Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #81
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
C'mon people. If you are going to use the ellipsis, please use it correctly and only apply 3 dots.
Spoken like a true English major or journalist. (I'm the former and used to be the latter, as well.)
Old 08-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #82
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

I can remember when Wolf did not want sound implemented in OOTP.
Wolfie also does not care for the scouting system too.

Wolfie just wants to turn everything off.

(I'm just busting your chops Wolf. )
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #83
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think the 'The Wolf' feature of this message board should be turned off. It produces many negative events with no possible positive events of equal probability or value.
I get the same problem with spleens. Please turn yourself off.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #84
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Getting back to Andreas OP, I agree with his comments. Constructive criticism can only enhance OOTP. As a parent myself, I personally did not care for the "children die" SL and was glad it was removed. But I can understand those who wanted it to remain as well.

That being said I don't think Andreas comments were an invitation to pile on Wolf, but to re-emphasize that dialogue should remain open and positive. I've always said that what makes this company stand apart from the other larger gaming companies is the developer's responsiveness to the user community.

As one who prefers historical fictional play I personally would love to see SL enhanced to reflect the era you're in. But I know that probably takes a backseat to other areas of the game that need to be enhanced/improved.

Andreas, thanks for the thoughts and I don't quite remember you being so vocal when we met in NYC back in May!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson

Last edited by ashantewarrier; 08-23-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #85
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashantewarrier View Post
I can remember when Wolf did not want sound implemented in OOTP.
Wolfie also does not care for the scouting system too.

Wolfie just wants to turn everything off.

(I'm just busting your chops Wolf. )
I turn ratings off too. Color me a minimalist.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #86
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I am continually upset by your overuse of periods. I am a person. Are you going to change to suit me?
I thought you were canine, but if you will quit being an annoying presence on these boards, I'll never use a period again
Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #87
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
I thought you were canine, but if you will quit being an annoying presence on these boards, I'll never use a period again
It's not the use, it's the misuse.

I really don't try to be annoying. I just try to be honest and thorough.

Did anyone notice that none of my four questions about storylines have ever been answered by anyone?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #88
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

Quote:

Did anyone notice that none of my four questions about storylines have ever been answered by anyone?
This right here is our point. You never let up and continue to beat and beat and beat.......(done on purpose)

I think you've said this at least 3 or 4 times in this thread.

I honestly could not stand when you would jump in on a thread and the only thing you would contribute would be to say "TURN STORYLINES OFF". How does that contribute?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #89
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKomrska15 View Post
This right here is our point. You never let up and continue to beat and beat and beat.......(done on purpose)

I honestly could not stand when you would jump in on a thread and the only thing you would contribute would be to say "TURN STORYLINES OFF". How does that contribute?
It would solve the problem that people in the thread were having with storylines.

But I won't do that anymore. I still think that neither storylines nor league evolution are ready for prime time, though.

Forgive me for wondering why I can't get four simple questions answered. By anyone.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #90
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

1. What is the official purpose for storylines?

To tell stories(insert some dots here)duh(more dots)

2. Why have there been so many severely punitive outcomes from storyline stories (loss of market size, fan interest, etc.)?

The severity of the penalties of the type you mention in parentheses have been reduced(dots)

3. Why are there so very few positive outcomes to storylines?

Because newsworthy stories are rarely positive in real life(dots)

4. Did the OOTP design staff believe that there was insufficient randomness in the game before adding storylines?

It was not to add randomness, but to add variety(dots)and to attempt to make the OOTP world seem to be populated by actual persons rather than sets of ratings(dots)
Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #91
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was not to add randomness, but to add variety(dots)and to attempt to make the OOTP world seem to be populated by actual persons rather than sets of ratings(dots)
Which is why I wish to see this sort of idea expanded to the league level. Interesting things have happened at the league level in baseball history... might be fun to have some of those recreated...
Old 08-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #92
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Which is why I wish to see this sort of idea expanded to the league level. Interesting things have happened at the league level in baseball history... might be fun to have some of those recreated...
I thought that's what league evolution is intended to do, no?
Old 08-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #93
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1. What is the official purpose for storylines?

