for OOTPB.

Sorry, Markus.

It's not just a case of going to the website and clicking on the Vote button.

If you know precise steps to register your vote, post it and I will try again.
It's been pointed out before, but you have to actually be a Steam customer to vote on Greenlight. Otherwise, it would be too easy for a company to create a whole bunch of profiles to inflate their votes.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #69
Shucker
Minors (Double A)

Done
Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #70
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Done! I buy all my beloved Paradox games through Steam. It'll be nice to add OOTP to the games library.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #71
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Done! I buy all my beloved Paradox games through Steam.
Me too!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #72
eddyvegasgames
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I voted, and I wonder if I get a Steam key for my current version of OOTP 14 if the game does make it in.

Really don't get the Steam hate. True, when it first came out, Steam was universally despised because you could only get 2 games on it, Half-Life and Half-Life 2. People railed against the invasive online DRM, which today is quite commonplace and can be even more intrusive than Steam ever was (hello Diablo 3, SimCity 5 and Settlers 7). And it was buggy and slow, like Origin and Uplay are now. But that was years ago. Today it's a very smooth experience, and it is by far the best and biggest online portal to buy games out there. In 2013, it does not deserve to be railed against, because quite frankly, there's very little to rail against.

-Eddy
Old 10-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #73
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
If you have any desire at all for OOTP to grow at a quicker pace than it's current development cycle, then there can be no question as to giving this a 'yes' vote.

In fact I think getting the game on Steam is the single biggest event that can happen for this series.
The current development pace is hampered by a lack of money and development hours.
Steam is by far the largest digital distribution channel. Getting the game on there would open up many more sales opportunities that the franchise would otherwise not have.
If the game makes it to Steam then the chance of being able to hire additional developers is a much more realistic possibility.

If things like graphics, sound, an owner mode, stadium creator etc are ever going to become reality then I believe that the development staff will have to become larger than just Markus and whomever else he can round up on a yearly basis.

I truely believe this game can become as large of a franchise as Football Manager. Football Manager is able to achieve the scale and the volume of sales it receives because it has a full time staff of dozens (if not over a hundred) as well as a multi million dollar development budget.

I personally want to see OOTP have the opportunity to grow at a faster pace. I think the franchise has pretty much reached the limit of what it can do with only one full time worker and a handful of part time helpers.

So my point is, even if you do not like Steam, have no wish to ever use Steam and would not ever consider purchasing OOTPD products on Steam, then you should still be a proponent of having the game on Steam.

Steam will basically allow the game you love to make use of resources from other users without you ever having to partake in using a distribution service that you don't like.

There really is no reason at all to vote 'No' or not vote at all.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #74
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyvegasgames View Post
I voted, and I wonder if I get a Steam key for my current version of OOTP 14 if the game does make it in.

Really don't get the Steam hate. True, when it first came out, Steam was universally despised because you could only get 2 games on it, Half-Life and Half-Life 2. People railed against the invasive online DRM, which today is quite commonplace and can be even more intrusive than Steam ever was (hello Diablo 3, SimCity 5 and Settlers 7). And it was buggy and slow, like Origin and Uplay are now. But that was years ago. Today it's a very smooth experience, and it is by far the best and biggest online portal to buy games out there. In 2013, it does not deserve to be railed against, because quite frankly, there's very little to rail against.

-Eddy
The DRM thing doesn't even make any sense now. As you say, compared to a lot of other DRM it's not very invasive at all. You can play offline for long periods of time for one thing.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #75
clamel
All Star Starter

Why bring in Steam ???
This (OOTP) will (sooner or later) be controlled by Steam.
Steam doesn´t do anything that doesn´t support that business idea of controlling games over the internet.
It will bring in a controller over OOTP when and how it will be releasing. The idea is of course good, but just look at many of the big ones on the internet. Google, Yahoo and similar. They have grown from someone who helped to centers that actually controll the flow of everything. Steam is similar, since nothing pops up unless it has a money flow coming in behind.

The big question is if OOTP needs Steam to launch new product like the Hockey game. Sometimes one have to give away certain control of ones company and the way it´s run, just to get perhaps a bigger win in the end. If the call is the correct one only Markus know in the end (or over the years).

Whats up is how much Markus and OOTP give up to get a foot into Steam ?
Nothing is for free....

The fact remains that some problems have been present with Steam over their first years, but of course everything get better. Steam is getting better and more powerful and controlling. Anyone who believes no and that Steam is only for the best of the gamers is really out in the deep. Believe me I know. Just having perhaps over 50 million accounts today and still growing Steam is a growing gigant. Steam is about to have full control of the distribution of games, and in that everyone knows that someone who have almost 80-90 % control really sets the rules, for better or worse.

The ones against Steam have their reasons and they should be respected so do the ones loving Steam.
One can´t help bring up the case that to vote one has to register. Another issue of Steam control, but I guess like other said before it´s the time we are living in at the present.

Markus is probably taking this road because it´s a business like strong issue at this very moment. Hopefully we all gain on it in the long run.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #76
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamel View Post
Why bring in Steam ???
Steam doesn´t do anything that doesn´t support that business idea of controlling games over the internet.
Can you give some examples of games that were once as independent as OOTP but are now entirely controlled by Steam?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #77
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Can you give some examples of games that were once as independent as OOTP but are now entirely controlled by Steam?
No, sorry. I made that part up.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #78
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Agreed with the entire post but this is the part that I'd like to respond to. After several years of gaming with Steam I have had a grand total of zero problems.
I had one problem. With one game. Once. They fixed it overnight. That's out of 400+ games and since Steam started.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #79
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamel View Post
Why bring in Steam ???
Like SI and FM are now "controlled" by Steam? Sorry, but that's just a ridiculously uninformed statement.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #80
carmah
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Get it now on sale, you will not regret it.
Well, I did get it. And wow, is it overwhelming at first look. But I know I'm gonna like it, thank you for prodding me in the right direction .
Closed Thread