Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #81
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up here in Canada View Post
Has he asked of this favor before?
You asking this question multiple times is bizarre. I don't think it's a favor, I think it's good business to do that, and it's not new. Look up word of mouth marketing. I don't see how doing that means you are in financial trouble, and I'd be more worried if they didn't do that.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #82
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
You asking this question multiple times is bizarre.
I asked this question a SECOND time because I felt like it needed to be asked again. The subject matter that initially prompted the question in the first place was revisited in the discussion.

I looked up word of mouth marketing. Thank you, I learned something new today in the process.

Another question that I asked TWICE (well, to be fair, the second time I asked a person this question I told them not to bother answering it) was why OOTP had plans like this; the elephant in the room:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ll-update.html
Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 AM   #83
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I asked this question a SECOND time because I felt like it needed to be asked again. The subject matter that initially prompted the question in the first place was revisited in the discussion.

I looked up word of mouth marketing. Thank you, I learned something new today in the process.

Another question that I asked TWICE (well, to be fair, the second time I asked a person this question I told them not to bother answering it) was why OOTP had plans like this; the elephant in the room:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ll-update.html
I'll bite... First of all that thread is five years old. The gaming climate has changed a lot since then. To answer why would OOTP have plans for an online game? Obviously Markus and company thought they could increase their revenue stream at the time. I believe FM and others were also pushing a new "online" version at that time. I'd wager the reason that project was scrapped is the online capability of OOTP is too good. Why would people pay extra for something they can have for free. I'm sure there is a few people who would pay for it, but likely not enough to justify the man hours needed to complete the project or the hosting of servers.

While there are hundred of leagues out there, I also feel that that majority of OOTP players are likely playing Solo leagues. I don't have statistics to back that up, but I have been around this community for over a decade and that's the impression I get.

So I disagree with the notion that OOTP needs an online only product to survive and I also doubt that we'll see an online only product any time in the near future. I never say never but that's my two cents.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #84
raginhood
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
Why do you think that it is a troubling sign if Markus asks people to tell their friends about the game? It is the cheapest way to get more people interested in the game. Word of mouth is a good way to advertise the game.
It's also a good way to DESTROY a game and a game company too. Just look back in the past of great developers being put out on the streets from "word of mouth" and other things.

Even the guy who did "Pure Sim Baseball" can tell you about it.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #85
Joe Canadian
All Star Starter

Quote:
I never came to that conclusion.
This post suggests that is what you were implying. That in-order for the game to continue being a success it would have to make the changes you were suggesting.

Quote:
Has he asked of this favor before?
Yes. This company has released 13 versions of this game with one main source of advertising EVERY year, word of mouth. If the request has become more explicit over the years it's probably because of all the new people that are showing up that don't understand the roots of the game, and how the game is advertised... like yourself.

Quote:
I didn't.

Uh oh, did I break the three posts in a row rule?
Well, I asked you why you thought the game needed this "online" feature you wanted and you replied with that anecdote. If that isn't what you meant, I'm more than willing to here the real reason you made those statements earlier in the thread.

Also, there is no three post rule. But it's considered good board etiquette when you plan your posts out a bit. So if you're replying to three people, or one post in this case (though I expect you did this to spark a reaction out of someone), that you make one post instead of three. Like I said, it isn't a rule, just good etiquette. It keeps the board clean and makes it easier for people to reply to you.

Quote:
Not exactly.
I was basing that conclusion off of this post. You seemed open to the possibility that your assumptions were incorrect. Now you seem to be trolling.

Fan of the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, IceCaps, Lakers, and Broncos.

Last edited by Joe Canadian; 03-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #86
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I just finished another great nine innings of MLB 13: The Show. The critical moment of the game was a dropped third strike combined with a throwing error by the catcher with the runner safe at second.

It's a great graphical game of baseball. It has great stadiums, uniforms and announcers. You can only play the current MLB and the franchise stat tracking isn't great, but the game plays a good game of baseball and you can play it totally as the GM/manager in pitch-by-pitch mode. If you like graphics with your baseball this is as good as it gets. I strongly recommend it.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #87
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadringer View Post
Is it just me or is it awfully quiet around here so close to release?
It's just you
Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #88
deadringer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
It's just you
It certainly got busier eh?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #89
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
This post suggests that is what you were implying. That in-order for the game to continue being a success it would have to make the changes you were suggesting.
You stated that I came to the conclusion 'that the company is in some sort of financial difficulties'.

Not the same here. Read closely...you're really struggling with this.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #90
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Yes. This company has released 13 versions of this game with one main source of advertising EVERY year, word of mouth. If the request has become more explicit over the years it's probably because of all the new people that are showing up that don't understand the roots of the game, and how the game is advertised... like yourself.
Yeah, right.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #91
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Well, I asked you why you thought the game needed this "online" feature you wanted and you replied with that anecdote. If that isn't what you meant, I'm more than willing to here the real reason you made those statements earlier in the thread.
Go back and read things over again. You're getting confused.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #92
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Now you seem to be trolling.
I'm not trolling. There have been some good posts by other members of the forum. You're reading comprehension skills leave something to be desired. I'm not going to respond to your posts anymore because they are nothing more than a waste of my time.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #93
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Up here, I'm going to help you.

When you go to quote someone, you can put the tags in a single post multiple times, with space between, so you can quote one person multiple times in a single response. That is how you can avoid the 3-4 post responses to single individuals.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #94
kq76
Global Moderator

Thread closed because evidently some people are bored and posting just to stir things up. From what I can tell, OOTP14 and the company are doing just fine.
Closed Thread