To tell stories(insert some dots here)duh(more dots)

2. Why have there been so many severely punitive outcomes from storyline stories (loss of market size, fan interest, etc.)?

The severity of the penalties of the type you mention in parentheses have been reduced(dots)

3. Why are there so very few positive outcomes to storylines?

Because newsworthy stories are rarely positive in real life(dots)

4. Did the OOTP design staff believe that there was insufficient randomness in the game before adding storylines?

In no particular order:

1. Storylines have overwhelmingly negative outcomes. Real baseball does not. Right now turning storylines on can be a handicap. It certainly can be depressing or upsetting (see the recent thread on the death of a child).

2. The punitive outcomes were reduced, but still exist, and are unbalanced. Why?

3. Storylines significantly increase the randomness in a league. You are telling me that no one considered this or cares about it?

4. If the purpose was to tell stories, then why so many punitive outcomes? You can tell entertaining stories without them.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #94
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In no particular order:

1. Storylines have overwhelmingly negative outcomes. Real baseball does not. Right now turning storylines on can be a handicap. It certainly can be depressing or upsetting (see the recent thread on the death of a child).

2. The punitive outcomes were reduced, but still exist, and are unbalanced. Why?

3. Storylines significantly increase the randomness in a league. You are telling me that no one considered this or cares about it?

4. If the purpose was to tell stories, then why so many punitive outcomes? You can tell entertaining stories without them.
Don't bite my head off, but can you explain number 3?
Old 08-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #95
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKomrska15 View Post

Quote:
It would solve the problem that people in the thread were having with storylines.
That's what you're doing wrong, Wolf. What you suggest is like suggesting to quit playing OOTP when somebody found a bug.

Quote:
Forgive me for wondering why I can't get four simple questions answered.
By anyone.
And that's the next part of your "method". As soon as people ask you to stop trolling, you get pseudo-serious, behave demonstratively well and as if you're the most constructive forum user of all.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #96
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In no particular order:

In a particularly particular order:

1) Support your statement that newsworthy stories in real baseball of the type that could be covered in a storyline thread are not mostly negative(dots)as the prevailing notion is the opposite, the burden of proof is on you(dots)

2) Support your statement that the punitive results are unbalanced(dots)what does that mean?

3) Do you understand the statistical implications of randomness?(dots)in a typical OOTP season there are probably in the neighborhood of a quarter million events influenced by random die rolls(dots)adding a handful more would not fall under the statistically significant umbrella(dots)

4) This is just a rewording of the first question, so see number one for the answer(dots)
Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #97
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

The punitive outcome for your team can be seen as a positive for the rest of the league or another player in your organization.

Imagine if there was no punitive storyline for Wally Pipp. There would be no positive one for Lou Gehrig.

Also the reason there are more negative storylines is likely that they are developed by people and people are often drawn to the macabre. If the developers specifically requested positive storylines be contributed then we'd get more.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Old 08-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #98
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
I thought that's what league evolution is intended to do, no?
Sort of. League evolution couldn't, for example, have a club's park suffer a fire or other structural issue, forcing the club to play on the road for an extended period of time. (True story: in 1994 problems at the Kingdome would have forced Seattle to play the remainder of its games on the road. As it happened the strike cut the season short, but had it not, the Mariners would have ended up playing a 30-game road trip.)
Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #99
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

EDIT- Scratch that. Reread and understood.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #100
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Point the first - I like storylines

Point the second - I find the Wold as annoying as the next guy does. I had him blocked for quite some time

Having said both points, the list of suggestions he posted a couple of pages back was actually pretty good. Those would be (some) good guidelines in making storylines better.
Closed Thread