Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Implementing new 26 active 28 expanded rules, consequences?

This may be a kind of rambling post as I'm having a lot of thoughts running through my mind

Just ended my season and intend to put in the new rules for rosters, IL, and waiver trades. Then I started to think about possible consequences and how OOTP will handle them. I would guess many have done this and would be able to comment?

I thought about making the change at start of preseason. My thinking is this is a clean change as a new season starts but.... On the day the switch is made my league is using a 40 man active roster. So, for the active roster to be reduced to 28 will players have to pass through waivers or use options in January?

Maybe the best time to make the 40 to 28 change is during ST? This could avoid players, possibly, having to use options\waivers twice in the same season, IE once at start of preseason when rule is changed and again when they go to ST and are sent down? Or if waivers\options were used in January would the "already used option this year" flag be set and stop a ST double dip?

Then I wonder how does going to 28 man active affect the 40 man and spring training? Old rule is 40 man is the active roster and all players go to ST with options in play for those that need to be sent down. Will OOTP still use, in effect, the 40 man as an active roster for ST, IE calling up all players and requiring options or waivers as before?

Interested on what others have done, how they did it, and the results.
Thanks.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Can't comment on the 1st part of your question (conversion ), as I started my league from scratch with 26 man roster, b4 inaugural draft was even held.

For 2nd part - The AI will still use 40 man (or whatever you have it set to as this can be changed) same as always.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

It might be worth creating a save, then trying both scenarios to see how it works out. Since it is just for the start of the season it shouldn't take too long to compare them.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the 28 rule is just for the expanded September rosters, which used to be 40. You'll want to change your expanded roster setting from 40 to 28. Don't change the number for the actual 40 man roster rule.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Teams will still fill up to the full secondary (40-man) roster limit in the off-season, so I would actually suggest the best time to do it would be at the start of the off-season, so that teams can plan their off-season around the 26-man active roster. The 28-man expanded roster doesn't come into play except during the period it's in effect (September 1 through the end of the season).
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #6
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Thanks everyone for the quick replies
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
andyhdz
All Star Starter

The Japanese league has 26 man rosters but they mostly use it for the extra pitcher since they use 6 man rotations but since the default setup in the mlb is to account for 25 players the 26th man in the ootp mlb is seen as a bonus player. Ive tried it in my league and it works fine. The 26th man is used to fill up pretty much the best man left so sometimes I'll see an extra reliever, infielder, outfielder or even 3rd catcher.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
slugga27
All Star Starter

I’ve been using 26 players since OOTP 19, with the extra players forced to be a pitcher. Until better AI bullpen management arrives, I won’t deviate from forcing a 13th pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #9
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Sweed, thanks for the question. I hadn't given it much thought as, like others, I have used the 26-man for some time. I was completely unaware of the new expanded 28-man being initiated this early, so you've given me a good pause.

Reading a bit about it, to gain some reference, it seems to me the implications are more obvious and, I think, more financially dependent in RL than OOTP's treatment of the entire roster area. During the season and last of the season, I've seen teams in OOTP vary from 33 to the full 40, most in the latter most of the time, and the same numbers carry into the final month or expanded season. Again, that's OOTP.

My only reference is my personal fictional league, with minimized global coefficient, but otherwise nothing extraordinary, and I've never seen teams so disadvantaged as to only carry 25-27 into the expanded season. And now, as I reflect back on the last few late seasons, I'm not sure that OOTP actually utlized the 40, like it seems RL teams do, but instead played the heck out of the regulars like it was May.

Now you've given me the rambling thoughts.

Last edited by endgame; 05-21-2019 at 08:05 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I would still love to see an added feature where you can have x amount of players on a roster, but only x are active. This would be great for some international and MiLB leagues.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote